Bye week reflections | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bye week reflections

I liked him as a prospect and would’ve totally been ok drafting him if Tua wasn’t available, which is why I was against trading up for Tua. But I must admit, I didn’t think he’d be this good this fast. He’s a big guy with a big arm and as I recall he aced the Wonderlick so he’s smart too. He’s probably going to be good for a long time.

I am very happy with Tua however, and can’t wait to see if he can be as great as his potential suggests.

So far so good! But can't get too far ahead of yourself with these rookie QBs.

I think you misunderstood me. It wasn‘t whether you or I think the Fins can make the playoffs. It was because you said at the end of your post “Let’s have some realistic expectations here.” Insinuating I was being unrealstic, or out there saying something to the effect that “Oh yeah, now were going to the playoffs because Tua is in.”

That’s what sort of got me on the defensive because that’s not what I was saying at all.

The truth is, there are only a few outcomes that are possible:

1. Tua plays like a rookie, flashes some talent, has some wow moments, but makes some mistakes that he hopefully learns from, we miss the playoffs, but feel good about going into next year with Tua ready to take a leap forward, and adding more firepower to our roster on both sides of the ball leveraging all of those draft picks we have at our disposal.

2. Tua plays like Herbert or Burrow, both of whom have played well enough to win, but aren’t on good teams. Although I suppose we’ll test that hypothesis when we meet the chargers, but I think we have a better team than the Bengals and the Chargers. The AFC East is in play, and they did expand the amount Of playoff teams, so in a scenario where Tua plays decent football, yes, it is possible for us to make the playoffs even going 8-8, and after the Chargers,. The schedule has some very winnable games in November until we run into that buzz saw of the Chiefs, raiders, Bills, and Patriots in December, although the patriots are looking more beatable then they were earlier in the season.

3. Tua Stinks up the joint. Personally, I think that while it’s possible, this scenario is unlikely.

4. Tua gets injured again.

Out of those 4 scenarios, you could say that number 1 is probably the most likely, but number 2, while less likely then number one is possible and not neccessarily unrealistic, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I’m gonna say number one is most likely because that’s pretty much the history of the league regarding good QBs who had success in the NFL. Even Peyton had his growing pains his first season.

As far as the Charger game, I think they have more talent than we do at this point, running game, good WRs who are playmakers and a very solid Dline who creates havoc. I like this game because it will be a real test being we are not that far off talent wise. SD lost a few tough games. It’s not like going up against a superior KC team where we’re expected to lose. It’s a tough contest but a winnable one. Hoping we have a plan to keep Bosa contained.

So far so good! But can't get too far ahead of yourself with these rookie QBs.
True dat! How does Cleveland feel about Baker Mayfield? Or The Jets & Sam Darnold? With all of these guys, talent is only part of the equation. How’s his coaching? Does the Front office put the pieces around him to succeed? Look at Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill.

Here was a guy, now injuries also were a factor, but here was a guy that we had and weren’t sure what he was after 6 or so years, and now his rankings in most meaningful stats have him as like the 5th rated QB in the league. Is that who Ryan Tannehill has always been? I wasn’t sure when he was here, but upon reflection, he was a hard worker, had talent, smart, had heart, and lots of toughness. Seems like if a player possesses those characteristics, then they are more likely to succeed than not, and Herbert may be cut from a similar cloth? but as you say, we shall see...

Last edited:
I’m gonna say number one is most likely because that’s pretty much the history of the league regarding good QBs who had success in the NFL. Even Peyton had his growing pains his first season.

As far as the Charger game, I think they have more talent than we do at this point, running game, good WRs who are playmakers and a very solid Dline who creates havoc. I like this game because it will be a real test being we are not that far off talent wise. SD lost a few tough games. It’s not like going up against a superior KC team where we’re expected to lose. It’s a tough contest but a winnable one. Hoping we have a plan to keep Bosa contained.
That’s fair, and I agree, #1 is more likely than #2, but hope springs eternal. It’s funny, according to:

in Team defense, LAC is ranked #12 overall and we are Ranked #15. But. In Passing defense we are ranked #5, and in scoring defense we are ranked #2. Rushing defense we are ranked 32nd. I feel like the first 3 weeks, especially when Byron Jones was out, and the new players/coaches were developing chemistry we really struggled a lot more than we did the past 3 weeks. So, we’ll see, but I bet that by the end of the year our defense might find the top 10?

Overall team offense, Miami is ranked 14th, and the Chargers are ranked 16th. All this is out the window with Tua starting though in that now this could go either way. It’s a close matchup if Tua plays well, won’t be close if he doesn’t.

Actually I think Chad got hurt and Reed needed another backup so that’s why they got Moore. Moore is on the Chiefs practice squad which means Henne beat him out in 2020. After watching the 2 I find that hard to believe other than Henne has a stronger arm. For everything this else I’d rather roll with Moore.
Hmmm. Henne has a bigger arm but he’s just been a total loser his entire career. Kind of player who snatches defeat from jaws of victory. Moore’s QBR and stat line last year in those 2.5 games was nearly identical to Mahomes. I remember commenting on it that the only thing that was worse was that he was sacked more than Patrick which makes sense. I don’t think Henne would have performed like that. So perhaps it was a stroke of luck in a way for Andy Reid as those games Moore played really mattered.

Hmmm. Henne has a bigger arm but he’s just been a total loser his entire career. Kind of player who snatches defeat from jaws of victory. Moore’s QBR and stat line last year in those 2.5 games was nearly identical to Mahomes. I remember commenting on it that the only thing that was worse was that he was sacked more than Patrick which makes sense. I don’t think Henne would have performed like that. So perhaps it was a stroke of luck in a way for Andy Reid as those games Moore played really mattered.
Agreed! It’s weird because Moore over Henne to me is a no brainer. Chad Henne has never thrown more TD’s than picks in a season he’s played significant time in. NEVER!

Herbert has looked much more polished than i expected this season.
You had a young man with great size, athletic ability, Great arm strength and the best part to go with that arm, innate accuracy..

I had Tua above him but he was an excellent prospect and top 5 value overall in the draft.

You had a young man with great size, athletic ability, Great arm strength and the best part to go with that arm, innate accuracy..

I had Tua above him but he was an excellent prospect and top 5 value overall in the draft.

Easy there...innate accuracy? Lol..He just hid that "innate accuracy" during his entire collegiate tenure for the NFL?

Easy there...innate accuracy? Lol..He just hid that "innate accuracy" during his entire collegiate tenure for the NFL?
Yes, when I studied him I kept seeing those traits..It’s especially impressive when you have such a strong arm..

The coaching staff and front office of the Steelers has to be considered top 3 or better.
Bell? Dont miss him. Antonio Brown who?
If they get decent QB play, they dominate the division, win 10 games and are a threat to win it all. Damn impressive.

As for bye week reflections, Miami has surprised. After two tumultuous weeks, the team has come together.

The defense is being aided by a strong group of defensive backs. They've completely shut down the opponents passing game the last 2 weeks. This has fueled a resurgent front seven. They are making plays in every level of the defense.

The rookie offensive linemen have performed much better than expected, thanks in large part to the excellent coaching job by Steve Marshall.

Flores has once again rallied the players. He's getting the most out of them. You are seeing growth from both 1st and 2nd year players. This is forming the core of the team. All these young kids are maturing together, which should allow for a 4-5 yr run. If they keep improving.

The WR and TE group continue to formulate an underrated core of recievers. They are making plays when given the chance.

The coaching staff has grown along with the players. They've gotten these kids to play sound football. Kudos to them. Especially the younger coaches.

The F/O has finally come together after much needed change. This is the 1st time in many years, F/A has actually worked out positively for Miami. They did a great job in bringing in young veterans who just needed a chance with sound coaching. The 2020 draft is turning out to be the best in quite some time. And the last 2 UDFA class has also brought in some much needed help. Good job by those guys in the F/O.
Funny to say 'underrated group of receivers' when many of us felt that was Miami's best position group coming into the season. Preston Williams got flat-out bigger and he plays big, if not as as quick and explosive as he looked at times. Parker also plays big. Both of them use their bodies like NBA big men. It will be fun to see how these other WRs distinguish themselves as the season goes forward.

I like Karas too, it just seems like we have good depth at Tackle and guard with some guys who have some flexibility to play multiple positions. James, Jackson, kindley, flowers, Hunt can man multiple positions, but if Karas goes down, who can step up and replace him? Also competition at every position is desirable, and we don’t seem to have that at center.

Definitely can’t wait to see if Tua‘s college greatness translates to the nfl.
Seeing Tua be great in the NFL will produce Ecstasy is the Phanbase. Ya just never know what a guy can do until he does it. From Fitz talking about all the throws Tua can make in practice, to Tua looking good in one end-of-game possesion vs the Jest, to him being named starter so to maximize the bye week, it feels like something big is coming.
Just in Tua's short time last Sunday, he showed quick feet and a very quick release. I love how the ball comes out with Tua. "Target Acquired-load delivered".

Back
Top Bottom