Byron Jones??? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Jones???

I keep reading how X has outplayed his contract, and that's just false. First year after he signed, he missed 11 of 16 games, then completed a top-3 CB full season. When he signed his contract, he was the highest paid CB in the league. Has he given the #1 production in the league as a CB for those 2 years? So 40% of the way through the contract (25% of the way through the extended period) he hasn't lived up to it, if we're being technical. To act like this league isn't about production is folly...all players know this. Yes, the contracts are slanted toward the organization...why wouldn't they be? The players collectively have accepted it...if it's not good enough, strike and get more (personally I think they should).

He missed 2/3s of his first year on the contract and still got paid...I didn't hear him holding out to get less money since he wasn't living up to it production-wise.

If he just wants more of his contract guaranteed, I'm all for it. If he wants to be paid more, but will have to earn it through incentives (lofty ones at that, including games played), I'm all for it. We just really don't know what's being demanded. I can't see Grier and Co letting this get this far for a simple "more guaranteed" request, but who knows. If they are, then I'm on X's side.

If he wants the highest paid NFL CB contract as of right now, pound sand. What's to say he couldn't come back again next year with the same demand?

I keep reading how X has outplayed his contract, and that's just false. First year after he signed, he missed 11 of 16 games, then completed a top-3 CB full season. When he signed his contract, he was the highest paid CB in the league. Has he given the #1 production in the league as a CB for those 2 years? So 40% of the way through the contract (25% of the way through the extended period) he hasn't lived up to it, if we're being technical. To act like this league isn't about production is folly...all players know this. Yes, the contracts are slanted toward the organization...why wouldn't they be? The players collectively have accepted it...if it's not good enough, strike and get more (personally I think they should).

He missed 2/3s of his first year on the contract and still got paid...I didn't hear him holding out to get less money since he wasn't living up to it production-wise.

If he just wants more of his contract guaranteed, I'm all for it. If he wants to be paid more, but will have to earn it through incentives (lofty ones at that, including games played), I'm all for it. We just really don't know what's being demanded. I can't see Grier and Co letting this get this far for a simple "more guaranteed" request, but who knows. If they are, then I'm on X's side.

If he wants the highest paid NFL CB contract as of right now, pound sand. What's to say he couldn't come back again next year with the same demand?

I'm kinda in the middle. If X wants more money, but not RIDICULOUSLY more, I'd do that. If he want s 'highest in NFL' money, I'll pass. Our problem is no one knows how to define 'more.' Similar to 'he opted out last year, I'd cut him.' No one knows how Flo/Grier react to opt outs or restructured contracts.

My small point of view is I get both sides.

X is frustrated that he isn't the highest paid corner in the league nevermind not being the highest paid on the team... I get it

X also wants security against injuries and requests more guaranteed.. I get it

The front office will turn around and state that he has four seasons (including this) left on a contract... I get it

My issue is X....

Just looking at his perceived request of more money and guaranteed to protect him and his, what he has to realise is yes he played at a phenomenal level last year and yes he deserves to be the highest paid corner in history based on last year's production. But in 2019 X was paid $15,285,641 for not very much production (17 tackles and 1 interception), he was injured and faced arrest and subsequent enquiries.

The TEAM supported him and still gave him a five year contract, despite above average production in the previous four years (total of 12 interceptions).

My take is X should realise he has been supported by the TEAM and he is paid extremely well with no tax. Ball out this season and prove last wasn't a fluke then X my lad you could demand QB money

My small point of view is I get both sides.

X is frustrated that he isn't the highest paid corner in the league nevermind not being the highest paid on the team... I get it

X also wants security against injuries and requests more guaranteed.. I get it

The front office will turn around and state that he has four seasons (including this) left on a contract... I get it

My issue is X....

Just looking at his perceived request of more money and guaranteed to protect him and his, what he has to realise is yes he played at a phenomenal level last year and yes he deserves to be the highest paid corner in history based on last year's production. But in 2019 X was paid $15,285,641 for not very much production (17 tackles and 1 interception), he was injured and faced arrest and subsequent enquiries.

The TEAM supported him and still gave him a five year contract, despite above average production in the previous four years (total of 12 interceptions).

My take is X should realise he has been supported by the TEAM and he is paid extremely well with no tax. Ball out this season and prove last wasn't a fluke then X my lad you could demand QB money
I entirely agree. We didn't dock him when he was paid to be the best and wasn't. Now for one year (his second full season in his NFL career), he is better and now he needs more money? Why don't we give him a fully performance-based contract? Give him the opportunity to make $100 million this year if he starts making 3 ints per game. he can also make zero.

I'm kinda in the middle. If X wants more money, but not RIDICULOUSLY more, I'd do that. If he want s 'highest in NFL' money, I'll pass. Our problem is no one knows how to define 'more.' Similar to 'he opted out last year, I'd cut him.' No one knows how Flo/Grier react to opt outs or restructured contracts.
Well he's praising Wilson. I wasn't sure about opt out either. I had Chase off our board because of it. But then we nabbed Holland.

I like Byron Jones…but it never made sense to me when you an Xavien Howard, and spent a valuable 1st round pick on Igbo? Why you would create this problem by signing Jones to a bigger deal than Howard?
They signed Jones before they drafted Iggy. They obviously didn’t know if Iggy would be available in the draft and even when they drafted him, he was said to be a player who would take time to develop and not be an instant starter.

Also Howard was coming off a year where he was on IR and had knee surgery. So the Dolphins also didn’t know how Howard would come back after surgery.

0% chance of that.

ZE-RO.

...and this guaranteed money narrative is so silly. Players play out their contracts ALL the time... they call it 'betting on themselves', and they do this to secure a big contract, which X did.

But now she cries that it's not good enough, even though she received the largest contract for a CB in history when she signed it. But now she wants to blackmail the team and she is refusing to fulfill her end of the deal.

Be a man X, do what you agreed to do.
I just can't believe how weak the NFL union is. It boggles my mind how basketball and baseball players can get the money they do guaranteed and NFL players scramble their brains for these contracts. Meanwhile, the revenue just continues to dwarf the other sports. So much of this could be avoided. That said, he has a contract so man up play.

Heh!

I'm being very reasonable. I am describing his selfish behavior... his jealousy over Jones' contract, his unwillingness to do what he signed a contract to do.

He's (or she) is a liar.
Scottie Pippen took **** for this for years. He chose his contact and when he realized he didn't have a leg, he caved. I think that's where this is headed.

I just can't believe how weak the NFL union is. It boggles my mind how basketball and baseball players can get the money they do guaranteed and NFL players scramble their brains for these contracts. Meanwhile, the revenue just continues to dwarf the other sports. So much of this could be avoided. That said, he has a contract so man up play.
The one thing that the NFL guys have is they get an actual set % of the revenue, and since most of the money comes from TV rights, all the teams have reasonably similar resources.
Beisboll could NEVER have this because some teams make so much more than others.

This leads me to one observation about the nfl player's contract. That is the fact that if all contracts were guaranteed, there would likely be LESS money for free agents and newer players than there is now.

Think about it, since there is a hard cap and each team has EXACTLY the same amount to spend, every dollar that went to retired/cut players would come DIRECTLY out of the pockets of players who were still playing... there'd be no NY Yankees to shrug their shoulders and sign the next guy.

The NFL guys have agreed that the money be split more equitably, and that it be applied to players who are still playing. It isn't a bad system for 90% of the players-- the only ones who it hurts are the mega salary guys.

I like the system... getting a percentage of the receipts is something every employee everywhere would benefit from.

The one thing that the NFL guys have is they get an actual set % of the revenue, and since most of the money comes from TV rights, all the teams have reasonably similar resources.
Beisboll could NEVER have this because some teams make so much more than others.

This leads me to one observation about the nfl player's contract. That is the fact that if all contracts were guaranteed, there would likely be LESS money for free agents and newer players than there is now.

Think about it, since there is a hard cap and each team has EXACTLY the same amount to spend, every dollar that went to retired/cut players would come DIRECTLY out of the pockets of players who were still playing... there'd be no NY Yankees to shrug their shoulders and sign the next guy.

The NFL guys have agreed that the money be split more equitably, and that it be applied to players who are still playing. It isn't a bad system for 90% of the players-- the only ones who it hurts are the mega salary guys.

I like the system... getting a percentage of the receipts is something every employee everywhere would benefit from.
The NFL does a better job of trying to keep players with their franchises as well. The way the players in the NBA control the narrative is embarrassing.

The NFL does a better job of trying to keep players with their franchises as well. The way the players in the NBA control the narrative is embarrassing.
Each sport is financially different. An NBA roster is tiny compared to the NFL... and they play more games as well. Lots of revenue, very few employees...
Beisboll is the worst... with no revenue sharing and almost no National TV money, there are the 10-12 teams who have a legitimate chance to win, and everyone else.

So, it's hard to compare the sports, they have VERY different realities.

If the NFL had contracts like the NBA and MLB, it would be a much different league. Since each team only has a certain amount of money to spend each year because of the salary cap, can you imagine how much of their cap would be tied up on injured players who are no longer in the league and players who were cut but still under contract?

The NFL have much larger rosters than NBA and MLB teams do. The contracts in the NFL are set up to insure that players are guaranteed a certain part of the money in their contract and any money they receive beyond that guaranteed money only is paid as long as the player remains on the roster.While that might not seem fair to the players. It really is the only way teams can continue to remain under the cap while still fielding a competitive team.

0% chance of that.

ZE-RO.

...and this guaranteed money narrative is so silly. Players play out their contracts ALL the time... they call it 'betting on themselves', and they do this to secure a big contract, which X did.

But now she cries that it's not good enough, even though she received the largest contract for a CB in history when she signed it. But now she wants to blackmail the team and she is refusing to fulfill her end of the deal.

Be a man X, do what you agreed to do.

Concur 421%

That said, there is a reason a buddy & I call WR & CB.... the diva positions

Back
Top Bottom