Can someone explain why we did not keep Knight? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can someone explain why we did not keep Knight?

FinFrenzy

Never Lose Faith in the Fins
Club Member
Reaction score
Chiefs | Knight Contract Breakdown - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:11:58 -0800

Updating previous reports, the five-year deal S Sammy Knight signed with the Kansas City Chiefs has base salaries of $665,000 (2005), $835,000 (2006), $2 million (2007), $1.75 million (2008) and $1.5 million (2009).

His salary is only 665k this year we probably could have done a 1 or 2 year deal at a low price.

Why wouldn't we have kept him for securiy while were still looking?

That move I didnt understand I always liked knight , although slow i thought he was a hell of a hitter

FinFrenzy said:
His salary is only 665k this year we probably could have done a 1 or 2 year deal at a low price.

Because look how many years he signed with them. Its not a 1 year deal..... dont look at it like that.

Why would Sammy sign a 1 year deal for a cheap price? He is at the age where he needs the longer deal to finish out his career. Just cause his first year is cheap doesnt mean he would sign a 1 year deal for that same amount. He knows he will be in KC for a few more years and his first year is cheap prolly as a salary cap move to help out KC.

Sammy was overpaid and aging, we needed to get younger on defense and at 3 million, he was too expensive and we didnt want to sign him back for a longer term deal, which he wanted, because we only might have needed him for 1 year until we get a younger safety in there.

FinFrenzy said:

Incorrect. His salary is $1.2 million against the cap. He got a $2.7 million signing bonus. So say he gets cut after 2 years the team eats nearly 1.62 million against the cap. The type of situations Saban is trying to avoid.

FinFrenzy said:

The same reason New Orleans let him go, in this age of free roaming receivers in secondaries he was just too slow in coverage.

Ok I didn't see the bonus but i still think we could have given him a backloaded cap friendly contract also. It just doesn't make sense to me...I don't care that we lost him just the position needs filling besides Jones and we are going in blind hoping to draft a starter....

I guess he wanted to start over...

KC got a great deal on him, and Kendrel Bell for some reason.

Knight was aging, too expensive, and wanted a long term deal. Saban wasn't willing to give it to him. I don't blame him either...

FinFrenzy said:
Ok I didn't see the bonus but i still think we could have given him a backloaded cap friendly contract also. It just doesn't make sense to me...I don't care that we lost him just the position needs filling besides Jones and we are going in blind hoping to draft a starter....

You can't backload a signing bonus. That contract is backloaded. Signing bonuses get split along the term of a contract. When that person is cut the signing bonus accelerates. He basically signed a 2 year contract and K.C. is willing to take the dead money on their cap. Tebucky is a short term replacement until Saban can sign or draft someone he feels comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom