Burnett's Agent Asking For 1 Million Per Season... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Burnett's Agent Asking For 1 Million Per Season...

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello To ALL....

I talked to Drew Rosenhaus today....and he will be reporting on Sunday----that the Dolphins and the agent for FA DE ROB BURNETT are approximately $300,000 apart on reaching an agreement....and you don't have to be a math major....to figure out why...on this one.

The DOlphins...to no ones surprise.....are offering BURNETT's agent...(SIMS)...the NFL veteran mimimum...$750,000...for 1 year.

And of course....to the surprise of no one....SIMS is counter-proposing the DOlphins to give BURNETT a 1 year....1 million dollar deal... that is pretty much where they are at...both sides.

It appears that the DOlphins will thus allow BURNETT to visit his other possible suitors.....the PATRIOTS and the REDSKINS. Burnett....as you probably know....played for BELICHEK in CLEVELAND....and of course...MARVIN LEWIS..his former DC with the RAVENS...is now with the REDSKINS.

So...the patient and methodical approach continues....I don't see the DOlphins moving up one bit at all in these negotiations....its BURNETT's call. If he decides to sign elsewhere....then I believe the DOlphins will offer that veteran minimum.....to MIKE SINCLAIR....he appears to be on the radar screen....at least on the second screen.

And speaking of radar screens....does anybody out there see RICK SPIELMAN giving in to CHRIS CARTERS....sign me now or else---demands? He has not inked a deal yet with HBO....he still wants to play.....but now....he needs to know from all that are interested in him by no later than MONDAY night? Do you think SPIELMAN calls CARTER at the l1th hour of Monday night....and says "alright CHRIS....here is your 1 year....guaranteed 1.5 million contract". "Ok....you win". "Please call the execs at HBO...and tell them forget it".

Well....I will say this. If CARTER is off the radar screen....and now...it really looks like MCCARDELL is on his way to joining the TAMPA BAY BUCS...and if DERRICK ALEXANDER is really a head case of problems....and if FREEMAN is asking for 2 million per season...then I ask SPIELMAN.....WHO then.....is the PERISCOPE out on? Who else can they be possibly be looking at....for a cheap price? Like Professor Plumb and Miss Scarlet......I haven't a freakin frackin clue, folks!

Is there anybody out there who can chart who RICK SPIELMAN is actually looking at on his RADAR SCREEN? Are there any unidentified flying WIDE RECIEVERS out there?

DCH

I see your giving into my cynacism that the phins are playing too cheap with their money when they don't need to be at this point. If they don't get that aggressiveness back that they had in the beginning of the season they aren't going to land anything but guys who truly deserve min money.

What about Michael Westbrook? He had over a thousand yards receiving in '99, only played in two games in '00, and came back and started all 16 in '01 (54 catches).

OMT,........he's got "first round talent".......:rolleyes: :lol:

Given the Speil-wan penchant for signing players that they are familiar with. My bet is on Herman Moore of Detroit. I'm not sure how I feel about Moore, but a couple of seasons ago he was a major contributor. The last couple have been a maze of injuries.

I don't think Westbook is in the scenario because of his mouth vs production. Remember DW is riding DG hard to put his money where his mouth is or he's gone. I doubt he'd be interested in Westbook.

if this http://nfl.kffl.com/teams/free_agents/2002/wr.shtml is accurate, there is slim pickings out there.

• German, Jammi (UM) ?
  • Jackson, Willie
  • Jacquet, Nate take 2
  • Metcalf, Eric - these 2 PR/KR m/b pretty much worthless at this point
  • Milburn, Glyn

I would rather see us sign Burnett or Coleman than spend the $$$ on a scrub WR.

What about Albert Johnson and Robert Baker? It sure would be nice to see those two guys stay healthy and step up.

Switch Focus

I honestly don't see WR as a need position. Chambers is a budding star, Gadsden is a playmaker and McKnight, though he made some blunders last year, was playing out of position in the slot. Now that we have a good O-Coordinator, Gadsden will play the slot and go back to doing what he does best, making tough tight end like catches over the middle in traffic, while McKnight uses his speed to stretch defenses as the 3rd receiver. Ward is a quality 4th option and the 5th guy - Simmons, Johnson, Baker or Ogden will basically just be a punt/kick returner.

The most glaring need right now is DE depth. Gardener is playing a new position and is suceptible to injury. The only backups are D. Bowens, who's a pass rusher but not a run blocker, and Ogunleye, who's got potential but little experience. If we lose Burnett over a $250,000 difference in salary offer (you know the Skins will give it to him), I'm going to be annoyed. He's a veteran leader with a Super Bowl ring who'd provide great insurance in case DG gets hurt again. They should have signed him two days ago before he even visited Washington and NE.

really slim pickin's at WR anyhow...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/fanball/20020517/fanball-offseasonplayermovem.html

Wide receivers Cris Carter: UFA (2001 team: Vikings) Albert Connell: UFA (2001 team: Saints) Bert Emanuel: UFA (2001 team: Lions) Matthew Hatchette: UFA (2001 team: Jets) Willie Jackson: UFA (2001 team: Saints) Charles Johnson: UFA (2001 team: Patriots) Tony Martin: UFA (2001 team: Falcons) Terance Mathis: UFA (2001 team: Falcons) O.J. McDuffie: UFA (2001 team: Dolphins) Wane McGarity: UFA (2001 team: Saints) Herman Moore: UFA (2001 team: Lions) Drew O'Connor: UFA (2001 team: None) Larry Parker: UFA (2001 team: Chiefs) Chris Thomas: UFA (2001 team: Chiefs) Michael Westbrook: UFA (2001 team: Redskins) Robert Wilson: UFA (2001 team: Saints)

most of these guys are too old, have big off the field problems or suck

Michael Westbrook

Michael Westbrook only had 54 catches last season because he had Tony Banks throwing to him. Michael Westbrook would make us so Dangerous with Chambers, Gadsden, and McKnight @WR and Ricky Williams, Minor, Edwards, and Konrad coming out of the backfield. It would almost be sick!

I think the Phins are pretty content at WR. Sure they'd like to add McCardell. But he won't come cheap. Honestly, I think everyone is making a big deal out of something that isn't such a big deal.

And about Burnett.......some of you say you'll be p*ssed if we let him get away. Are you honestly telling me that you'd pay $1 million for a guy who, if all goes well, will be strictly a second teamer?? Hell, we paid Bromell over $1 million last year. And he saw the field way more than Burnett will.

Come on guys, $1 million is way to much.

fact remains though that we cannot rely on DG to play the entire season and we have no other DEs that can play the run :(

I agree. But not for $1 million dollars.

Re: Switch Focus

Originally posted by NYDolfan
I honestly don't see WR as a need position. Chambers is a budding star, Gadsden is a playmaker and McKnight, though he made some blunders last year, was playing out of position in the slot. Now that we have a good O-Coordinator, Gadsden will play the slot and go back to doing what he does best, making tough tight end like catches over the middle in traffic, while McKnight uses his speed to stretch defenses as the 3rd receiver. Ward is a quality 4th option and the 5th guy - Simmons, Johnson, Baker or Ogden will basically just be a punt/kick returner.

McKnight is going to be playing the slot. He's the one whose been working extra time to learn Norv Turner's slot position because he is the most likely of McKnight/Gadsden to be here this season or next. I think you have also forgotten the Baltimore playoff game. No Chambers, A hurt Orende.

pocket change

A million dollars is a ridiculous amount of money to me and probably to most Dolphin fans. However, in pro sports it aint a lot. In the NFL it's only $250,000 above the veteran minimum. The Phins are 3 million under the cap and it shouldn't take more than about 1.5 million of cap space to sign the rookies. That leaves enough to sign a veteran and DE depth is our biggest weakness. D. Bowens and Ugenleye are fine to fill in and give the starters a breather, but can anybody honestly tell me they wouldn't be worried if Gardener or Taylor went down with an injury? We've seen it happen the last two seasons. Without enough quality D-line depth, we've gotten run over like a steam roller in the playoffs because one or two key guys were injured. And that was with Mixon and Brommel.

My hat's off to the front office for doing a great job with cap management over the past five years or so, however, if they truly want to make a run at it this year, they shouldn't haggle over a few thousand dollars to sign a guy they could really use, particularly when one of the other suitors, NE, is a division rival.

Back
Top Bottom