Can Ronnie Be Taught? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Ronnie Be Taught?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time figuring out why we shouldn't take Ronnie Brown at the #2 spot. He will improve both the running and passing game, not mention he's a solid citizen.

The one knock on Ronnie is that he is not elusive, more of a straight ahead runner and doesn't appear to have the great vision that franchise running backs usually have.

My question is....can he improve his game? I think some things are instinctual, but since Ronnie seems to be just about perfect in every other way (height, size, speed, great hands, great blocker, tough runner) can his technique be improved, which would make him the total back?

Ronnie is still young and learning. He has about half the experience someone like Cedric Benson has. Perhaps, some things can be taught to him and he can be the total package??

I don't know where people get this idea that Ronnie Brown doesn't have great vision. I guess it is one of those things where when one person says something, no matter how false it is, everyone jumps on that bandwagon.

There is absolutely no limitations on Ronnie Brown's instincts or vision.

KB21 said:
I don't know where people get this idea that Ronnie Brown doesn't have great vision. I guess it is one of those things where when one person says something, no matter how false it is, everyone jumps on that bandwagon.

I agree. He got hurt his junior year and the Caddy took over as starter but Brown's numbers were always good and his 5.4 yds per carry vs LSU has to weigh heavily on Saban.

Here's what you get with him- a homerun threat who catches the ball and blocks better than any back we've had since Terry Kirby.

That's extremely important for the OL, Feeley and the versatile offense Linehan wants to run.

I only know what I read and virtually every scouting report indicates that Ronnie doesn't have great vision, especially compared to Cadillac. My point is, that if this is the only problem that would make us and other teams pull the trigger, can Ronnie improve...assuming you believe the scouts?

By the way, I love Ronnie and I would advocate that we should pick him at #2, but the hesitation seems to be that he may not be the pure runner that Benson or Williams is.

FinFan57 said:
I'm having a hard time figuring out why we shouldn't take Ronnie Brown at the #2 spot. He will improve both the running and passing game, not mention he's a solid citizen.

The one knock on Ronnie is that he is not elusive, more of a straight ahead runner and doesn't appear to have the great vision that franchise running backs usually have.

My question is....can he improve his game? I think some things are instinctual, but since Ronnie seems to be just about perfect in every other way (height, size, speed, great hands, great blocker, tough runner) can his technique be improved, which would make him the total back?

Ronnie is still young and learning. He has about half the experience someone like Cedric Benson has. Perhaps, some things can be taught to him and he can be the total package??

The thing that bothers me more is that people think Cadillac is not as good or even better. It is what you dont say as opposed to what you always say that matters to me.

KB21 said:

Maybe not, but Caddy is better in those regards IMO. Just watch videos and you would easily see that Caddy is like Edge where he sucks you inside or outside and can take it to the house. Most of Browns videos are of him scoring from 20 or 10 yards out. When you see Caddy, he is scoring from way down the field.

Now, if you listen to Saban, he says he wants guys who can make big plays. Based on what he has said, and what i have seen in videos, Caddy is the big play maker. These are the things people drop off in there assesments. If I were Saban, I would take Caddy over the other two based on what he said. The vision thing is more about his moves and abilities rather than his seeing downfield.

Finfan54

The thread is about Ronnie's ability to acquire the skills you believe Caddy has and Ronnie doesn't have (or at least not as good). In other words, Ronnie has obvious advantages, size, height, power, great receiver, but do you think Ronnie can eventually learn or develop the elusiveness and home run game that Cadillac has?

Why do people think Ronnie Brown can't be a "Home Run" back? A quick glance at his stats show multiple long runs of 50+ yrds over the course of his career. He has had a large number of TD for 20+ yrds or more.

He also had 11.5 yard per catch avg over the course of his college career. To put that in perspective, Chris Chambers had a 14.9 YPC avg when we drafted him.

If that isnt the definition of an explosive back, I dont know what is.

Steve S said:
I agree. He got hurt his junior year and the Caddy took over as starter but Brown's numbers were always good and his 5.4 yds per carry vs LSU has to weigh heavily on Saban.

Here's what you get with him- a homerun threat who catches the ball and blocks better than any back we've had since Terry Kirby.

That's extremely important for the OL, Feeley and the versatile offense Linehan wants to run.

Ya, but in college you dont have to have good vision, see someone like Michael Pittman....very good size back, good speed, great hands out of the backfield a very good blocker, but doesnt excel in the NFL, why? B/c the man has the poorest vision, when he is one on one with someone, he drops his shoulder every single time. Never see's any cutback lanes, just trys to power through them. You will never see Michael Pittman cutting all the way across the field, or making more than one person miss on any given play. Same goes for alot of other backs, even L.Gordon, why do you think he isnt a superstar yet??? I believe he ran faster than Brown coming out of college (4.3_), he is the same size as Brown, can block well and is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. Not saying Brown has no vision, but from what I have seen of him, he doesnt have great vison, he has average vision, everything else other then vision and agility, he is very very well above average.

actually instead of watching a few clips of these guys, you can observe every single carry and discover that Brown had a much greater tendency to break open a big run, then the other two.... all while seeing less time.

KB21 said:

Sorry man for a supposed draft guru, you dont impress me to much. Why in the world do you think Brown has great vision. Have you actually seen him play?? He has average vision and agility everything else he is superior in. Talking about bandwagons, your on t biggest one draft R.Brown, before his combine nobody wanted him, after everyone does. Go watch some more R.Brown and explain how in the world you feel he has great vision. and I'm not one to quote the so called experts from ESPN and other places but they say it too, Brown doesnt have great vision, but personally I would rather do my own scouting .

The thing i don't like about Ronnie Brown is he isn't really great at any one thing. I think a guy like caddilac williams who is a GREAT shifty elusive back or a guy like Benson who is a GREAT powerback just need to work on little things and become good at them... Ronnie Brown is good at the little things whitch is great, but those things can be taught... The game that a guy like Caddy has can't be taught. IMO caddilac will be the best RB among the top 3 in the draft.

Lazy1 said:
The thing i don't like about Ronnie Brown is he isn't really great at any one thing. I think a guy like caddilac williams who is a GREAT shifty elusive back or a guy like Benson who is a GREAT powerback just need to work on little things and become good at them... Ronnie Brown is good at the little things whitch is great, but those things can be taught... The game that a guy like Caddy has can't be taught. IMO caddilac will be the best RB among the top 3 in the draft.

Agreed Ronnie Brown is a great Blocker and receiver, yes that is good but the thing our RUNNING BACK, needs to be great at is RUNNING the ball. Brown doesnt impress me as much as Caddy. I'm still trying to figure out my number 2, but come on guys this is a RUNNING BACK we are talking about drafting not a WR. Yes Brown is good but Caddy is a better choice IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom