Can Ronnie Be Taught? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Ronnie Be Taught?

KB21 said:
I don't know where people get this idea that Ronnie Brown doesn't have great vision. I guess it is one of those things where when one person says something, no matter how false it is, everyone jumps on that bandwagon.

There is absolutely no limitations on Ronnie Brown's instincts or vision.

:shakeno:

FinFan57 said:
Finfan54

The thread is about Ronnie's ability to acquire the skills you believe Caddy has and Ronnie doesn't have (or at least not as good). In other words, Ronnie has obvious advantages, size, height, power, great receiver, but do you think Ronnie can eventually learn or develop the elusiveness and home run game that Cadillac has?

size, height, power, great receiver??? we are not talking about a wr lmao we are talking about a rb and imo benson is the best pure runner and will be the best back coming out (brown??size, height, power, great receiver):shakeno:

I guess that is the point, which deficiencies can be taught and which can't? I think most people would say vision, finding open lanes, and elusiveness are very hard things to teach. They tend to be more instinctual rather than developed. If that is the case, it would bring some of Ronnie Brown's skills into question as far as selecting him as a franchise back. Can he put it all together in the NFL and become a consistent 1200 + yard runner?

I still feel Ronnie is growing and a runner, he is still a little raw in my mind but has the ability to be great. He sets blocks up very well. Setting blocks up takes vision also, is it as good as Caddy? No. Westbrook in Philly has good vision, but he is not a huge threat as a runner, he is deadly as a reciever though. Ronnie reminds me of another Brown, a Jim Brown.

As for Carnell being the bigger play maker, I watched highlights also. I saw quite a few Ronnie Brown long touchdown runs. When you look at it, these two backs are really close, I feel they are the two best in this draft. Not taking anything away from Benson, since I feel Benson is the flat out best RB at running the ball. The rest of his game needs work.

Point is you can make a case for any of these 3 as to why they should be the best RB in this draft. Everyone has their favorites.

jason_taylor said:
size, height, power, great receiver??? we are not talking about a wr lmao we are talking about a rb and imo benson is the best pure runner and will be the best back coming out (brown??size, height, power, great receiver):shakeno:

No we are talking about a RB with the ability to be a WR. LT anyone? He can play RB or be split out wide to play WR or in the slot. It adds more to the offense. Something different for the defense to have to cover. Creating mismatches all over the field.

When a RB can do both, the defense has to respect both. That opens up other options on the field.

Vision can come with experiance. He also needs a little more patience

knight6jb said:
Sorry man for a supposed draft guru, you dont impress me to much. Why in the world do you think Brown has great vision. Have you actually seen him play?? He has average vision and agility everything else he is superior in. Talking about bandwagons, your on t biggest one draft R.Brown, before his combine nobody wanted him, after everyone does. Go watch some more R.Brown and explain how in the world you feel he has great vision. and I'm not one to quote the so called experts from ESPN and other places but they say it too, Brown doesnt have great vision, but personally I would rather do my own scouting .

Sorry man but where are you getting all this?

Brown was ranked ahead of Caddy, and right with Benson in almost every site I read before the combine. It was at the Senior Bowl that the Caddy's name emerged with some consistancy!

Show us the quotes of all these sites you mention because after all they are the so called experts, not the self proclaimed ones......

I am a running back and i know the most important element is Vision, Caddie has supernatural vision that only the great ones have and has the elusivesness and agility do get there making him most of worthy of our selection ... I see a mix of Portis and Tomlinson in Williams

knight6jb said:
before his combine nobody wanted him, after everyone does.

Sorry to say it that is bullsh#t. A lot of us wanted Ronnie Brown before the combine, I just figured we'd be able to trade down a little to get him. After the combine with his stick sky rocketing is was obvious that probably wasnt going to happen, but people wanted him before the combine.

The Wizzard said:
I am a running back and i know the most important element is Vision, Caddie has supernatural vision that only the great ones have and has the elusivesness and agility do get there making him most of worthy of our selection ... I see a mix of Portis and Tomlinson in Williams

Can we get an Eye Doctor in here. I want some of the supernatural stuff... :tongue:

DonShula84 said:
Sorry to say it that is bullsh#t. A lot of us wanted Ronnie Brown before the combine, I just figured we'd be able to trade down a little to get him. After the combine with his stick sky rocketing is was obvious that probably wasnt going to happen, but people wanted him before the combine.

Even the so called experts on quite a lot of the websites had him ranked very high before the combine....

The Wizzard said:
Who are you a running back for?

By the title of this thread, I thought it would be "can Ronnie be taught to play safety"

Concerning Vision...

A lot of people say Carnell has better vision but what he really has is a lot of shiftiness which is not the same thing.

So just for the sake of argument I went back and compared Brown and Williams in one key stat that is often overlooked: rushes for no gain or a loss by a running back.

Here is what I came up with in 2004:

Carnell Williams had 50 rushes for no gain or a loss out of 239 rushing attempts, or to put it another wasy, 20 percent of the time he was stopped for no gain or a loss.
Brown had 25 rushes for no gain or a loss out of 153 rushing attempts, or 16 percent he was stoped for no gain or a loss.

Now, I know some people will say that because the oppossing teams spied last year on Carnell so I did the same thing for 2002 when Carnell went down with an injury in the Florida gama and never played again so Brown became the full time starter.

In 2002, C. Williams had 29 rushes for no gain or loss out of 141 attepts, or 20 percent of the time.

Brown 25 rushes for a loss or no gain out of 175 attempts, or 14 percent of the time he was stopped for no gain or a loss.

Also, Brown had more runs of 30 or more yards and I also notice that many of the times when Brown was stopped for no gain or a loss it was in a goal line situation where he was being used as primarily a full back.

Also, as impressive as Carnell's shiftiness looks to the eye, it tends to get him in trouble at times and shiftiness doesn't always indicate superior vision but simply more lateral quickness which I agree that Carnell is the fastest back in the draft in this regard.

So you can say Brown doesn't have vision but you are dead wrong. The fact is that he is not as flashy as Carnell but Brown is a very patient runner that follows his blocking letting the play development but when he sees the opening he explodes through it faster than any back in this draft. He also has more carries of 30 plus yards than any other back in the draft this despite not carrying the ball nearly as often and don't even get me started on his receiving numbers which blow anything away from the other backs.

Ronnie Brown does not need to be taught anything. He is the most complete back in the draft.

Great post i agree, Ronnie Brown is phenomenal, a faster eddie george, ahman green, he's a beast, but i just like Caddie more i have watched all of auburns games since these 2 guys have been there i fell in love with Caddy early on

Back
Top Bottom