Byron Jones: Class Act | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Jones: Class Act

circumstances

Parge Lenis
Club Member
Reaction score
If Jones was bitter after breaking the bank signing with the Dolphins I would be concerned about his attitude.

If Jones was bitter after breaking the bank signing with the Dolphins I would be concerned about his attitude.
When he was asked if he thought he was not re-signed because the team had to re-sign Dak and Amari, he could have just said he didn't know and he was happy to be a fin.

When he was asked if he thought he was not re-signed because the team had to re-sign Dak and Amari, he could have just said he didn't know and he was happy to be a fin.
I understand that. He was being truthful, Dallas has drafted well.

I'm not saying he's not classy, but this doesn't tell me that.

He just signed the most lucrative contract for a CB and his agent structured it so if his play tanks, which I'm not suggesting it will, and Miami decides to move on after two years Jones makes a crap load of $$$$$.

He made much more signing with Miami than he would have if the Cowboys pursued him.

It's easy to make classy statements under those conditions.

For me, classy would be if he didn't get a big contract and had to settle for much less than fair market value and made those statements. Now that would be classy.

I understand that. He was being truthful, Dallas has drafted well.

I'm not saying he's not classy, but this doesn't tell me that.

He just signed the most lucrative contract for a CB and his agent structured it so if his play tanks, which I'm not suggesting it will, and Miami decides to move on after two years makes a crap load of $$$$$.

He made much more signing with Miami than he would have if the Cowboys pursued him.

It's easy to make classy statements under those conditions.

For me, classy would be if he didn't get a big contract and had to settle for much less than fair market value and made those statements. Now that would be classy.
k

Dallas had the ability to re-sign him but was never too interested in doing so. Last year the Joneses would side step the question but always made the point to talk about how they wanted to get the deals done for Cooper, Dak and then Zeke when he pouted.

Cowboys have a few more guys they could cut or restructure to of made Jones a Cowboy for 2020+.

If Bradberry could get $15M per year from the Giants, Jones would have certainly signed a lucrative contract somewhere else if we didn’t pick him up. The Cowboys did not resign him because they have terrible contracts and next to no cap space. You can’t have the most expensive OL, RB, WR, soon to be QB AND CB on your team at the same time. Lawrence (DE) is also on a monster contract. There was never a chance Dallas was going to resign him even if they made the right roster moves to free up enough cap space. They already have too much money tied into too few players and their roster suffers from it.

He is the highest paid CB in the NFL. He went where you could get the most money and I have no doubt he would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys if they had offered him the same amount of money.. He may be a class act but let’s not fool ourselves, this was all about the money.

With or without him, the cowboys are still an average to just above average team.

He is the highest paid CB in the NFL. He went where you could get the most money and I have no doubt he would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys if they had offered him the same amount of money.. He may be a class act but let’s not fool ourselves, this was all about the money.

You mean he did literally the same thing any human would do by going to the team that valued his services the most? I certainly work for the company that pays and/or treats me the best.

I think the money might have been ~75% of why he came. For a team that went 5-11 everyone wanted our coaches. I think Flores and his staff earned a lot of respect around the league last year and there are guys who want to play for him.

What's with posts stating ofcourse cuz of the money? Let's take whatever sportsmanship we can get. Looks good on us.

Byron Jones spoke his mind. He told it like every other F/A that signed with Miami. They all mentioned Brian Flores. That says something about the man who's tasked with leading this young team. Players around the league see the intensity, the leadership and developmental skills Flores possess. They all want to play for him. Jones was even complimentary to Howard and spoke about having the One/Two combo in the secondary. Great leader and great player.

So? He could have signed the highest contract wherever and still not acted graciously and sportsmanlike.

Not all highly paid players have class.

Back
Top Bottom