Can the Miami Dolphins make the playoffs in 2020 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the Miami Dolphins make the playoffs in 2020

Right now every team in the league could make the playoffs next year. The Dolphins though will likely win 5-6 games and that won’t be nearly enough to make the playoffs. They are either going to have a career backup or a rookie playing QB for them next season and I just don’t see either one of them leading the Dolphins to the playoffs.
The defense should be better than last year but since they were the worst defense in the league last year, it shouldn’t be hard to improve on that side of the ball. I still think they will be in the bottom half of defenses in the league.
I don’t see Fitzpatrick playing well next season as he will be a year older and his history shows he just doesn’t play well year after year. If they draft Tua, I doubt he will play at all in the 2020 season because they will want to give his hip at least a year to fully heal.
If they draft Herbert or Love, I just don’t see either of them being ready to play immediately and certainly they won’t be ready to lead the team to the playoffs.
I think it is going to take at least the next two drafts and another free agency period before this team possibly gets back to 8-8 and I think it will be 2022 before they are a legitimate playoff contender.

Get Winston, use picks on other things well and there is a really good chance.

giphy.gif

FineZigzagDrongo-size_restricted.gif

I get it. I can understand the concern. Being a newbie around here not going to defend such a polarizing thing with any vigor.

Simple answer is NO.

And I dont care how you frame it or spin it. The roster is littered with holes right now and your asking Fitzpatrick to do something he just doesnt do....win consistently. As for the defense, they may play up to the middle of the pack by midseason, but i see them being a tired unit the 2nd half of the season.

Miami best chance for a winning record will be 2021 and that depends on the QB and his abilities with a more seasoned roster.

Good question 7 teams make playoff.. idk about Fitzpatrick being qb. Maybe Cam and add clowney

Right now every team in the league could make the playoffs next year. The Dolphins though will likely win 5-6 games and that won’t be nearly enough to make the playoffs. They are either going to have a career backup or a rookie playing QB for them next season and I just don’t see either one of them leading the Dolphins to the playoffs.
The defense should be better than last year but since they were the worst defense in the league last year, it shouldn’t be hard to improve on that side of the ball. I still think they will be in the bottom half of defenses in the league.
I don’t see Fitzpatrick playing well next season as he will be a year older and his history shows he just doesn’t play well year after year. If they draft Tua, I doubt he will play at all in the 2020 season because they will want to give his hip at least a year to fully heal.
If they draft Herbert or Love, I just don’t see either of them being ready to play immediately and certainly they won’t be ready to lead the team to the playoffs.
I think it is going to take at least the next two drafts and another free agency period before this team possibly gets back to 8-8 and I think it will be 2022 before they are a legitimate playoff contender.
I feel the same way. They may improve statistically on defense, but faulter on offense. I dint see more than 4-6 wins. Even less if Fitzpatrick falls flat.

I get it. I can understand the concern. Being a newbie around here not going to defend such a polarizing thing with any vigor.
Don't take it personally. Winston has a bit of baggage, for one thing, and he throws an awful lot of INTs.

Most of us here prefer to draft our QB, as opposed to retreads, and have them on 5 yrs of rookie contract.

I would say the opposite is true.

If Tua is the pick with 2 rookie OTs, it's more likely he sits. At least 3/4 of the season.

He is already, presumably, an injury risk (you can say he isn't all you want, but GMs are surely taking it into account).

Why would you expose him with an inexperienced O-line?
So many people on here claim a top 10 pick MUST start right away. Why the kid gloves with Tagovailoa? If they pick Burrow, do you sit him?

So many people on here claim a top 10 pick MUST start right away. Why the kid gloves with Tagovailoa? If they pick Burrow, do you sit him?
I do, but I realize there are differing opinions. I don't think most rook QBs are "ready" day one.

F/A helped, at least on paper, the defense potentially improve. Can't argue the Jones, Howard combo at CB isnt going to help. Miami finished in the bottom 3 on defense in 2019, so an expectation of improvement, isnt out of the question.

The problem as I see it is in offense. What exactly are they going to be. Lots of change over in coaches and soon to be players. I'm just not sure an improvement on offense is in the cards. It's possible Miami makes the playoffs. But I'm not expecting it. Flores has his work cut out for him on offense.

Agree. While the man has shown he can produce miracles, I think it's quite unfair to start expecting them from Flores. While excited about this coming season, I'm managing expectations. Let's give what we are building time to grow and mesh. They've come a long way in the build, but there remains a very long way to go. I say, in our minds, let any playoff opportunity be a pleasant surprise and no more.

This remains a time to hatch, grow and nurture. Not kick out of the nest expecting them to fly. We could hurt a lot of development by getting in too much of a hurry.

Last edited:
It would take a small miracle of limited injuries, a lot of fortunate bounces and winning most if not all one score games.

Can they [in theory]? Yes.

Will they? No.

I think the odds are better that the season isn’t played than that the Dolphins make the playoffs this year.

Back
Top Bottom