Build the trenches? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build the trenches?

You don’t take another top 5 pick and simply draft a fat guy. You have to draft something more significant, or impactful. You can always draft athletic fat guys later in the draft. How about a franchise QB? I’ll remind you, last time this happened, we drafted Jake long over Matt Ryan, Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers.

J'Marcus Webb, Isaiah Prince, Jesse Davis, and Julien Davenport are possibly the greatest assemblage of Right Tackle talent in the history of ever!!!

:funny: <---EGGS-actly!

Although I would be willing to "suffer" through Davenport at LT (serviceable in Houston), as opposed to RT, where he was less than atrocious at Houston. This would give us a chance to land one in 2021. Flores played him out of position at RT.View attachment 32048View attachment 32048

kkkkkkk.PNG

:funny: <---EGGS-actly!

Although I would be willing to "suffer" through Davenport at LT (serviceable in Houston), as opposed to RT, where he was less than atrocious at Houston. This would give us a chance to land one in 2021. Flores played him out of position at RT.View attachment 32048View attachment 32048

View attachment 32049
I know he did a lot better at LT than RT for Houston.

Webb may be intriguing at RT. He hasn't embarrassed himself at LT for us that I can see, which is a surprise (to me).

It's one thing to build the trenches, and I'm a fan of that approach, but you've just built one trench.
We need a pass rush... we need an EDGE rusher.... badly.

I've always been a fan of building the trenches, but we have a lot of draft picks over the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and we need to secure key positions of QB, pass rusher1, pass rusher 2, and CB2. I'd suspect 3 of those get addressed in 2020 (QB, pass rusher and CB2). Then another pass rusher in 2021. We'll likely draft OL somewhere after the 1st round in both drafts.

That Wisconsin center, Tyler Biadasz, looks like a very good prospect to me. If he sneaks into the 2nd round, I'd really like to add him to the line, even if C is one of our less problematic positions. The kid is special, IMHO.

People who want to disregard one of the most important positions on offense when they have a chance to pick up a top tier qb in this upcoming draft is beyond me. That’s how this team has operated for the past couple of decades. Some of the line can be built through FA on both sides of the ball. I sure as hell don’t want to keep seeing a revolving door behind center and don’t want to “tank” again next year.

My ideal offseason - QB Pick One
Brandon Scherff FA
Oline 2/3 next picks:
Targeting: Biadz, Humphrey, Wirfs, Michigan Guard.
I’m getting my franchise QB and protecting him.

People who want to disregard one of the most important positions on offense when they have a chance to pick up a top tier qb in this upcoming draft is beyond me. That’s how this team has operated for the past couple of decades. Some of the line can be built through FA on both sides of the ball. I sure as hell don’t want to keep seeing a revolving door behind center and don’t want to “tank” again next year.
You don’t want to tank... but that’s exactly what we will be doing

You don’t take another top 5 pick and simply draft a fat guy. You have to draft something more significant, or impactful. You can always draft athletic fat guys later in the draft. How about a franchise QB? I’ll remind you, last time this happened, we drafted Jake long over Matt Ryan, Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers.
Matt Ryan nor Aaron Rodgers went in the top 5. Those QBs were probably flops.

Just because you draft a QB in the top 5 doesn't mean anything.

Matt Ryan nor Aaron Rodgers went in the top 5. Those QBs were probably flops.

Just because you draft a QB in the top 5 doesn't mean anything.

Matt Ryan was drafted 3rd in a year we had the number 1 overall pick. He was a very highly rated prospect and we needed a franchise QB.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th because Nick Saban was an idiot and only drafted SEC players in a year where we had the second overall pick and needed what was it again? Oh yeah a franchise quarterback And instead we drafted a mediocre running back from the SEC because Saban was familiar with him and a bit of an SEC snob. My point is in both of those years we needed a franchise QB, solid franchise QB prospects were available, we had the number 1 and then number 2 pick and we failed to take a chance and draft what we needed the most on two highly rated QB prospects, both of whom have proven how stupid and wrong we were not to take that chance. Because we wanted to “build in the trenches”. Balderdash! That was stupid and we need to learn from our mistakes and make new ones, not repeat the same ones! You think you can find franchise QB’s outside the first round? Guess what? You can find O linemen outside the first round easier. Most of the best QBs starting, not all, but most were drafted pretty high in the first round because most teams understand what I just told you, and when you have one available to you and you don’t have one you don’t draft a friggin Olineman and squander your opportunity! Look at what we have had to go through to get a high draft pick, top 5 and even that isn’t guaranteed because we might actually win more games than anyone expects because there are too many sucky teams. And you want to take all of that and draft a friggin O lineman with our first pick When we have 13 more picks after that including 6 more picks in the first 3 rounds? Draft you Olinemen later for christ sakes...

Point is when you draft that high you should draft an impact player that will change your franchise’s fortunes. And that doesn’t mean a fat guy who can block when you need a franchise quarterback. Maybe, just maybe you go with someone like Chase Young if the qb you want isn’t available and you have multiple first round picks. But you don’t draft a tackle if you don’t have a franchise QB and there are solid franchise QB prospects available, it just doesn’t line up from a value standpoint.

The two examples I quoted above are evidence of that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom