Can any o-lineman we draft have an immediate impact? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can any o-lineman we draft have an immediate impact?

coach72 said:
I wish I think Britt will be taken way before then.
well i've heard because of the injury he recieved during the combine his stock has fallen way down, i think he may have reinjured the hairline fracture in his leg

For once an injury is great news. If he is still there at 5th or 6th he would be the steal of the draft.

yeah that would be great news i'm a huge bama fan and i've been watching him for a while now and he's a beast great form and great strength

jnewmant said:
Wesley Britt/OT/alabama, projected round 5-7
If Britt is still around in the 5th i'll do backflips. His injury will hurt his stock but I'd bet someone takes a chance on him earlier

Wesley Britt
OT | (6'8", 314, 5.3) | ALABAMA

Scouts Grade: 74

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Has a massive frame and the room to continue to get bigger. He is a consistent player with good toughness, competitiveness and leadership skills. Is an extremely hard worker on and off the field. Is passionate about the game and will continue to work to improve. He is one of the best run-blocking OT's in this class and he can only improve with added bulk. He has adequate initial quickness coming out of his stance as a run blocker. He takes excellent angles, is almost always in very good position, and shows explosive initial pop. He has strong arms and does a very good job of locking on and driving through his blocks. Plays with a mean streak and gives a great effort when working to sustain. He has a terrific wingspan in pass pro. Has adequate quickness in his pass pro set. Plays with good leverage and balance. Has long and strong arms to keep separation. Does a good job of sustaining in pass pro once he has locked on.

Weaknesses: Durability is still a minor concern. Has a great frame but still needs to add bulk and lower body strength. Is a better run blocker than pass protector at this point. Lacks great technique in pass protection. Needs to play with more consistent leverage. Can look stiff at times when he waist-bends and he also can improve his consistency when it comes to his hand placement. Must improve his feet when shuffling laterally. Plays with balance but isn't as quick as he needs to be.

Overall: Britt, when healthy, has been a fulltime starter since the first game of his freshman year 2001. He missed the last four games of the '03 season after suffering a broken leg just six plays into the Tennessee game. He had surgery on Oct. 26 and spent the remainder of the season in rehab, but recovered fully and returned as the team's fulltime starting left tackle as a senior in 2004. Britt did, however, suffer a broken fibula at the Senior Bowl and was unable to workout at the combine. As of the date of this report (March 17, 2005) Britt had not yet worked out for scouts in Tuscaloosa. Durability has become an increasing problem for Britt and it will affect his draft stock. Britt needs to continue to grow into his frame and improve his overall pass blocking skills with more experience. He isn't an elite athlete but he runs well and plays with good balance. Britt may need more time than most Day 1 prospects to develop after playing in a run-oriented scheme and dealing with two injuries that required significant rehabilitation. However, we still think Britt is worth taking a chance on in the third round, as he shows enough potential to develop into a starter in the NFL.

Michael Roos
OT | (6'6", 320, 5.27) | EASTERN WASHINGTON

Scouts Grade: 66
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Is a developmental prospect with limited experience at the OT position but a lot of upside due to his size and athleticism. Has good initial quickness and naturally quick feet. Shows the ability to change directions quickly. Is very good in space as a run blocker his size. Can hit the moving target. Has very good range in pass pro. Gets a deep set quickly, plays with balance and rarely gets caught over-extending. He has long arms and can become much more effective at using them in pass pro if he learns better hand-placement. He can mirror and slide when he recognizes the double move coming. He also can shuffle back inside to help versus blitzes and stunts.

Weaknesses: Small school level of play in college is an obvious concern. He continues to add bulk to his frame but he still has a lot of room to improve in terms of his base and overall strength. Lack of lower body strength is more glaring but upper body power is just decent. He's a late-bloomer with limited football experience and even less experience at OT position. He is unpolished still in terms of his footwork and hand-placement. His angles need to be more consistent. He struggles to get a push against more powerful DE's in the running game. He gets beat by some double moves in pass protection due to his inconsistent awareness. He also needs to improve his consistency when it comes to playing with leverage and handling the bull rush.

Overall: Roos is a small-school, late-bloomer that was born in Estonia and moved to the USA in 1992. Roos only played one year of high school football and he played TE and DE during that season. He redshirted as a TE in 2000 and split time between offense and defense in 2001. He switched to left tackle fulltime in 2002, started all 11 games the next two seasons (2002-'03) and was named All-Big Sky honorable mention both years. Roos once again was a fulltime starter at LOT as a senior in 2004, when he garnered first-team All-Big Sky honors. Roos has developmental upside with very good athleticism for his size. The former tight end continues to get bigger and stronger. He also continues to improve his technique and efficiency as a blocker. Roos has room to improve in terms of his consistency with leverage and his overall strength (just 19 reps of 225 lbs at the combine), but he shows enough potential for a team to take a chance on him in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft. He had an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl and also was above average in all of the agility drills at the combine. In our opinion, Roos is worth taking a chance on in the fourth round as a developmental prospect that will need time to improve his technique and strength  upper and lower body  but with enough upside to eventually develop into a starter.

Rob Petitti
OT | (6'5", 347, 5.25) | PITTSBURGH

Scouts Grade: 69

Strengths: Has very good overall size. Has good height and massive bulk. His wingspan is gigantic and he is very difficult to get around in pass protection. He has decent quickness in his pass pro set. Plays with leverage and body control. Uses his long arms to force a wide arc and does a very good job in terms of riding edge rushers wide and using his arms to maintain separation. He engulfs defenders when in position in the running game. He is extremely difficult to get around and he plays with good leverage as a run blocker. Also developed more of a mean streak as a senior and has become a stronger finisher.

Weaknesses: His lack of athleticism limits his potential. He could stand to take off some weight. The more space he's in the less effective he becomes. He is difficult to get around in pass pro, but if you can force him to get wide he doesn't have great lateral movement skills to mirror and slide. He will have some trouble against inside quickness or quick double moves. He also is below average as a space blocker in the running game. He is slow, lacks great COD skills, has trouble consistently getting into position on the second level, and does not show a consistent ability to hit the moving target. Seems to lack a mean streak and doesn't finish off his blocks with as much authority as he should.

Overall: Petitti redshirted in 2000 before taking over as a 12-game starter in 2001, when he held Syracuse DE Dwight Freeney (Colts) with no sacks for the first time in 15 games. Petitti as a fulltime starter at left tackle since his redshirt freshman season in 2001 and the only game out of 50 that he missed was against Temple as a senior in 2004. Petitti lacks the athleticism of the elite offensive tackle prospects in this class and he'll almost certainly be forced to move to right tackle in the NFL. He also lacks a certain degree of toughness, which helps to explain why he never reached his full potential at the collegiate level. However, he still has the size, tools, durability and experience to warrant consideration early on the second day of the 2005 draft.

man if britt drops below the fourth and saban dosen't pick him up i'm going to be pissed

What if he picks Ben Wilkerson instead it can't be all bad. Besides the centers in this draft are better than the tackles anyway.

Benjamin Wilkerson
OC | (6'3", 292, 5.56) | LOUISIANA STATE

Scouts Grade: 78

Flags: (I: INJURY) Coming off injury that may affect play

Strengths: Has adequate but not great size. Has a good frame and can continue to get bigger and stronger. Has terrific initial quickness and wins most of his battles with his first step. Is fluid and shows good body control. Takes excellent angles as a run blocker. Is at his best when uncovered. Shows good balance and body control. Makes up for lack of great speed with initial quickness and angles. Has a quick set in pass protection. Is extremely aware and does an excellent job of picking up blitzes and stunts. Has adequate upper body strength and a powerful hand punch in pass pro. Really does a good job with his hand placement. Is a leader and a hard worker. Does an outstanding job with line calls. Plays with a great motor.

Weaknesses: Is tall and somewhat lean. His biggest weakness is his lack of base and lower body strength. Will have to play with perfect leverage and positioning to hold up against more powerful bull rushers. Will struggle versus massive two-gap NT's in the NFL. Was able to consistently get out on linebackers and seal them off on the second-level in college but he doesn't have good top-end speed, which is concerning when projecting him as a reach blocker in the NFL. Durability is also a major concern.

Overall: Wilkerson took over as LSU's starting center midway through his true freshman season in 2001 and, when healthy, was LSU's fulltime starter the next three seasons. Wilkerson missed the Cotton Bowl as a sophomore because of a back injury that required surgery but he returned healthy as a junior in 2003. He did, however, suffer a season-ending patella tendon injury in his left knee versus Vanderbilt (Nov. 6, 2004) and had surgery shortly thereafter. He did not workout at the combine while still rehabilitating the injury. Wilkerson lacks ideal size but is one of the most efficient, technically sound and athletic centers in this class. Prior to the injury we considered him to be the top rated prospect at the position. While he is expected to make a full recover, the injury does have some bearing on his draft value and could cause him to slip a little bit on draft day. Assuming he recovers fully and considering he has such a strong work ethic, we still think Wilkerson is worth drafting on Day 1.

Wilkerson dosen't look that much better than Britt which centers to tackles is like apples to oranges but Britt in a latter round would be more of a steal

i still have a bad taste in my mouth from vernon carey - and even robert gallery didn't do to hot this last season.

has any first-year lineman done real well in the NFL?

i'm leaning more towards FA being better able to help us than draftees - however, i do feel you need to draft young guys to build up a good o-line... so what i'm saying is, avoid linemen on day 1... go for later-round guys, since they will all be "projects" anyway

texasPHINSfan said:
i still have a bad taste in my mouth from vernon carey - and even robert gallery didn't do to hot this last season.

has any first-year lineman done real well in the NFL?

i'm leaning more towards FA being better able to help us than draftees - however, i do feel you need to draft young guys to build up a good o-line... so what i'm saying is, avoid linemen on day 1... go for later-round guys, since they will all be "projects" anyway
i couldn't agree with you more, right now it's good for us to acquire some FA linemen but it's not only better for the team to develop and bond younger guys but it's also cheaper because FA linemen are so damn expensive

Back
Top Bottom