Cade McNown | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cade McNown

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyNock

Starter
Reaction score
I haven't heard much information lately about Cade McNown, has anyone heard how he has been coming along?

Hey, DCH have you heard anything on him lately, I remember you had some info on him last year.

I think everyone forgets about him and how highly he was regarded when he came out of college. He very well may be our QB of the future.

Chicago threw him into the fire to fast with a terrible team and he didn't have much of a chance to survive that.

I can't wait to hear how he does in mini camps. Norv may be able to really help him become a successful QB.

:confused: :confused:

CADE WILL HAVE TO SHOW SOMETHING...

Cade Mcknown is clearly the #3 Qb on this football team....and now...with NORV...I believe this will be his third Offensive Coordinator. Mcknown is down here...working out....and has actually been buddying up with RICKY WILLIAMS...as he has been kind of guiding him around....and introducing him to the other players...and has taken him around the city as well.

Qb Coach MIKE SHULA has worked with Mcnown this off-season....on his mechanics....however....even SHULA is just now getting adjusted to NORV's new offense...just like everyone else. For All the QB's...and offensive coaches alike....this is an entire new TERMINOLOGY of formations....and NORV has been lecturing to the entire offensive side...on what is expected to be just a cotinuous work in progress. The install of the offense...and what is grasped quickly and efficiently is what CADE McNown has got to be concerned about.

I think Mcnown is going to see his reps in the pre-season....and we will have to evaluate his progress then. But as far as his behavior...I know some people were concerned about that....but Mcnown has just been a model citizen and teammate down here.

The bottom line is that I don't think anyone knows what to expect out of Mcnown...until we can actually see him for ourselves...out there in training camp. Like I said...he has been working on his footwork...and mechanics...with Shula....and you should now assume that he is quite acclimated down here with what is expected. Now...its up to CADE to prove he can come in and help the Dolphins if need be... He has to prove to NORV now....that he can handle his type of pass offense.

I do believe and have heard that the Dolphins will bring in another QB....to challenge Mcnown....whether through the draft or at the end of the draft...(undrafted Qb). But the Dolphins always bring in at least 4-5 Quarrterbacks at the start of camp anyway....no big deal.

I think CADE will show some improvement....but lets face it....there is no Qb controversey on the horizon... just expect CADE to be on the roster when its all said and done.

You know...the QB that I would like to see show some more IMPROVEMENT is RAY LUCAS.....particularly in the mental side of the game. Lucas....I may point out...struggled at times with CHAN's system...especially in camp and in the pre-season last year. Now...he too....must learn an entire new system.

It should be interesting as far as LUCAS and Mcnown are concerned....could be some backup competition there...we will see who steps it up....and who will grasp the system better.

DCH

i believe lucas is our #2 no matter what. he's a perfect #2...if jay gets hurt, i believe mcnown will be the guy. i believe the phin brass has plans for him

Originally posted by JimmyNock

I think everyone forgets about him and how highly he was regarded when he came out of college. He very well may be our QB of the future.

Ryan Leaf, Jim Drunkenmiller, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, Tommy Maddox, and Andre Ware all looked great coming out of college too. He has a lot to prove in the preseason, if he wants to stay on the team.

No one can really tell yet. He only ran the practice squad last year, but is likely to get many reps this preseason. The only thing that has relly been said of him thus far is, his attitude has done a complete 180. In Chigago he didn't put enough time in off the feild to win the job, but since comming to Miami he has a great work ethic. Reports say that he stayed after practice to get one one time with Shula. I think Dave is pulling for him to win the #2 job this offseason and will get a good oppurtunity to do so.

IMO I think Cade can learn alot from Fiedler, both are QBs with average or below average arm strength that have to use their brains and legs a little more than other QBs with more arm strength.

It could actually be a smooth transition from Jay to Cade in a few years.

The things I've heard...

...suggest that McNown is not an accurate enough passer to be effective in the NFL. Perhaps the work on his mechanics is supposed to fix that, but I don't think it's a good idea to pencil in McNown as Miami's qb of the future.

Jeff

I don't think anyone is really peciling him in as much as feeling he has the "Potential" with proper mechanics to be a starter.

He seems to be a guy that could be a late bloomer and find his game later in his career.

Just like pitching, mechanics has a lot to do with accuracy and could improve his game greatly.

i say we wait until we know for sure as turner works wonders with his qbs so lets just wait and see

Actually, McNown has quite a bit of arm strength and has pretty good accuracy on long passes. It's the short passes that have always given him problems. Hopefully he's remedied that by now and is on his way to becoming the type of QB everyone- including JJ, who was contemplating trading up for him- thought he would be.

Quote from above:

"IMO I think Cade can learn alot from Fiedler, both are QBs with average or below average arm strength that have to use their brains and legs a little more than other QBs with more arm strength."

What the hell are you talking about? Jay has above average arm strength, not average or below average. I'm not saying he has a GREAT arm by any means. But give him credit he deserves!

Originally posted by chambers84
Quote from above:

"IMO I think Cade can learn alot from Fiedler, both are QBs with average or below average arm strength that have to use their brains and legs a little more than other QBs with more arm strength."

What the hell are you talking about? Jay has above average arm strength, not average or below average. I'm not saying he has a GREAT arm by any means. But give him credit he deserves!

Hellion is right. Fiedler does has a weak arm.
Fiedler can make short throws and plays on his feet, but he does not have a strong arm.

Heh, actually Fiedler's arm isn't bad. He's rifled some shots 40 yards down the field before. His arm is stronger than any of the AFC pro-bowlers. He's slightly above average. With the Favres and Mannings out there, people overlook Fiedler's arm.

Fiedler has a weak arm? Look at all the long TD bombs to Chambers!?!?! Are you people blind?? How about the long PERFECT throw to James McKnight in the Playoff game vs Baltimore that hit McKnight in the damn head in the endzone then was picked off!! Like I said before he doesn't have a great ar,, but better than over 1/2 the league!

Originally posted by chambers84
Fiedler has a weak arm? Look at all the long TD bombs to Chambers!?!?! Are you people blind?? How about the long PERFECT throw to James McKnight in the Playoff game vs Baltimore that hit McKnight in the damn head in the endzone then was picked off!! Like I said before he doesn't have a great ar,, but better than over 1/2 the league!

Ok here we go.
I said he had an average to below average arm not a WEAK arm so the only one who is blind is you, or maybe you just can't read.Fiedler consistantly can throw darts 20 to 30 yards but anything past that his balls rainbow, yes he can throw a couple on a rope longer but not CONSISTANTLY. Not like Manning can or Farve,Vick Caulpepper,Brooks,Bledsoe,,,,,those QBs can consistantly throw it deep on a rope, I'm not saying it makes them better than Jay or that Jay is a poor QB, and YES people do under estamate his arm, but those people think he has a weak arm, I do not! AVERAGE NFL QBs arm, I wish I had an average NFL QBs arm.
There have been some NFL QBs that have been tagged with the label of average arm, guys like Joe Montana,Joe Thiesman,Bob Griese,Fran Tarkaten(sp?), and I'm sure I'm missing a few.
I have been a supporter of Jay's from the day he took his first snap with Miami and I am by no meens insulting his abilities, but I'm not gonna say he has an ABOVE average NFL arm when I know he dosen't.
Yes he can throw a long ball, but IF the Fins were down by a large amount of points you're not going to see Fiedler magically start throwing darts like a Marino or Favre of 40+ yards on consistant basis to get them back in the game.
People under estamate Fiedler,there's no doubt about it, but don't make his arm out to be something it's not.
I'll take an intellegent mobile QB with an average arm over the Jim Druckenmillers of the world any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom