Buy or Sell...NFL Draft Version | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buy or Sell...NFL Draft Version

I would buy on Chase as well. I think it has to be an offensive playmaker there. Could be Smith or Waddle if Cincinnati takes Chase.

I could buy Phillips at #36. He could be in play at #18, but I would sell there.

My wildcard pick ay #18 is Barmore. I know Miami is in good shape at DT, but the way Barmore played in the playoffs he might fall into the too good to pass category.

I also think Flores loves DT's. Wilkins could play outside a little more.
If we hadn't so blatantly painted ourselves into a corner by jettisoning BOTH Kyle van Noy and Shaq Lawson, maybe, but now, no way we find a hybrid edge at #36 if any other teams want them. It's too easy to move ahead of us in the 2nd round and there are really only 2 or 3 real options for us. The more I think about it ... we're really tied into getting Jaelan Phillips or Zaven Collins, and only Phillips has that athleticism that Grier loves.

I like what this dude has said and seems spot on.
Only thing I'm worried about is Phillips at 18. Dont get me wrong, this guy looks like a super-stallion at #18. I'm just worried about the youngman's health.
I would love to see Phillips in a Dolphins jersey but it is a huge risk but then again the upside is tremendous. If Phillips can stay healthy we might have a real freak on our D Line and I like that.
You're spot on about his health ... unfortunately, 100% of the hybrid edge guys are gambles this year ... it's a "pick your poison" situation of red flags. :/

Is Basham a good guess?
It's possible. He fits the metrics of a strong handed player. He might not add much in terms of pass rush, but is a good player none the less. Although, On the shorter side of what I think Flores likes.

It looks like 99% of the edge guys who've been discussed at #18 come with lots of question marks. I think Miami will defer to making an edge selection until day 2 or 3. Unless its Parsons or Collins still on the board at #18? This is why I feel as if its very possible Miami trades out from #18. JMO

Last edited:
If we hadn't so blatantly painted ourselves into a corner by jettisoning BOTH Kyle van Noy and Shaq Lawson, maybe, but now, no way we find a hybrid edge at #36 if any other teams want them. It's too easy to move ahead of us in the 2nd round and there are really only 2 or 3 real options for us. The more I think about it ... we're really tied into getting Jaelan Phillips or Zaven Collins, and only Phillips has that athleticism that Grier loves.
You may be right. Not a lot of immediate options, at least if Grier and Flores view this team as a contender. I think they must after last year.

Oweh is a swing for the fences, but hard to see him contributing much year one.

Phillips and Basham are probably on Miami's list.

You may be right. Not a lot of immediate options, at least if Grier and Flores view this team as a contender. I think they must after last year.

Oweh is a swing for the fences, but hard to see him contributing much year one.

Phillips and Basham are probably on Miami's list.
Oweh is definitley a swing for the fences, and I drool at this kid's tools much the same way I did for Yertos-Matos (or however that name is spelled). Just tons of potential but the team who drafts him is only going to groom him for FA and his 2nd team (in free agency) will reap the benefit of the draft pick. I'm just not interested in being a farm team for another team in FA.

Really, FA has been a huge bane for the Dolphins. We lose our good players to FA (Olivier Vernon, Jarvis Landry, etc.) and we unbelievably overpay for guys who are busts (Wallace) or cannot justify their salaries (Suh), and the only thing that happens is we lose talent or salary cap ... but we always lose. I kinda thought we struck gold with Byron Jones, Emmanuel Ogbah and Kyle Van Noy, and wasn't going to complain about mediocrity from Shaq Lawson. But we just turned right around and jettisoned Lawson and ate cap to jettison Van Noy, leaving us with almost as bad of a pass rush as we had during the dark days. It's like this team is addicted to FA, and keeps throwing it's livelihood away to it.

Oweh is a quintessential, "Test like Tarzan, plays like Jane"; type of player. Don't get caught up in the measurables. He needs an Awful lot of Seasoning!!! And that still doesn't guarantee he becomes a solid contributor.
He appears to be another Dion Jordan, without the drug issues to me. He is extremely athletic when running around in shorts but he just isn’t productive once the whistle blows. To me he is a third or fourth round prospect who you hope will develop.

As a first round pick, I see him as being a bigger bust opportunity than a player who will be an impact player for the team that drafts him.

He appears to be another Dion Jordan, without the drug issues to me. He is extremely athletic when running around in shorts but he just isn’t productive once the whistle blows. To me he is a third or fourth round prospect who you hope will develop.

As a first round pick, I see him as being a bigger bust opportunity than a player who will be an impact player for the team that drafts him.
That about sums it up!!!

Just heard a rumor I think reported by Tony Pauline (sorry no link) that Miami will stay clear of players who opted out. (I have to imagine that is unless that value is crazy good, like Parsons at 18)
I don't think Miami takes Chase; I would bet Chase goes to Cincy, and Miami ends up with either Pitts or Smith.

Brother we both know 'Tis the Season of Disinformation. I completely believe that Pauline or someone heard that rumor, and it is also entirely possible we leaked it. But that still doesn't change my opinion that almost no (or possibly zero) GM's hold it against these athletes when they sit out. With Chase's answers in interviews and his Pro Day showing he is improving athletically ... I highly doubt we avoid him because he sat out. We may well choose someone we like more, such as Pitts, Smith or Waddle, but not because they played this past year ... it would only be because Grier & Co. had him rated higher.

Me personally, if Ja'Marr Chase is available, he's my BPA, and probably #2 overall after Trevor Lawrence.

Brother we both know 'Tis the Season of Disinformation. I completely believe that Pauline or someone heard that rumor, and it is also entirely possible we leaked it. But that still doesn't change my opinion that almost no (or possibly zero) GM's hold it against these athletes when they sit out. With Chase's answers in interviews and his Pro Day showing he is improving athletically ... I highly doubt we avoid him because he sat out. We may well choose someone we like more, such as Pitts, Smith or Waddle, but not because they played this past year ... it would only be because Grier & Co. had him rated higher.

Me personally, if Ja'Marr Chase is available, he's my BPA, and probably #2 overall after Trevor Lawrence.
Fair point, and I do agree that we may be being mislead.
I am curious to see, when the day comes, if we stay away from opt outs, at least that high at 6.
Now if Parsons would slide to 18...different argument I think- value is just too high.

Oweh is definitley a swing for the fences, and I drool at this kid's tools much the same way I did for Yertos-Matos (or however that name is spelled). Just tons of potential but the team who drafts him is only going to groom him for FA and his 2nd team (in free agency) will reap the benefit of the draft pick. I'm just not interested in being a farm team for another team in FA.

Really, FA has been a huge bane for the Dolphins. We lose our good players to FA (Olivier Vernon, Jarvis Landry, etc.) and we unbelievably overpay for guys who are busts (Wallace) or cannot justify their salaries (Suh), and the only thing that happens is we lose talent or salary cap ... but we always lose. I kinda thought we struck gold with Byron Jones, Emmanuel Ogbah and Kyle Van Noy, and wasn't going to complain about mediocrity from Shaq Lawson. But we just turned right around and jettisoned Lawson and ate cap to jettison Van Noy, leaving us with almost as bad of a pass rush as we had during the dark days. It's like this team is addicted to FA, and keeps throwing it's livelihood away to it.
Yep, that's the risk now. Not just will the player develop but if the light goes on, will he sign with someone else.

I think Oweh would absolutely have been a Miami target last year when the team was clearly building. But, now I think the philosophy shifts just a little bit. The Dolphins need players who will come in and help right away.

On a side not, what is your feeling on Barmore? I personally doubt he gets past Minnesota, but if he's sitting there at #18 will Miami pass?

Yup, lots of Smokescreens out there. One other rumor is Miami's interest in Sewell. I don't believe that one either, unless he drops to #18.

well if we trade Howard then I can understand them taking a corner tho I still wouldn't do it at 6
Right. And as fans we don't know if that contract situation is contentious or not. I think Miami will hold onto X. Howard, but they could flip him for high draft picks this year. You just never know. This franchise has been unpredictable.

Back
Top Bottom