Camp Day 11 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp Day 11

What are your thoughts on experience level, height, and speed as it relates to closing down on the football when it gets in the open and you have a lot of green to cover, which happens if you're a Cover 1/Cover 3 free safety? I'm just talking about something as simple as closing down and finishing the tackle in the open.

My feeling is the height and speed deficiencies leave you with very little margin for error, and that might be OK if you have a lot of experience to draw on. But he's a career slot. He's generally played close to the action.

Same issue can be brought up in a different way when it comes to making that decision whether to play the ball or play it safe and go for the tackle on deep passes. Lack of height and overall athletic prowess could make it harder to do both.

I know that I've heard Nick Saban say he'd never put a 5'9" guy back there.

Absolutely. You've heard me say before that if you can't make open field tackles in one-on-one situations, you cannot be a starter at this level. I think they're experimenting with McCain at safety in order to salvage his career. I don't think they believed it was going to workout for him at cornerback.

You have to be in phase to play the ball. If you're not in phase you have to understand that you can't play the ball and must make the tackle. Mental errors like that are what the coaches will coach hard to eliminate. In other words, we know what your physical limitations are in certain situations, but if we can rely on you to not make the mental errors - we can work around that as much as possible. The mental errors we can't scheme for. It will cost football games.

What are your thoughts on experience level, height, and speed as it relates to closing down on the football when it gets in the open and you have a lot of green to cover, which happens if you're a Cover 1/Cover 3 free safety? I'm just talking about something as simple as closing down and finishing the tackle in the open.

My feeling is the height and speed deficiencies leave you with very little margin for error, and that might be OK if you have a lot of experience to draw on. But he's a career slot. He's generally played close to the action.

Same issue can be brought up in a different way when it comes to making that decision whether to play the ball or play it safe and go for the tackle on deep passes. Lack of height and overall athletic prowess could make it harder to do both.

I know that I've heard Nick Saban say he'd never put a 5'9" guy back there.

I keep hoping that Flores will come out and say that they wanted to get McCain reps there for depth and versatility purposes. My strong preference would be, short of a string of injuries, we never see McCain as our centerfielder. Id be happy to be proven wrong but I think he's a complete square peg there. As you noted earlier (paraphrased), he could lose us some games that would otherwise be winnable.

Take gesicki off tbe field and put that dude on flexed. Force the defense to put their 3rd or 4th corner over him. No lb or safety gonna do anything with that. Well maybe derwin James. I’d like to see how minkah does matched up

It’s childs play lol

That’s got mismatch usage written all over it

Personally, this McCain at FS thing is a real monkey wrench for me. I think it could lose them games. But right now, I'm not sure they're averse to losing games.

They can't trade McCain. They can't cut him. And they want him out of the way so that Minkah can begin to realize his full potential. That's what has led to this move. And if it results in some unpleasant outcomes where the defense plays decent football on 65 of 70 plays, but they give up 30+ points and lose the football game anyway...so be it. They can circle back and get a real FS next off season.

Next year, only $3.0 million of McCain's $5.5 million salary is guaranteed. They can safely expect that McCain would make over $3 million on the free market as an experienced slot corner, so I doubt they'd be on the hook for that full $3.0 million (due to offset language). The $2.2 million of dead money wouldn't really be a big impetus to getting rid of Bobby if they can reasonably expect to save $5.5 million in cash by releasing him.

That's where I think this is heading.

Personally, this McCain at FS thing is a real monkey wrench for me. I think it could lose them games. But right now, I'm not sure they're averse to losing games.

They can't trade McCain. They can't cut him. And they want him out of the way so that Minkah can begin to realize his full potential. That's what has led to this move. And if it results in some unpleasant outcomes where the defense plays decent football on 65 of 70 plays, but they give up 30+ points and lose the football game anyway...so be it. They can circle back and get a real FS next off season.

Next year, only $3.0 million of McCain's $5.5 million salary is guaranteed. They can safely expect that McCain would make over $3 million on the free market as an experienced slot corner, so I doubt they'd be on the hook for that full $3.0 million (due to offset language). The $2.2 million of dead money wouldn't really be a big impetus to getting rid of Bobby if they can reasonably expect to save $5.5 million in cash by releasing him.

That's where I think this is heading.

What if they put McCain back at Nickel? where he was rewarded that contract for... cause he cant play Boundary either... question is can we make it work at safety with who we have.. if Rowe goes down alos who would play that spot during the season? would they consider moving fitzs there?

Me thinks the move to safety has more to do with than just Minkah. I think The staff looks for a different type of slot defender than Bobby

Tank Carradine seems to be headed in the right direction. His name is mentioned almost daily with regard to his play. I think he's been the most underrated F/A signing and looks poised to salvage his career as a member of the Miami Dolphins?

Shouldn't minkah be FS? I guess they wanna move him everywhere

That McCain contract drives me crazier with every passing day.
That doesn't drive me as crazy as they give him an contract after he balls out at slot, which is why he got that contract, then the very next year they try try to put him at corner, thus last year he was all over the place, and now he's at FS. I just think he was coming into his own at slot corner and then bam. You basically blew up the reason for the contract he got. I just never understood it. Bobby is a slot corner and now 2 years removed from why he's still on the team he's still not where what got him the contract. To me Fritz should be at FS and bobby at slot.

I think it's a safe bet that this will be Bobby McCain's final year with Miami. He went from an underrated Slot CB, the final year before signing his extension, to an over paid question mark. I think it's going to be the same thing with Kiko Alonso.

Back
Top Bottom