Byron Jones praises Noah Igbinoghene | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Jones praises Noah Igbinoghene

If X works out his issues and returns for the season, Iggy is only going get into the games if he can win the slot CB position. He will probably see the field when they go to 5 defensive backs if he can’t win the slot position but he isn’t beating out Jones or Howard for one of the outside DB positions.

I didn't suggest that he would beat out one of those guys. But i did suggest the way the league likes to spread the ball he'll get more than enough opportunities to play some meaningful snaps.

I love the culture Flores has established in his short time here where players support each other. The best since Shula.

Dolphins and the Saints are the only two teams achieving 85% vaccination in which Flores played a big educational role in.

Iggy, Holland, Jones give Miami a good young nucleus in the secondary.

I haven’t been this optimistic about the Dolphins since the 90’s.

Thanks for posting that article. I hadn't heard that, and was just recently wondering about that exact issue.
This board is the best. usually.

if we are about to embark on a run, i want our best defensive player on board.

sorry.

trade him in a couple years.

AFTER the Super Bowl victory.

Not before.

whoever mentioned X's contract and "killing our salary cap" in the same sentence, let me put your mind at ease. that isn't an issue.

Byron Jones is excellent in front of the camera. Intelligent and articulate. While X is away, Byron Jones is showing leadership in helping in Noah Igbinoghene's development.
Apparently Xavien Howard and Noah worked out quite a bit together this offseason.

I mentioned this several times during the pre-draft argument threads, but Devonta Smith said that Iggy was the toughest corner that he faced in his career... and Iggy had JUST started playing CB at that point.

THAT is natural born talent/speed/strength.

Once he has seasoning, he could be REALLY good, and considering the hundreds of posts that have been generated calling him a wasted pick, I would love nothing better... maybe not even Tua in the Pro Bowl.
I think the kid could be a gem. Let's just hope he catches the ball better then Byron Jones.

Why on earth do people want X gone? Ten picks doesn’t do it for you? I don’t believe for a second with him that its a fluke and he will revert to the mean. Not at all. This guy has a total knack for making the read, and absolutely breaking on the ball. Unless he loses that burst attacking the ball, or gets hurt, he is money for five plus picks. We are trying to win. There’s no reason to deal your most impactful player from last year unless you get blown away.
Correct. However, I think his act is getting tired and you have to assess how often this is going to happen. Is he going to want another new deal in two years? Sometimes you need to do the BB method of trading guys high. With that said he's a generational talent at cb and they don't come around often.

The point is we've had plenty of practice heroes in the past, always "balling out" in every off-season...just hoping he makes the leap instead of being stuck in that treadmill...seems like a great kid.
Kid came out at 20 years old. Xavien was the definition of average as a rookie. His improvement was gradual yearly until his 3rd when he exploded. He's got to do it on the field though!

I agree, unless the X. Howard situation becomes contentious.

I hope the team doesn't trade Howard, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss that as possibility either.

Agreed. You really should never get rid of an all-world Corner, (especially on a team who's HC likes to build his defense from the Secondary 1st), but if X does become a problem that could hurt the team, it's good if Igbinoghene is ready.

At least if Miami is forced to do that, the pain will be a bit less knowing Igbinoghene can play the position, and that X is such a great talent, there would be a bidding war, and a kings ransom would be what would need to be paid to get him.

For now I pray X goes nowhere, and they do all they can to make sure of that.

Kid came out at 20 years old. Xavien was the definition of average as a rookie. His improvement was gradual yearly until his 3rd when he exploded. He's got to do it on the field though!

Not true at all! X had bite even as a rookie. Hopefully Iggy developes into a star. But X was way ahead of him as a rookie! X certainly had more experience playing the position.

I respect Xs game and I would be happy if X stays and plays great. But I do have an issue with him holding out trying to renegotiate his contract (which he loved when he signed it) now when it still has 2 years remaining. Start negotiating after this season, great but not now. That is the opposite of the culture Grier/Flo are building.

X has four years yet with barely any guaranteed money left coming off a season in which he was one of, if not the best cornerback in the NFL. You play the season and you get hurt again you kiss that chance goodbye. I would do the same if I was Howard.

As a dolphins fan hes my favorite player and I would be devastated if they traded him, but from a pure business perspective? I completely understand

X has four years yet with barely any guaranteed money left coming off a season in which he was one of, if not the best cornerback in the NFL. You play the season and you get hurt again you kiss that chance goodbye. I would do the same if I was Howard.

As a dolphins fan hes my favorite player and I would be devastated if they traded him, but from a pure business perspective? I completely understand
Alex, I get (and respect) your point and its likely an accurate assesment of Xs mindset. I just dissagree with that mindset (Im from a far older generation LOL) . Contracts would be meaningless, if they were renegotiated every year. Business and teams can not function in chaos. Just look at the Jets LOL!

“I keep it very simple for myself. Whether I’m getting paid the minimum or getting paid the most, I’m going to bring my A game every single day. If I’m the second-paid player, I’m not going to change the way I approach the game or how I prepare.”
- Byron Jones
(Miami Herald)

Who’s fault is that? The Dolphins or X and his agent that willing signed the contract which was heavily structured to pay him money up front.

Not true at all! X had bite even as a rookie. Hopefully Iggy developes into a star. But X was way ahead of him as a rookie! X certainly had more experience playing the position.
I like the way you worded this. Yes, he did have bite and was a bit more polished. His 3 year improvement was incredible though.

Back
Top Bottom