Can Grier survive Flores? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Grier survive Flores?

ANU I think this is a wishful thinking thread. You do bring up a good point that this season is by design. However the sting of sub-mediocrity is looming over the past 3 drafts and having more picks with the same person in charge changes nothing in the eyes of some people. Also the complete ineptitude of game 1 leaves a scar. While a quarter of the roster was new, you’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of players who graded out decently For that game. The were flat and unprepared unless this was the unbelievably unprofessional “revolt” the media mentioned. If that’s the case then we still have a lot more purging to do.

My original post is not about whether Grier should be fired this year, it’s whether he should be fired along with Flores whenever (or if) it happens. I fully expect Grier and Flores to be here in 2020, no matter the results of this season. This was the plan going on. Short of 40+ point drubbings in 16 straight losses, I don’t see that plan changing for Ross.

But if in Year 3 Flores teams are still not competing, Grier should be canned along with him IMO.

This is a top down rebuild/tank. Ross gave it away when he fired Gase. Listen to that press conference. He was transparent.

The Dolphins prepared a roster of young guys and eschewed rostering veteran additions who could help in the short term.

This is by design from the highest levels of the franchise. It’s hard to blame Grier and Flores for delivering on the plan.

Now, Miami played as poorly as you can imagine in terms of missed assignments, penalties, muffed punt, lack of energy, etc. It was like something out of the Bad News Bears or Washington Generals. You might fairly be disappointed by the coaching performance but it’s far too premature to write Flores’ tombstone at this point, just from a sample size point of view and the whopping 14 roster changes on the eve of the game.

It didn’t help that Baltimore ran up the score. Harbaugh sent a message. “You want to tank? This is what it looks like!” He was smirking at the Dolphin organization as he throws the ball up seven TD’s and runs a fake punt up five TD’s. It’s up to the Dolphins if they ever want to deliver payback. Harbaugh is obviously not afraid of it.

We’ve had some missed assignments and blown coverages for years now. The coaches change and the idiotic play continues. What’s variable and what’s constant?

Bottom line, I see all these threads of people melting down, yet this has been the plan all along, in a transparent way, in the wide open. The team did not perform in a disciplined, smart manner. We have a benchmark now. Let’s see how the season goes from the benchmark.

If Grier’s mandate was to win now, he wouldn’t have so faithfully put the Dolphins in a position to lose. It’s not just moving on from veterans like James, Amendola, Gore, Tannehill, et al. in the offseason. After preseason, they jettisoned guys who played well enough to make the team, like Orchard and Carradine. They moved on from Vincent Taylor who has flashed for two years. They bumped McDonald, Alonso, Dwayne Allen, etc. Of course, they traded away Tunsil and Stills. I just listed 12 guys the team had the option to keep for 2019 and Grier’s staff declined. Nobody could argue against the notion that those 12 guys might have helped this team be the six win juggernaut we’ve grown accustomed to.

Grier and Flores are carrying out the plan. Did they overshoot by cutting Tank, Taylor, Orchard and company? Perhaps but it seems they weren’t leaving any chance. They could sell it because these guys are short term filler but in reality these are guys who could help. There was nothing more anemic and pathetic than the pass rush.

Ross kind of presented Grier as a package deal with Flores, but it seems like the expectation is that Grier could eventually fire Flores and retain his job. I think Grier should be tied to Flores.

He's already outlasted several regimes in which he has played a crucial role in talent acquisition. I can't think of a scenario where it would be fair for him to survive the firing of his hand-selected HC hire.

Yes, he's kind of positioned this whole thing as a tank, and losing a lot is part of that process early on, but there was also an expectation that the man he hired for HC was the right one to lead the Dolphins out of this dark time and into success into the future. If Flores can't deliver on that promise, Grier should be on the way out with him. Thoughts?

I personally feel Grier was held back on a lot of moves and decisions by Tbaum and Ross saw that. I think Grier can survive this if picks a slew of good players but if Flores can’t coach them. Let’s face it, there are a lot of teams years past that had good personnel but terrible coaching.
Next two drafts are exciting and Grier has a lot to prove now.

But what do I know, what do any of us know

ANU I think this is a wishful thinking thread. You do bring up a good point that this season is by design. However the sting of sub-mediocrity is looming over the past 3 drafts and having more picks with the same person in charge changes nothing in the eyes of some people. Also the complete ineptitude of game 1 leaves a scar. While a quarter of the roster was new, you’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of players who graded out decently For that game. The were flat and unprepared unless this was the unbelievably unprofessional “revolt” the media mentioned. If that’s the case then we still have a lot more purging to do.

Your logic is all over the place. But that's another story.
Ross has shown as an owner he's going to give his staff a chance to prove themselves. He's done it with..Saban, Philbin and Adam.
It goes without question of all these those coaches Flores has gotten the rawest deal from the beginning.

Ross, for all his faults, gives his people a chance. Thank goodness for that!

Too many on this board operate in extremes...
Clearly, and apparently a surprise to many including yourself, this new coaching staff isn't humming like the NE Patriots right out the gate.

I swear i would have a lot more respect for people if this were half-way through the season and we had a chunk of games and periods in between to evaluate.
But the hysteria is unwarranted at this time. This isn't magic! This stuff takes time for EVERYONE including the coaching staff.

because...

making decisions after one game about a rookie head coach are always smart decisions...

Some folks just never learn.

Step back and take a deep breath.

This year the media will have a new "Apokalypse Theory" after EVERY SINGLE LOSS.

That's right the same media that have been screaming for months about how tanking is a great idea...

Not great... it's the BEST IDEA.

Are NOW going to really yuck it up, because this is the sort of thing that they LIVE FOR.

How many games did JJ win as a rookie head coach?

How many did Walsh win?

It takes TIME to build a contender.

My original post is not about whether Grier should be fired this year, it’s whether he should be fired along with Flores whenever (or if) it happens. I fully expect Grier and Flores to be here in 2020, no matter the results of this season. This was the plan going on. Short of 40+ point drubbings in 16 straight losses, I don’t see that plan changing for Ross.

But if in Year 3 Flores teams are still not competing, Grier should be canned along with him IMO.

If they hit on a QB, they will stay, if not they will both be gone just a question of how soon.

After next season will be the tell. If they draft poorly, don't show much improvement and/or lose the locker room, they're out IMO.

If Grier’s mandate was to win now, he wouldn’t have so faithfully put the Dolphins in a position to lose. It’s not just moving on from veterans like James, Amendola, Gore, Tannehill, et al. in the offseason. After preseason, they jettisoned guys who played well enough to make the team, like Orchard and Carradine...
I agree, the team has been stripped of whatever "talent" it had, but guys like Orchard and Carradine were not of any consequence. They just aren't good enough. Sacks aginst 2nd and 3rd stringers don't impress most teams, which is probably why they weren't picked up by anyone.

Some people are not really happy unless they are complaining about something. It’s been one freaking game, and we all knew this year was going to be painful to watch, so why are people surprised

because...

making decisions after one game about a rookie head coach are always smart decisions...

Some folks just never learn.

Step back and take a deep breath.

This year the media will have a new "Apokalypse Theory" after EVERY SINGLE LOSS.

That's right the same media that have been screaming for months about how tanking is a great idea...

Not great... it's the BEST IDEA.

Are NOW going to really yuck it up, because this is the sort of thing that they LIVE FOR.

How many games did JJ win as a rookie head coach?

How many did Walsh win?

It takes TIME to build a contender.

It’s always the evil media’s fault...

I'm a little surprised that when this team decided even to keep Grier when the decision was made to tear it completely down and rebuild. Seems hiring a new GM along with a new coach would have been consistent with that approach.

Back
Top Bottom