Cadillac will be the guy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cadillac will be the guy

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, after a trade down, will be the Dolphins first selection in the 2005 Draft. Write it down. I have gone through just about every scenario, and this one seems to make the most sense in the sense that a) Williams is an excellent player that would represent great value beyond the first 5 or 6 picks b) Saban isn't big on the hype names..i.e the "big name" Benson, and the guy who has caught everyone's attention with a tremendous workout. Saban likes football players c) With everyone talking about Edwards, Smith, Rodgers, Benson, Brown....this kid has gotten lost in the shuffle and Saban gets his man, a true football player, picking up some extra picks in the process.

Williams is "undersized." This is the main part of the argument against him...yea, he's not 6-0 235 like Ronnie Brown, or a battering ram like Benson, but he has a very strong, compact, muscular frame and at 5-11 217 with that type of build he is a good sized running back that can carry the load. He also runs very tough inside and is pound for pound the toughest back in the draft. Beyond that, Williams doesn't run an incredible 40 time but he is fast, let there be no doubt about that, and he has some real breakaway speed. Unlike Brown, he gets into top gear very quickly and doesn't need to build up to that speed. He has tremendous vision, he's a patient runner, he attacks the hole and makes big time yardage after contact. Combine that with his quickness, agility and moves and this is a back that I think, a couple of years from now, will be looked at as the cream of the crop from this year's draft. He is also a classy player, has good character, and is willing to work hard and do what's best for the team. That is what he's about. He also showed impressive pass catching skills at the Senior Bowl, which was nice because with Brown at Auburn he didn't get that many opportunities to show this off. Williams is a complete back that would be great for a wide open offense that already has a FB/HB hybrid in Sammy Morris for short yardage and goal line situations. Cadillac would be a 15-20 carry a game guy who can blow a game wide open and strike at any time.

Let's face it, Brown, if he ran a 4.65 and didn't decieve people with outstanding sprinter speed (but less game speed, breakaway ability, quickness, agility than Williams) would be looked at as a J.J Johnson type of guy and would go much later in the draft. Benson is a very, very good runner...but not a team player and a guy that has a lot of wear and tear on him. The Dolphins are going to pick up Williams, pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd probably, and then draft a guy like Charlie Frye and a Safety like Brodney Pool (if we can move Surtain) later on.

You're logic is skewed here...if what you said about Brown is true, then the same is true about Benson or Caddy...that they "decieved" people by rushing for the 3000-5000 yards each and the combines and All-Star games, personal workouts, etc...If Brown's speed is a deceptive tool, then so is Benson batter ram rushing and Caddy's elusiveness and "completeness" as you described it...look, I'm not knocking Caddy, I think Brown (as do most scouts and draftniks) has the makings of a better pro than Benson or Caddy, but that doesn't mean I'd be dissapointed if we got Caddy over Brown...Brown didn't decieve anyone...he showed what he is made of, just like Caddy and Benson did. And, personally, from researching some of Linehan's history, he likes the Brown type of big, brusing, can break it after getting past the first defender, and is a good reciever out of the backfield. Now, if we trade down and can't get Brown, so be it...but I still question your logic in comparign the three backs, except that as you said, it seems that Caddy is somewhat overlooked due to the other two guys...

For some reason I just can't see us taking Caddy. I don't know, maybe I'm a sucker for "big names" but I'd rather have Benson, Brown, Edwards or Smith than Caddy.

PhinfanBo1 said:
Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, after a trade down, will be the Dolphins first selection in the 2005 Draft. Write it down. I have gone through just about every scenario, and this one seems to make the most sense in the sense that a) Williams is an excellent player that would represent great value beyond the first 5 or 6 picks b) Saban isn't big on the hype names..i.e the "big name" Benson, and the guy who has caught everyone's attention with a tremendous workout. Saban likes football players c) With everyone talking about Edwards, Smith, Rodgers, Benson, Brown....this kid has gotten lost in the shuffle and Saban gets his man, a true football player, picking up some extra picks in the process.

Williams is "undersized." This is the main part of the argument against him...yea, he's not 6-0 235 like Ronnie Brown, or a battering ram like Benson, but he has a very strong, compact, muscular frame and at 5-11 217 with that type of build he is a good sized running back that can carry the load. He also runs very tough inside and is pound for pound the toughest back in the draft. Beyond that, Williams doesn't run an incredible 40 time but he is fast, let there be no doubt about that, and he has some real breakaway speed. Unlike Brown, he gets into top gear very quickly and doesn't need to build up to that speed. He has tremendous vision, he's a patient runner, he attacks the hole and makes big time yardage after contact. Combine that with his quickness, agility and moves and this is a back that I think, a couple of years from now, will be looked at as the cream of the crop from this year's draft. He is also a classy player, has good character, and is willing to work hard and do what's best for the team. That is what he's about. He also showed impressive pass catching skills at the Senior Bowl, which was nice because with Brown at Auburn he didn't get that many opportunities to show this off. Williams is a complete back that would be great for a wide open offense that already has a FB/HB hybrid in Sammy Morris for short yardage and goal line situations. Cadillac would be a 15-20 carry a game guy who can blow a game wide open and strike at any time.

Let's face it, Brown, if he ran a 4.65 and didn't decieve people with outstanding sprinter speed (but less game speed, breakaway ability, quickness, agility than Williams) would be looked at as a J.J Johnson type of guy and would go much later in the draft. Benson is a very, very good runner...but not a team player and a guy that has a lot of wear and tear on him. The Dolphins are going to pick up Williams, pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd probably, and then draft a guy like Charlie Frye and a Safety like Brodney Pool (if we can move Surtain) later on.

I agree 100% with you post, I too think this is Saban's guy, esp. when we will be able to pick up some extra picks. I feel Carnell Williams will be a Dolphin come Saturday!!!
And as the president of the Caddy club, you are welcomed in with open arms!!!:tongue:

LarryFinFan said:
You're logic is skewed here...if what you said about Brown is true, then the same is true about Benson or Caddy...that they "decieved" people by rushing for the 3000-5000 yards each and the combines and All-Star games, personal workouts, etc...If Brown's speed is a deceptive tool, then so is Benson batter ram rushing and Caddy's elusiveness and "completeness" as you described it...look, I'm not knocking Caddy, I think Brown (as do most scouts and draftniks) has the makings of a better pro than Benson or Caddy, but that doesn't mean I'd be dissapointed if we got Caddy over Brown...Brown didn't decieve anyone...he showed what he is made of, just like Caddy and Benson did. And, personally, from researching some of Linehan's history, he likes the Brown type of big, brusing, can break it after getting past the first defender, and is a good reciever out of the backfield. Now, if we trade down and can't get Brown, so be it...but I still question your logic in comparign the three backs, except that as you said, it seems that Caddy is somewhat overlooked due to the other two guys...

Linehan's history of backs??? He didnt have one back over 215lbs? where is you source for this research? He doesnt like bruiser backs, he likes smaller cutback/elusize backs, how have the ability to take it all the way. I have to agree with the orginal poster, that if it hadnt been for Ronnie Brown's unoffical 40 run, he wouldnt be up there with Caddy or Benson.

b) Saban isn't big on the hype names..i.e the "big name" Benson, and the guy who has caught everyone's attention with a tremendous workout

How do you know?

Saban likes football players

You mean an all around player who can run, block and catch well? Ronnie Brown is more than just a workout warrior. I wouldnt mind getting Caddy at all after a trade down I just disagree with your assessment of Ronnie Brown

knight6jb said:
that if it hadnt been for Ronnie Brown's unoffical 40 run, he wouldnt be up there with Caddy or Benson.

His official 40 time was impressive also and Im sure that is what Scouts look at. It isnt like people had Ronnie Brown rated as a mid to late round pick before the combine. Seems like most people have had him above Caddy or right with Caddy the entire off season.

I can't wait for Caddy to be a Dolphin, right after we trade down to the BUCS pick. I want CADDDY

I'm on the Caddie Bandwagon now, I hope we draft the guy, he will be amazing.

DonShula84 said:
His official 40 time was impressive also and Im sure that is what Scouts look at. It isnt like people had Ronnie Brown rated as a mid to late round pick before the combine. Seems like most people have had him above Caddy or right with Caddy the entire off season.

I agree the most scouts I'm sure look at the official time, but with all the fans on here. Before the combine almost everyone was on the benson bandwagor (not all). But had Brown ran a 4.55 or whatever it was Benson ran, he wouldnt be rated up in the top 10 or 15 IMHO.

you maybe right I like ronnie brown

but i have a funny feeling Cadillac may end up being the best rb
out of the 3 top backs

Cinton Portis type back

PhinfanBo1 said:

We could argue all day about Browm. You simply should not compare him to J.J. Johnson. Compare him to Eddie George at least. He may be a star, but at least a long term solid back, you can go to the bank.

It is all irrelevant anyway because Saban won't draft a RB second overall. Can you imagine the expectations? He will not put that pressure on the back and himself with his inaugural pick. He will first trade down, or second take QB Alex Smith. A logical choice. He may even surprise us all and take a certain defender to work in the system he prefers. Going for the RB would be Wanny like (picking for now, not the future). Thinking we are a running game away from the superbowl would be wrong, so pick the QB and let him develop while you rebuild the team. No we were not as bad as 4-12 shows, but there are holes to fill, and veterans that will sadly not be part of a superbowl run with the fins. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we need more than a RB. Take the QB now and pick up a RB later. For now We will get by with the current stable of RB's and GUS and A.J. will fight for the temporary starting spot, until the new Quarterbck takes over when he's ready.

Back
Top Bottom