Byron Jones praises Noah Igbinoghene | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Jones praises Noah Igbinoghene

Something I'm impressed with is that Howard was working out with Igbinoghene in the weeks leading up to the otas and mini camp knowing that he was likely going to holdout and that Noah could be his eventual replacement if the contract situation doesn't get resolved. Some vets wouldn't have invested their time with a young player who hopes to take their job.
This is something that gets me, in the Should the Dolphins trade Xavien Howard thread, there are posts in there that say Howard is a me first player/person; but, as you point out here, and as I have also read, Howard spent time working with Noah to help him improve. Now I'm not defending X in any way, shape, fashion, or form with his actions in holding out, but that he did that doesn't speak to a totally me first player/person.

This is something that gets me, in the Should the Dolphins trade Xavien Howard thread, there are posts in there that say Howard is a me first player/person; but, as you point out here, and as I have also read, Howard spent time working with Noah to help him improve. Now I'm not defending X in any way, shape, fashion, or form with his actions in holding out, but that he did that doesn't speak to a totally me first player/person.
I brought this point up at the beginning. The only response was, 'good he trained his replacement'. So even if thats the case, you still can't call him selfish. He's looking for more but setting the team up with a successful replacement if the team doesn't G more money.

I’m not sure any of us have an issue with him helping out Noah. Hell I’m not even upset that he wants a better contract. But I do believe he and his agent would have put themselves in a better goodwill position had his client showed up to the minicamps and fully participate in everything.

A point of interest. For fun, let's assume X is traded for draft capital, or, for draft capital and a player other than CB. Unless NI plays up to X's play, the D will suffer and, likely more losses than with X on the field. The debate should be interesting. 'That's OK we only won 7, we got rid of X and got draft picks.' Or, 'Miami had a good shot at a playoff run for the 1st time in years. Getting rid of X cost us 3 games and a playoff appearance.'

Ignoring the actual contract dispute, losing X will hurt this fall. To me, the debate should be 'are we willing to regress for 2-3 years to dump a disgruntled player, when no one knows how much little money is involved.

A point of interest. For fun, let's assume X is traded for draft capital, or, for draft capital and a player other than CB. Unless NI plays up to X's play, the D will suffer and, likely more losses than with X on the field. The debate should be interesting. 'That's OK we only won 7, we got rid of X and got draft picks.' Or, 'Miami had a good shot at a playoff run for the 1st time in years. Getting rid of X cost us 3 games and a playoff appearance.'

Ignoring the actual contract dispute, losing X will hurt this fall. To me, the debate should be 'are we willing to regress for 2-3 years to dump a disgruntled player, when no one knows how much little money is involved.

Im not sure I agree with that conclusion. Paraphrasing that the ONLY way for the defense to be as good or better is for NI to play up to X’s level.

If you’re playing individual team ball then perhaps. But Flo and Co are the epitome of structuring their entire team around complementary ball.

Which means that the front end and back ends are married

Hell I’d argue if our entire defense fails because X is not there and other don’t play exactly like X then that’s more of a reason to emphasize team ball.

Ignoring the contract situation for a minute...if he can stay healthy, hell yes, his play on the field says he isn't going anywhere. But like ANU above me said, if he just shows up, puts in the time with his teammates going through these camps, develops some goodwill there, and has a season like last, or close to it..he can then better position himself to approach the team to renegotiate his contract..like me up for a raise at work, I don't get it this time, but I stay the course at minimum, and/or improve, I get my raise next time I'm up for it.

Im not sure I agree with that conclusion. Paraphrasing that the ONLY way for the defense to be as good or better is for NI to play up to X’s level.

If you’re playing individual team ball then perhaps. But Flo and Co are the epitome of structuring their entire team around complementary ball.

Which means that the front end and back ends are married

Hell I’d argue if our entire defense fails because X is not there and other don’t play exactly like X then that’s more of a reason to emphasize team ball.

Yeah, my point wasn't whether on not Miami wins/loses more games or keeps/trades X. I was focused on the blow back from fans. We know, if Miami loses more games, those desperately hoping '21 would be a deep run will be furious. We were so close, but Grier/Flo blew it over $6mm (fabricated). Conversely, those adamant about a 'contract' will be venting if Miami restructures.
I did not intend to guarantee the loss of X, by himself would cost 3 games. Only gave that as a talking point to get to fan reactions.
As for NI, I don't expect a top 10 season from him. He's still learning and a little raw. Thus, I expect a drop off in play if X leaves. You are right, a loss in one spot and improvement in another or two may be a wash.

Yeah, my point wasn't whether on not Miami wins/loses more games or keeps/trades X. I was focused on the blow back from fans. We know, if Miami loses more games, those desperately hoping '21 would be a deep run will be furious. We were so close, but Grier/Flo blew it over $6mm (fabricated). Conversely, those adamant about a 'contract' will be venting if Miami restructures.
I did not intend to guarantee the loss of X, by himself would cost 3 games. Only gave that as a talking point to get to fan reactions.
As for NI, I don't expect a top 10 season from him. He's still learning and a little raw. Thus, I expect a drop off in play if X leaves. You are right, a loss in one spot and improvement in another or two may be a wash.
I agree with every word of this...

This debate won't end with whatever decision the 'phins make.

I do think that the probable improvement in our pass rush SHOULD make up for a decline at CB, but you never know.

It's not about being a practice hero. It's about a young player with objectively elite athleticism putting in the work. It's about trusting the process.
Exactly. A 26 yr old practice warrior doesn't impress me at all. With a 21 year old one w his level of experience, he's at least showing he has the talent.

Whether he can convert that talent into gameday production is the question. Not going to hold it against a 20 yr old for struggling to do so to this point.

Back
Top Bottom