Camp Reports vs. Press coverage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp Reports vs. Press coverage

Agua

Fighting the media, one lie at a time
Reaction score
Aren't these camp reports FAR BETTER than any of the crap that's served up in the papers? I mean there's more detail, you know you're getting a FAIRLY objective account of what went on (for the most part), and the focus is on the things that the fans want to know about. Why in the hell can't the papers provide this kind of information? It seems all the papers do is perhaps give you a "highlight play" or two, then go off on some speculative behind-the-scenes garbage that isn't really reporting at all, but the reporter's spin.

Our camp reports are just heads and shoulders above the crap served up by the beat writers.

To everyone doing these reports, thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt!
Cheers to the camp reports. PLEASE keep them coming.

BB

Well, this thread wasn't as much a "thank you" as it was bit#hing about how crappy the papers are compared to what you guys are providing us. I mean the papers are just short, short on detail, whereas you guys go through and tell us the highlights of each position and how the new guys are looking. I'm just puzzled as to why the hell the *professionals* can't provide the stuff the fans REALLY want to read about rather than going off on "Wanny, on the hot seat this season, blah blah blah", "David Boston, rumored to use steroids, blah, blah, blah". I mean, that's not the crap we want to read about.

I think that it's because the papers don't really think their readership cares for that much detail. Remember that we're atypical fans because we actually seek out a place like this to spend considerable time at even in the offseason.

Big thank you from a Dolphin fan here in Tenn. , so keep up the good work guys and thanks for the news !!!!!!!!

i just wanna say how i really love the time and effort you guys put in on all this valueble info cause after all this is the best team in nfl history!!!!!! p.s. keep up the great work guys we are all finatics in here and we really love getting all the in depth scoop on our faviorte team!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree. The camp reports from the posters here are a far far better read than the stuff the papers serve up. Many many thanks to those who take the time to share with the rest of us what you witness at these practices!

Jimmy James said:
I think that it's because the papers don't really think their readership cares for that much detail. Remember that we're atypical fans because we actually seek out a place like this to spend considerable time at even in the offseason.

I think thats the easy reason NOT to report all the details. Noone will get angry at them for reporting too much; the reporters simply adhere to the minium requirementa for submitting an article (number of words, number of columns per week) and dont think to provide above and beyond that requirement.

Too much job security for these writers. Go find a beat coluimnist whose "job is on the line" and youd be surprised to see how much "detail" his article will suddenly contain...

Good point Agua but I too want to thank all for the camp reports and pics. IMO the more the better. The more everyone contributes just makes it more interesting and informative.

:thewave:

Good job done by all. Most of us have come to the conclusion, that these camp reports are better than any article written in the press. Specially when we want to know about specific player performance, that is not really detailed in the press, unless the article is directly related to them.

It seems most reporters just sum up certain player performances and make the minimum effort to satisfy us fans, when writing their articles...

Surferosa said:
Noone will get angry at them for reporting too much;

I don't really think that is true, at least in print form. If reporters write stories that are too long, that squeezes out coverage of other things or bloats the size of the paper. The readers will get upset about the former and the newspaper owner will get upset about the latter.

The web does eliminate much of the problem with print costs and the like, but there would still need to be a compelling business case for spending time writing more. Will it generate additional hits, and will those additional hits generate more revenue in the quantity that will justify that expenditure?

We have been over how football is a business a lot recently. Newspaper publishing is also a business. ;)

As admin and someone who has a large vested interest in this site, I hope the papers continue in their current format. :) And therefore, I really would rather not stir the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom