Can The Dolphins Do These Two Things? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can The Dolphins Do These Two Things?

Im not saying I agree with the strategy... But they flat out said the defense is built to play with a lead, and then you've got Gase saying he wants to run a tempo no huddle offense... They have no intention to get in run stopping situations, that is not their vision at all... Long story short, they want to stop the run with their offense, and thats Gase all the way... Look at the big picture and it's pretty clear...

Man if we go through another year and I hear them say we are going to run tempo and we dont I am going go be really disappointed.

You are correct they say the D is built to play with a lead and they supposedly always have wanted to run tempo and then it doesn’t happen- injuries? Players that were too dumb they kept getting pre snap penalties? Idk but will see what happens this year.

That is not why they cut Incognito and kept Martin; it was Bully-gate pure and simple.

Then why did Philbin keep Pouncey? Pouncey was also involved in the so-called "bullying". In fact, testimony from the Wells report stated (or implied) that Pouncey was basically the o-line's drug dealer. Cogs was released because Martin was too emotionally unstable to handle friendly teasing, but Philbin kept the drug dealer. Doesn't make sense to me!

Im not saying I agree with the strategy... But they flat out said the defense is built to play with a lead, and then you've got Gase saying he wants to run a tempo no huddle offense... They have no intention to get in run stopping situations, that is not their vision at all... Long story short, they want to stop the run with their offense, and thats Gase all the way... Look at the big picture and it's pretty clear...

The defense has basically been the same under Coyle, Joseph, and now Burke (all ex-Bengals Coaches)... built to play with a lead. Philbin promised Ross an explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense based on the short pass and short timing routes. In reality, Philbin's style of offense was stagnant with a lot of 3 and outs; they always appeared unprepared at the start of games, and it usually took until nearly half-time to get their first score. Next was Gase, who also preferred to run a similar short pass based offense, and who also got the same ineffective results as Philbin. For the past 6 years it was pretty much a given that Miami would be down a few scores at half-time, yet they continued to run a defense built to play with a lead. I don't understand why after Philbin's offense and defense failed miserably Ross would hire another inexperienced Head Coach who wants to run a similar offense and defense?

Man if we go through another year and I hear them say we are going to run tempo and we dont I am going go be really disappointed.

You are correct they say the D is built to play with a lead and they supposedly always have wanted to run tempo and then it doesn’t happen- injuries? Players that were too dumb they kept getting pre snap penalties? Idk but will see what happens this year.

The Fins are pretty transparent in what their vision is, the Gase version I mean... And it does add up in theory.

Getting early sizeable leads is critical.... If they dont do that the whole thing falls apart...

The defense has basically been the same under Coyle, Joseph, and now Burke (all ex-Bengals Coaches)... built to play with a lead. Philbin promised Ross an explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense based on the short pass and short timing routes. In reality, Philbin's style of offense was stagnant with a lot of 3 and outs; they always appeared unprepared at the start of games, and it usually took until nearly half-time to get their first score. Next was Gase, who also preferred to run a similar short pass based offense, and who also got the same ineffective results as Philbin. For the past 6 years it was pretty much a given that Miami would be down a few scores at half-time, yet they continued to run a defense built to play with a lead. I don't understand why after Philbin's offense and defense failed miserably Ross would hire another inexperienced Head Coach who wants to run a similar offense and defense?
Lazor's offense and Gase's offense are nothing alike... Apples to christmas trees comparison...

Your hitting on something I brought up when suh left etc. again if we cant stop the run- season over, its just that simple to me.

Can we? Really concerned still IMO.

I mean its a ‘passing leauge’ we hear and while I get that I think most teams are smart enough to go big and run it down our throats if we cant stop the run.
Yep. Plus Buffalo runs the ball well and New England added Wynn and Michel with their first round picks. The AFC East will be a huge challenge in that regard. Not trying to be a naysayer, but certainly wanted to hear what others thought about this.

To be a legitimate playoff contender Miami has to be able to run the ball in crucial situations and stop the run in crucial situations. In a way, that may be an oversimplification but I think it still holds true.

I like Miami's chances of having an above average running game. Gase is good at scheming the running game, Drake looks like an emerging superstar (if he stays healthy) and Gore has always been able to get those tough yards. I'd say the Dolphins might be very improved in that regard.

My fear, really the biggest concern for the season, is stopping the run. I love that the team got faster and more athletic on defense. That should have been a priority and the front office saw that, which I can't complain about. Baker and Fitzpatrick are two players who should help Miami immensely in the passing game.

But stopping the run? On the defensive line, besides maybe Hayes, I don't see anyone who is particularly good at run defense. Lots of nice pass rushing options there and guys who can penetrate. Getting that penetration can certainly help in run defense, especially if the second level defense is athletic and fast.

Thoughts on this?

You said Penetration hehe

Even after signing Akeem Spence they were still looking at a veteran DT in Terrell McClain. That tells me we are not done adding to our DT rotation and understand the importance of having a good group that can replace Suh's snaps.

We haven't had an offense that ranked higher than 24th during the 2 years Gase has been our coach, so I wouldn't saying he is good at scheming much of anything at this point.

2 things we need........good blocking and pressure on the QB.

To be fair the offense ranked joint 11th on a points per play basis in his first year, unfortunately they were also last or near last in offensive plays. Conversely the D ranked 29th in points per play conceded and were probably on the field for more plays than the norm. I'd add greatly reducing the drive killing (O) and drive extending (D) penalties to the wish list.

Back
Top Bottom