Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback?

Not a very good comparison. Jeff couldn't throw on the run, couldn't read defenses very well, and couldn't sell the play action. All things Tanny excels at .

I did not make a comparison, I simply pointed out that physically being able to make all throws does not make you a good QB.

As for what Tranny excels out: clearly throwing the ball on the run he is as good as anyone (I mean that). As for reading defenses and selling play fakes...MEH.

I did not make a comparison, I simply pointed out that physically being able to make all throws does not make you a good QB.

As for what Tranny excels out: clearly throwing the ball on the run he is as good as anyone (I mean that). As for reading defenses and selling play fakes...MEH.
You absolutely were comparing them. The second part in this response I'm not quite sure how to read this. Are you saying that selling a play action fake and reading defenses isn't important.

And Russell Wilson suffered from the crap that surrounded him for the first 4 - 5 years. Nothing like being weighed down by a top defense and running game.

Top running game BECAUSE of Russel Wilson. You do realize they were 31st and 21st in rushing before Wilson came aboard IN 2012. With the addition of his 500 yards rushing per season it pushed them into the top 4 for 4 straight seasons. Lynch got extra opportunities because Wilson converted first downs with his legs. This past season Wilson only rushed for 259 yards and they dropped back into the 20's rushing.

If you take away the Wilson and Tannehill running stats from each team and just compare the yards by running back you will see the benefit isn't as bad as you make it out to be. From 2012 to 2016 you are only talking 16 yards per game.

Personally I attribute the 16 yards per game to having more opportunities. Wilson has beaten Tannehill every season in 3rd down conversions. This along with a great defense gives them more chances to run up the rushing yards.

Now I'll give you the defensive differences over the same period.

I like Rosen and Mayfield, if neither is available at 11 (no fn way I trade up) then draft a defensive player, go TE in the second and then start thinking QB. Tannehill is not as bad as I and some other make him out to be but he also is not as good as some make him out to be. There is no reason to panic and reach at 11, get a developmental guy in the 3rd or the 4th go with Tannehill one more year then go from there.

Why draft a QB before having pieces in place?

Because you will never have them all in place. We have been trying that strategy for a couple decades and it hasn't worked.

Philadelphia didn't have all the pieces in place when they drafted Carson Wentz in 16. In 2015 they were a 7-9 team with a middle of the road offense and bottom of the league defense very similar to our 17 season. They had a QB in place (Sam Bradford) who was serviceable and has very similar career stats as our current QB. 2 years later they are Champs because they took a chance to improve the most important position.

None of the 1st round players we have taken recently have made much of a difference to team success. Is a defensive end that get 2 sacks in his first season a better choice than a QB who can change your franchise? What about a left tackle that leads an offensive line that is near the bottom of league? Or maybe a #1 Receiver that plays more like a 2 or a 3 when he isn't injured. Or a right tackle that isn't going to get extended. The holes you talk about filling are still there. And we missed a change to upgrade the most important position.

Your Eagles comparison doesn't wash. They didn't have pieces in place when they drafted Wentz?

These are just some of the players they *drafted* in the three years leading up to the 2016 draft: Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, Vinny Curry, Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, Bennie Logan, Beau Allen, Nelson Aghlor, Eric Rowe, Jordan Hicks.

All solid contributors; three Pro-Bowlers.

You don't just have to have a strategy in place; you have to execute it properly.

Also, Chip Kelly was an amazingly bad NFL head coach.

Why weren't they any good until they got the QB? Ertz and Johnson have been around for a while. Neither got any recognition until their QB started performing at a high level in 2017.

Who knows, we could have a pro bowler in Parker. With a different QB that doesn't check down he could be totally different. But I doubt it. Just using him as a point of reference. Pro Bowlers are made by having a good QB on your team that wins games that you shouldn't.

Why weren't they any good until they got the QB? Ertz and Johnson have been around for a while. Neither got any recognition until their QB started performing at a high level in 2017.

Who knows, we could have a pro bowler in Parker. With a different QB that doesn't check down he could be totally different. But I doubt it. Just using him as a point of reference. Pro Bowlers are made by having a good QB on your team that wins games that you shouldn't.

This is simply not true.

Lane Johnson was already one of the best Tackles in football and Ertz was already a Top 5-10 TE when Wentz was still throwing footballs in Fargo.

When did Ryan Tannehill show he can be a top 10 QB?

you may have missed it, but the last 8 games (that's a 1/2 season) before he was injured he was putting up top 5 ratings in various categories. Yeah, he was really good- you shoulda seen him!

This is a game of four-year windows for QBs. If you whiff on a QB it sets you back for more than four years only if you are stupid, like the Dolphins, the Bengals, the Lions. It can set you back for fifteen years like that.
If you completely whiff on a Qb like Browns with Manziel it sets you back for a season the most.
But what sets you back the most is not hitting on a QB, or not taking a chance on a new four year window when you do not have the phenom.

This is simply not true.

Lane Johnson was already one of the best Tackles in football and Ertz was already a Top 5-10 TE when Wentz was still throwing footballs in Fargo.

If that is true why weren't they selected to any Pro Bowls before last season? They might have been good but the great QB play made them get the recognition they had missed the previous 4 seasons.

you may have missed it, but the last 8 games (that's a 1/2 season) before he was injured he was putting up top 5 ratings in various categories. Yeah, he was really good- you shoulda seen him!

You may have missed this:

"Tannehill improved in 2016 under Gase, finishing with career bests in yards per attempt (7.7), completion percentage (67.1) and passer rating (93.5). But he did that with a highly managed and limited workload, as the offensive focus shifted elsewhere, which doesn't exactly show confidence in his franchise quarterback status.

Tannehill averaged only 29.9 passing attempts per game in 2016, which ranked a lowly 29th. That led to an equally disastrous average of 230.4 yards per game through the air, a drop of 32.6 yards from 2015.

He improved as a deep-ball thrower but still ranked only ninth with an adjusted completion percentage of 47.4 on throws that traveled 20 yards or more through the air, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage is inflated by his lack of attempts too.

He also isn't comfortable under pressure, even after five seasons and 77 games of NFL experience. In 2016, Tannehill recorded a passer rating of 49.1 when under pressure, per PFF, which ranked seventh-worst of the 33 quarterbacks who logged at least 200 passing attempts.

His play, contract and injury have put the Dolphins in a position that seems difficult but should instead be treated as a golden opportunity to draft a better and cheaper quarterback.

NFL roster construction is a process rooted in maximizing value. The goal is to squeeze as much as possible out of every dollar before smacking up against the salary cap.

That means discarding veterans who are broken, underproducing or unnecessarily expensive. Tannehill is all three, which means the beginning of the end of his time in Miami could come on opening night of the 2018 draft."

Last edited: Saturday at 5:41 PM

Back
Top Bottom