Can someone rank the QB's in the draft by accuracy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can someone rank the QB's in the draft by accuracy?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I think arm strength is over rated. It's obviously important but I'd say nowhere near as important as accuracy. Can someone rank the QB's by accuracy?

I think it would help us non-expert's a lot.

That is a good question. I feel that's where Matt Leinart is head and shoulders above the rest. Agree with you that arm strength is overrated. I feel that decision making is the #1 criteria for a qb, followed by accuracy, toughness and leadership. I guess that's why Tom Brady is among the best qb's in football.

Besides Leinart, Omar Jacobs shows a good accurate arm, but a lot of that may have to do with the system he plays in. Vince Young is accurate in the short game, but hasn't shown the ability to throw deep. Brodie Croyle is a little inconsistent in the deep game, but I like his accuracy as well and he wasn't exactly surrounded by a lot of talent once Prothro went down at wide receiver. I haven't seen Jay Cutler so not sure where he ranks. Charlie Whitehurst is up and down, but pretty accurate in the short/intermediate game.

2005 stats, according to ESPN:

Charlie Whitehurst- 227/338 67.2% 11 TDs 10 INTs (5 overall)
Matt Leinart- 283/431 65.7% 28 TDs 8 INTs (9 overall)
Vince Young- 212/325 65.2% 26 TDs 10 INTs (10 overall)
Drew Olson- 242/378 64.0% 34 TDs 6 INTs (13 overall)
Darrell Hackney- 242/386 62.7% 22 TDs 12 INTs (23 overall)
Omar Jacobs- 195/321 60.7% 26 TDs 7 INTs (41 overall)
Brodie Croyle- 202/339 59.6% 14 TDs 4 INTs (52 overall)
Jay Cutler- 273/462 59.1% 21 TDs 9 INTs (61 overall)
D.J. Shockley- 173/310 55.8% 24 TDs 5 INTs (81 overall)

Flyer22 said:
2005 stats, according to ESPN:

Charlie Whitehurst- 227/338 67.2% 11 TDs 10 INTs (5 overall)
Matt Leinart- 283/431 65.7% 28 TDs 8 INTs (9 overall)
Vince Young- 212/325 65.2% 26 TDs 10 INTs (10 overall)
Drew Olson- 242/378 64.0% 34 TDs 6 INTs (13 overall)
Darrell Hackney- 242/386 62.7% 22 TDs 12 INTs (23 overall)
Omar Jacobs- 195/321 60.7% 26 TDs 7 INTs (41 overall)
Brodie Croyle- 202/339 59.6% 14 TDs 4 INTs (52 overall)
Jay Cutler- 273/462 59.1% 21 TDs 9 INTs (61 overall)
D.J. Shockley- 173/310 55.8% 24 TDs 5 INTs (81 overall)

Thanks for the stats, but they don't always tell you as much at the college level...for example, how can you compare what Cutler at Vandy with almost no talent around him versus what Leinart or Young did with loads of talent around them..??

I know it seems accuracy is the more important then arm strength.

But for me, in the NFL the window is so small (size and time before it closes) that I think arm strength to get the ball to the target ranks higher than the target itself.

I understand the argument that if you cant hit the side of a barn it doesnt matter how hard you throw it. But its not a situation where this extreme of a position realistically takes place.

Very, very weak armed QB's dont last in the league, even as a 3rd stringer. But, very inaccurate QB's do, or atleast inaccurate from a % stand point. Clearly if you can hit the side of a barn you arent in the league. Then you would be very, very, inaccurate.

So I just think ball speed (arm strength) is more valuable to an organization for timing of routes, etc than accuracy is.

LarryFinFan said:
Thanks for the stats, but they don't always tell you as much at the college level...for example, how can you compare what Cutler at Vandy with almost no talent around him versus what Leinart or Young did with loads of talent around them..??

I totally agree. I wasn't saying one QB was better based on those stats, I was listing them for people to reference. The rankings come from here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=com%&year=2005&group=80

Dolphins_SR66 said:
I know it seems accuracy is the more important then arm strength.

But for me, in the NFL the window is so small (size and time before it closes) that I think arm strength to get the ball to the target ranks higher than the target itself.

I understand the argument that if you cant hit the side of a barn it doesnt matter how hard you throw it. But its not a situation where this extreme of a position realistically takes place.

Very, very weak armed QB's dont last in the league, even as a 3rd stringer. But, very inaccurate QB's do, or atleast inaccurate from a % stand point. Clearly if you can hit the side of a barn you arent in the league. Then you would be very, very, inaccurate.

So I just think ball speed (arm strength) is more valuable to an organization for timing of routes, etc than accuracy is.

I get whay you're saying but I've seen too many gunners crash and burn to agree with that statement. The key for me is having the correct touch and loft on the ball to be able to put it over a DB, or between double coverage. That's what seperates an average QB from a good one. Leinart has that silky touch and demonstrated it on that 4th down throw to Jarrett against N.D. Big Ben has the ability to hit a receiver in stride like he did with Hines Ward last years against the Pats.

On the other hand, A.J Feeley, Cade Mcnown and Rob Johnson all had above average arm strength, nevertheless the frozen ropes they threw turned into incompletions or interceptions. Arm strenght is an overblown quality and certainly not more valuable to an organization than accuracy is.

My list would go like this...

1. Leinart
2. Young
3. Jacobs
4. Croyle
5. Cutler

Back
Top Bottom