Campbell the new Doug Williams? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Campbell the new Doug Williams?

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
This article is from ESPN....I'm posting it here so Dolphin fans can see that you don't need to be taken with a 1st round pick to be a talented QB and player.
For us that are older....you may be reminded as I was of a black QB that played for Tampa....Doug Williams. Campbell reminds me of Williams....size and strength.
Doug Williams had a very strong arm....and could throw with just a flick of his wrist....just like Campbell....throwing 60 yards flat footed is very impressive...even thought most throws in a game are less than 20 yds. I see no reason why Campbell wouldn't fit a system used by the Dolphins...and taking him in the late 2nd or early 3rd round would make sense. I have to assume that Saban knows him...since he's a SEC QB....and he's as close as you will find to the Vikes QB...in this draft. I hope you enjoy the article;

"Truth be told, Campbell, a steady performer his first two seasons but a guy who made a quantum leap in terms of overall grasp of the position in the past two years, has already been a pleasant surprise for scouts. At 6-feet-4 3/4 and 227 pounds, he still moves well, and he posted 40-yard times in the 4.69-4.75 range on Monday and had a vertical jump of 38 inches.

From a demeanor standpoint, Campbell might not appear quite as fiery as Greene, but teammates insist there is a raw emotion simmering not too far below the surface. While he has a yes-sir/no-sir kind of makeup, Campbell is definitely a leader, a bright youngster who overcame the handicap of playing for four different offensive coordinators, and in four disparate systems, over the course of his career.

It was under the tutelage of Al Borges, who installed a West Coast-style offense in '04, that Campbell really blossomed. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts last season, threw for a career-high 2,700 yards, and registered 20 touchdown passes while throwing just seven interceptions. Even before Borges' arrival, though, Campbell was deceptively accurate, completing more than 60 percent of his passes every season.

A notable statistic: While Campbell isn't considered as accurate or fine-tuned as Greene, his worst season in terms of completion percentage (61.8 in 2003) is better than the best completion mark (60.3 in '03) that the former Georgia star posted as a four-year starter.

On Monday morning, standing at midfield, Campbell lofted several 60-yard bombs while flat-footed, a feat that did not escape the notice of the scouts assembled at Auburn. "He is a kid whose stock definitely rose [Monday]," saidAtlanta Falcons quarterback coach Mike Johnson."

Doktor Ivel said:
i dont think we should draft a QB first round.

Me too....but as I stated....I wouldn't mind this kid between the late 2nd and early 3rd rounds.

Campbell is the new Quincy Carter minus the Drug problems.

fishypete said:
This article is from ESPN....I'm posting it here so Dolphin fans can see that you don't need to be taken with a 1st round pick to be a talented QB and player.
For us that are older....you may be reminded as I was of a black QB that played for Tampa....Doug Williams. Campbell reminds me of Williams....size and strength.
Doug Williams had a very strong arm....and could throw with just a flick of his wrist....just like Campbell....throwing 60 yards flat footed is very impressive...even thought most throws in a game are less than 20 yds. I see no reason why Campbell wouldn't fit a system used by the Dolphins...and taking him in the late 2nd or early 3rd round would make sense. I have to assume that Saban knows him...since he's a SEC QB....and he's as close as you will find to the Vikes QB...in this draft. I hope you enjoy the article;

"Truth be told, Campbell, a steady performer his first two seasons but a guy who made a quantum leap in terms of overall grasp of the position in the past two years, has already been a pleasant surprise for scouts. At 6-feet-4 3/4 and 227 pounds, he still moves well, and he posted 40-yard times in the 4.69-4.75 range on Monday and had a vertical jump of 38 inches.

From a demeanor standpoint, Campbell might not appear quite as fiery as Greene, but teammates insist there is a raw emotion simmering not too far below the surface. While he has a yes-sir/no-sir kind of makeup, Campbell is definitely a leader, a bright youngster who overcame the handicap of playing for four different offensive coordinators, and in four disparate systems, over the course of his career.

It was under the tutelage of Al Borges, who installed a West Coast-style offense in '04, that Campbell really blossomed. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts last season, threw for a career-high 2,700 yards, and registered 20 touchdown passes while throwing just seven interceptions. Even before Borges' arrival, though, Campbell was deceptively accurate, completing more than 60 percent of his passes every season.

A notable statistic: While Campbell isn't considered as accurate or fine-tuned as Greene, his worst season in terms of completion percentage (61.8 in 2003) is better than the best completion mark (60.3 in '03) that the former Georgia star posted as a four-year starter.

On Monday morning, standing at midfield, Campbell lofted several 60-yard bombs while flat-footed, a feat that did not escape the notice of the scouts assembled at Auburn. "He is a kid whose stock definitely rose [Monday]," saidAtlanta Falcons quarterback coach Mike Johnson."

I might be the only one who feels this way...but the guys a system qb, and his talent was only shown by his amazing peers around him

Will never be anything more than a backup qb...most compares to tony banks

Buddwalk said:
I might be the only one who feels this way...but the guys a system qb, and his talent was only shown by his amazing peers around him

Will never be anything more than a backup qb...most compares to tony banks

Since he had to play in four different systems....which system?

Buddwalk said:
good point still hasnt done enough to rank above either top qb

Budd....thats not saying much....just because the juniors are hyped higher doesn't mean they will be better.

Any team that takes Campbell is taking him because of his physical abilities. I'm not sure he has top quality football smarts, he didn't blossom until a WCO offense was installed, and he has top quality players surrounding him. I would put him between Frye and Orton, and he may be gone before Miami picks (I think).

Campbell carries a buyer beware tag. He's an amazing physical talent, but up until this season, he simply hadn't put everything together. He still hasn't shown that he can carry a team either, which is what some of the other quarterbacks have done.

I like him as a prospect, but I wouldn't take him too high. If he were to be drafted by Miami, I believe Linehan could do the same for Jason as he did for Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota.

I think most teams that played Auburn was more worried about Brown and Williams that took alot off Cambell I wonder what his states would be without them.

i am a campbell supporter... i have liked the guy for a while myself and if we draft a QB (hopefully 3rd round or later) i would like campbell, McPherson, or Orton... first two may be considered projects, but one or the other will pan out, and i dont care what orton looked like second half of the season, he was injured and his stats at the end of the year were still really good and he played in a very tough defensive conference(iowa, michigan, ohio state, wisconsin, minnesota) ...not bad. all three have cannons for arms, and none of them are sitting ducks, even orton has a little pocket presence.

I vote nay on Jason Campbell

I called him "Tunnelvision" the other day, and I stick with that. Great arm but no hint of the instincts necessary in a top notch NFL QB. He might have looked off the primary receiver twice last season. LeFors is an easy choice to turn out better than Campbell.

Back
Top Bottom