Burnett on Trading Block | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Burnett on Trading Block

MikeO said:
He threw 123 pitches this past Sunday. And in the 3 games before that 105, 105, and 111. He has thrown over 95 pitches in EVERY start this year and has only gone past the 7th inning ONCE (this past Sunday).

Burnett has 3 complete games this season. April 12th and April 17th he went 9 in back to back starts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6314/gamelog

yeah missed those. I was looking at this starts since May. My bad

what do you guys think about this trade scenario, the marlins trade A.J. Burnett and Juan Encarnacion for Gary Sheffield and Tom Gordon of the Yankees. We get a good relief pitcher and a great offensive OF, the yankees get a good SP and a good defensive OF. The way I look at that is everyody is happy, then the Marlins can keep Scott Olsen and Brain Moehlier in the starting rotation with Al Leiter, Josh Beckett and Dontrelle Willis.

nick1 said:
what do you guys think about this trade scenario, the marlins trade A.J. Burnett and Juan Encarnacion for Gary Sheffield and Tom Gordon of the Yankees. We get a good relief pitcher and a great offensive OF, the yankees get a good SP and a good defensive OF. The way I look at that is everyody is happy, then the Marlins can keep Scott Olsen and Brain Moehlier in the starting rotation with Al Leiter, Josh Beckett and Dontrelle Willis.

The Yanks would JUMP all over that deal. I don't think Sheffield would like it and I don't see how it helps Florida.

You won't pay Burnett but you will pay Sheff? That makes no sense.

Sheff will be shipped to either the Cubs or Mets. I think its only a 2 team race.

Burnett is doing okay. I hope we can re-sign him as I hope he doesn't demand much since his season is alright. I don't think we'll trade him, but you never know. We need to hit with RISP...that is our biggest problem.

Sheff isn't saying he won't go. He's just saying a team will have to meet his demands (ie CONTRACT EXTENSION). And any team that will trade for him SHOULD want to give him one. Makes no sense to give up a lot to only get him for a year or two in a very bad attitude
DonShula84 said:

Prime Time said:
Burnett is doing okay. I hope we can re-sign him as I hope he doesn't demand much since his season is alright. I don't think we'll trade him, but you never know. We need to hit with RISP...that is our biggest problem.
we are planning on paying Willis alot of money at the end of this year and that is why I don't think we can afford Burnett, we can't afford both of them unless we get a very rich owner

MikeO said:
The Yanks would JUMP all over that deal. I don't think Sheffield would like it and I don't see how it helps Florida.

You won't pay Burnett but you will pay Sheff? That makes no sense.

Sheff will be shipped to either the Cubs or Mets. I think its only a 2 team race.
it would help the Marlins by giving them another big offensive guy and a good bullpen pitcher. the Marlins don't seem to score runs on a consistent basis and I think added Sheff would help the offense

nick1 said:
it would help the Marlins by giving them another big offensive guy and a good bullpen pitcher. the Marlins don't seem to score runs on a consistent basis and I think added Sheff would help the offense

1) Tom Gordon isn't good! Watch him play.

2) Sheff is an old outfiedler. AJ is a young pitcher. If you have to pay someone, pay the young pitcher! You can find big-hitting outfiedlers anywhere.

I wonder if Florida would be interested in either Mike Stanton or Paul Quantrill, both were cut by the Yankees

nick1 said:
I wonder if Florida would be interested in either Mike Stanton or Paul Quantrill, both were cut by the Yankees
If they were cut by the yankees, imagine how bad they are...

nick1 said:
we are planning on paying Willis alot of money at the end of this year and that is why I don't think we can afford Burnett, we can't afford both of them unless we get a very rich owner

Willis is still under club control and won't make more than 2 or 3 million next year. The problem is, A.J. will demand a Pavano-like deal. Sorry, but we can't pay him $10 million per. BTW, I know A.J.'s next-door neighbor, and he told her he expected to be a Yankee because he wants to be with Pavano again. They're best friends. So go figure. There's an off chance he'll be back, say 3-5%. Probably about 20% to the Orioles and 75% to the Yanks.

Hostile7 said:
If they were cut by the yankees, imagine how bad they are...
the Yankees have high standards

Back
Top Bottom