Can Grier survive Flores? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Grier survive Flores?

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ALL? FOR GODS SAKE IT'S GAME ONE OF A YEAR THAT THE FINS WILL SUCK IN... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT, A WIN ? MORE THAN HALF THE TEAM IS NEW AND 1/4 OF THE TEAM HAS BEEN THERE FOR LESS THAN A WEEK, NOW YOU ALL WANT TO FIRE THE GM AND THE COACH ??
JIMMY JOHNSON'S FIRST SEASON IN DALLAS WAS 1-15 WITH 28-0 DRUBBING THE FIRST WEEK HOW THAT WORK OUT?
BILL BILICHEAT FIRST SEASON FINISHED 4-12 AND WAS BEATEN PRETTY GOOD EVERY GAME HOW THAT WORK OUT ?

Grier has done a good job executing the plan of tearing down the house, acquiring draft picks and creating cap space. Nonsensical to fire him now.

His long term employment in Miami lies in the quality of selections in the next two drafts and signing of free agents. I think he’s secure in his role for the next 3 years.

Same goes with Flores.

Grier has done a good job executing the plan of tearing down the house, acquiring draft picks and creating cap space. Nonsensical to fire him now.

His long term employment in Miami lies in the quality of selections in the next two drafts and signing of free agents. I think he’s secure in his role for the next 3 years.

Same goes with Flores.
I agree, like it or not both have 3 years to tear down and rebuild. What fans need to remember is that this team has cap money and a lot of draft picks for the next 2 years! A lot of other teams cant say that. They are trying to rebuild while still trying to win games. That cant be done. You will forever be 7-9, 9-7, 8-8.

I'm a little surprised that when this team decided even to keep Grier when the decision was made to tear it completely down and rebuild. Seems hiring a new GM along with a new coach would have been consistent with that approach.

Got to think no good GM was hitching himself to this team without a QB, nor the means to obtain a quality one..

Now that has changed, but I still think Ross sees it through with this draft and the next most likely.

Ross tells them to gut the team and get resources. They gut the team and get resources. Now after ONE game they may not survive? What the hell do you people do for a living?

Could you imagine the entitlement if these guys paid to have a house built?

"Whaaa? You have to wait 6 weeks for a permit?! Unacceptable."

:lol:

Got to think no good GM was hitching himself to this team without a QB, nor the means to obtain a quality one..

Now that has changed, but I still think Ross sees it through with this draft and the next most likely.

Except that the whole objective of this approach is to be in a position to draft a top QB in the next couple of years, with the pressure to do well immediately not only off, but discouraged.

So maybe this tank job isn't even being pulled off competently. People talk about how Ross won't hesitate to pay to fix this team. One of the best investments he could make is hiring a quality GM and quality front office staff to oversee the acquisition of all these players over the next three years. So there's another thing to question.

No one is getting fired over what has happened so far, it's all going according to plan

Hell Yes he should be able to, and I still have faith in Flores. But if this team continues to lose lots of games NEXT YEAR, and the picks that Grier makes in 2020 look good (and the entire new Oline we inevitably sign), I see no reason why Grier shouldn't be able to fire Flores if he feels that's what's right.

Grier has done an amazing job this off-season resetting this franchise and should be able to bear the fruits of his decisions (give him 2020 and 2021 at least imo). I'll give Flores a pass on the f****** ratbirds because it's week 1 and there was a lot going on, but he needs to improve at his job a lot more than Grier does at his, I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Except that the whole objective of this approach is to be in a position to draft a top QB in the next couple of years, with the pressure to do well immediately not only off, but discouraged.

So maybe this tank job isn't even being pulled off competently. People talk about how Ross won't hesitate to pay to fix this team. One of the best investments he could make is hiring a quality GM and quality front office staff to oversee the acquisition of all these players over the next three years. So there's another thing to question.

I don’t know if Grier, and his crew are the ‘answer’ I really don’t.

I feel more comfortable saying if the QB that gets selected in this next draft plays well it bodes well for them staying.

I said this before but you know why Ireland is happily employed? Until we get a QB everyone is subjected to replacement.

Could you imagine the entitlement if these guys paid to have a house built?

"Whaaa? You have to wait 6 weeks for a permit?! Unacceptable."

:lol:

I was on board with Grier and the plan, and I still think they should get 3 years min to install the plan, but I’m just very hesitant now seeing how Minkah is now struggling and they shipped off one of their few good draft picks from recent years.

Bottom line, the performance of Grier’s “marquee” players has been very underwhelming. Like who are the standout players from the last 3 drafts? X-Man and thats it. The rest are either gone or struggling. Only Drake, Baker and Grant could be considered acceptable draft pick other than X at this point. That’s a really bad track record.

It gives me great trepidation to think that kind of talent evaluator will be in charge of using this massive haul of picks.

Just gives me Ireland “picks and money” flashbacks. I’d hate for it all to be squandered. This rebuild will NEVER end if it is squandered. We will be looking at another lost decade as fans.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that when this team decided even to keep Grier when the decision was made to tear it completely down and rebuild. Seems hiring a new GM along with a new coach would have been consistent with that approach.

but inconsistent with Ross....when has Ross not ever done half measures

but inconsistent with Ross....when has Ross not ever done half measures

Staggering his coaching changes with his GM changes has been the one thing he did in half-measures ... and it's arguably the one thing where the full change (having a coach suggest a GM he can work with or bringing in a GM who hires his own coach) would have been the best way to go.

I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't think Ross understands how to run a pro sports franchise. He has the opposite of the golden touch when it comes to the Dolphins.

I don’t know if Grier, and his crew are the ‘answer’ I really don’t.

I feel more comfortable saying if the QB that gets selected in this next draft plays well it bodes well for them staying.

I said this before but you know why Ireland is happily employed? Until we get a QB everyone is subjected to replacement.

Yeah. My point is that we are hearing Flores has a free pass or close to it until all the pieces are put into place. So one would think a strong owner and businessman who isn't afraid to throw money at players who don't fit a system could entice a bold personnel person with job security and essentially a blank check ... the chance to build his own team from scratch. I think that would be appealing to a lot of GM types.

If they're gonna be gone in 2 years, and thats highly likely, then why let them use all of that draft capital after this season. Just fire them after the season and let the new guy pick "his" guys.

IMO this might end up being the ideal situation

Back
Top Bottom