Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS?

N

NJFinFury2004

What I want you all to do is really think about this. Someone had mentioned we had many holes to fill, I don't agree. This team still has a core of players on it that are used to winning and making the playoffs.

Ok we didn't make the playoffs in 2002 or 2003, yes I know that. But we had a monumnetal collapse in 2002, losing to the Vikes and then letting the Pats come back and beat us in the last 4 mins? of the game. 2003 we were a 10-6 team that didn't qualify for the playoffs.

Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison still anchor a defense that can finish top 10, this we are all pretty sure about, correct? We have some nice new additions on D and its realistic to think we can even do a top 5 finish. With Saban behind the D we should be as competitive as we ever were, even with the losses of Surtain and Bowens.

Would we all agree that our offense looks to be in the best shape its been in as many 6 years? We look like we have a plan and lets not underestimate the skill level we have. Hopefully this O line can perform better and Feeley can be the next Brees.

Lets be honest fellow finatics, we have good talent on this offense. Chambers hasn't quite lived up to his expectations, but Wanny wasn't exactly an offensive genius.

Chambers, Booker and David Boston Healthy is a GREAT 3RD OPTION. Randy Mac is a top 10 TE and if we wind up with a Williams and Brown backfield, toss in a Lamar Gordon/ Sammy Morris who knows about KJ Harris, we have some sweet TALENT!

Basically we need good production from Feeley, who I happen to like. Why can't we make a playoff run? Look around the league at the rest of the teams, we have just as good if not more talent. Why can't we win this divsion?

There is no reason why we can't make the playoffs this season. I think under Lienehan Feeley will eventually win the Job and Flourish. I also think Houck will help improve our O line enough that it could wind up in the top 15, which will be good enough with all of our other pieces.

IM really looking forward to this season and I see no reason why we can't make a push for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Comments?

I agree it is possible, but there are a few Big IF's in your post...

FIRST and foremost the OLINE. IF Houck can turn them around to a top 15 unit...

Next, Defense steps up with the loss of Timbo, Surtain, and Poole. I am still scared of our D Tackles.

Last Feeley. I happen to like him too, but he has not proven he is a good QB yet. I hope he does, but that is a lot of things that have to go right.

NOT to mention a whole new offensive and defensive system for the players to learn. I HOPE YOU are right. Only time will tell.

Its too hard to say right now. I am sure all of us would like to say yes the fins will make the playoffs. But we will just have to wait till the season starts to find out for sure.
But i will say YES they will make the playoffs!! why not??

I think this team has a good chance to make the playoffs, as long as Feeley does not fall on his face, but also if with this new Offense Feeley Grows, and starts to make a difference, I think that Miami would have a good chance to not only make the playoffs, but go to a Superbowl. Why? Read on....

-Miami as you said will have a defense that will be good enough to stop people-
-Miami should have at the very least, be an effective running team again-
-Miami's O-line should be very improved from last year-
-Miami will use their receivers better this year, with a better and real O-coordinator-
-Miami will have a HC that will make adjustments at halftime when needed this year-
-Miami will not have the distractions of a pot head RB, or crying DE this year-

All and all, there will be more discipline on this team, better handling of the Offense and defense, and will not be married to one game plan. It all still falls on Feeley on how far this team goes, but I do not see Miami losing more then 7 games, unless we have a total collapse in the injury dept.

• Since 2000 17 teams have gone from losing records to the playoff's the following year including four teams last year.

Oboy, good reply. But doesn't every team have their fair share of Ifs? Jets fans have this divsion locked up after the Pats losses, why? Can Chad Pennington stay healthy? IF not, Jay Fiedler who is already ahead of him from what I hear on sports radio 66 MIKE N the MADDOG have been saying. Lets face it as I like to call him " Jay Fumbler" is not a big time QB and makes his fair share of mistakes in BIG SPOTS.

How about Herm Edwards? I know JETS fans like him, but they are the worst fans in the NFL when it comes to knowledge of their own teams, trust me I live in Jet Country. Edwards is an idiot in my opinion. A good motivator who lacks planning skills and we all know about his time management.

IF Curtis Martin can have another pro bowl year. How much longer can Martin play before he shows signs of age? Didn't the JETS lose a few O lineman in the off season?

IF The Bills QB can be good.
IF the Pats can overcome the losses they have sustained in the FA and their coaching staff.

So the FINS aren't the only teams with the "IFS" all the teams in the AFC EAST have them. IM not as worried about Feeley or the O line as some. The O line started to play better last year and Feeley with a few studs in the backfield and another year under his belt, should be a decent QB.

I don't think there will be too many problems in learning the new systems. And we have solid talent in most positions for the 2005 season. A nice mix of VETS and ROOKS and I think we have a VERY GOOD chance of being the next Pitt of 2005 or Jets, who turned their seasons around after struggling the season before. Maybe even the next Chargers.

thedayafter said:
  • Since 2000 17 teams have gone from losing records to the playoff's the following year including four teams last year.
i see a big diffrence between a lossing record and the #2 overall draft pick.

CH19, The Steelers were 6-10 in 2003 and went 15-1 last year. The Jets went flipped their record 6-10 to 10-6.

Miami was a 4-12 team that were in some tough games and still has a core of players who know how to win and a coach who was the most coveted by the NFL the last 5 years.

I think the Bills will finish last in the Divsion. Will they overcome that TERRIBLE PATHETIC loss to the Steelers bench team, that kept them out of the playoffs and let the Jets back in? You also have a ROOKIE starting at QB. Where as Feeley will be in his second year and hopefully most of his bumps and bruises are over.

I highly doubt the Bills win more than 6 games with a Rookie at QB.

Miami 11-5
Pats 10-6
Jets 8-8 Jay Fiedler
Bills 6-10

Have a nice day

i totally agree...every team has question marks...last year when everything went wrong, we were still competitive and NEVER QUIT...probably should have went between 6-10 and 8-8 last year but blew a few games(cincy, ari., sea., den.,buf. at home)probably should have lost the pats game...the coaching change, the players that were brought in, we can have a big turn around...

I think they can if ricky returns and they can get decent play from their QB, whoever that may be. The offensive line must gel and they have to stay away from key injuries. We know the coaching will be there, now it's time for the players to step it up. So why not lets think postive , the fins playoff bound in 05

NJFinFury2004 said:
What I want you all to do is really think about this. Someone had mentioned we had many holes to fill, I don't agree. This team still has a core of players on it that are used to winning and making the playoffs.

Ok we didn't make the playoffs in 2002 or 2003, yes I know that. But we had a monumnetal collapse in 2002, losing to the Vikes and then letting the Pats come back and beat us in the last 4 mins? of the game. 2003 we were a 10-6 team that didn't qualify for the playoffs.

Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison still anchor a defense that can finish top 10, this we are all pretty sure about, correct? We have some nice new additions on D and its realistic to think we can even do a top 5 finish. With Saban behind the D we should be as competitive as we ever were, even with the losses of Surtain and Bowens.

Would we all agree that our offense looks to be in the best shape its been in as many 6 years? We look like we have a plan and lets not underestimate the skill level we have. Hopefully this O line can perform better and Feeley can be the next Brees.

Lets be honest fellow finatics, we have good talent on this offense. Chambers hasn't quite lived up to his expectations, but Wanny wasn't exactly an offensive genius.

Chambers, Booker and David Boston Healthy is a GREAT 3RD OPTION. Randy Mac is a top 10 TE and if we wind up with a Williams and Brown backfield, toss in a Lamar Gordon/ Sammy Morris who knows about KJ Harris, we have some sweet TALENT!

Basically we need good production from Feeley, who I happen to like. Why can't we make a playoff run? Look around the league at the rest of the teams, we have just as good if not more talent. Why can't we win this divsion?

There is no reason why we can't make the playoffs this season. I think under Lienehan Feeley will eventually win the Job and Flourish. I also think Houck will help improve our O line enough that it could wind up in the top 15, which will be good enough with all of our other pieces.

IM really looking forward to this season and I see no reason why we can't make a push for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Comments?
I think they will. I think the Phins will surprise some people this year.

NJFinFury2004 said:

Thoughts? Comments?
ill start with the Defense.
your D line is improved ovre last season. but you filled the gaps with old players who are, IMO, past their prime. can they do what they did in the past?? thats a good question. J. Taylor is a very good player. Roth is a ROOKIE so he will be sharing playing time. and wont be getting 8 sacks.
so improved, but not dominant.

the LBs are solid. (aging, but still the backbone of your D. and probubly a probowler in there next season)

the secondary is a weakness IMO. madison is not in the same class as surtain. howard, while not to bad, is not in the same class as madison. so its weaker than previous years. the safeties are a problem also. Tillman is not good enough to start. and the SS is a good tackler but weak in pass coverage. the Bills have a SS like that. we use him alot, but hes NOT the starter. i sure dont want him in there on a passing down. :shakeno: yalls Passing D is alot weaker than last seasons.

now the Offense:
the O-Line is improved, not that it was dificult to improve on last years performance, but still improved. there are still a few problems at C and OT, but its not THAT bad. so thats improved.

RB, imiproved on the basis that Brown is expected to run well. but again, players dont usually have probowl seasons their rookie year. and i wont even mention Ricky as part of your O, till he takes a snap in a game. will he even make it through camp??

TE is set, but you dont want to see the backup AT ALL. still very good.

WR is just a huge question mark. Chambers is the #1, and will play very well like he always does. Booker is getting older, but can still cetch. and we all have no way of knowing what boston will do after injury and lack of steroids. but ill say you got a good recieving core, but that brings me to the QB.

the QB is a weakness. even with a 3 WR and 1 TE set, he wont be as productive as many want him to be. he might be better than last season, but not by much. he will get alot of blame for the losses.

overall:
Rushing D: improved but we wont know by how much till they play.
Passing D: MUCH weaker. i bet you see alot more blitzing from Seau and Spargan.
Passing O: slightly improved
Rushing O: improved

this is not the best Dolphin D we have seen the past few years, and its also not the best Dolphins team that weve seen teh past few years.

i dont think the fins will make the playoffs and will be at the bottom of the AFC east again this season. and finish 7-9

Go Figure a Bills fan that doesn't think we make the playoffs. I don't agree. This D overral is better than what we had last season and we finished in the top 10. Yes we lost Poole and Surtain, But I think Daniels can step in and contribute and we still could sign a corner.

The D line is MUCH IMPROVED. Just with the signing of Carter, Traylor and Holliday. Holliday will be a sweet role player for us and Carter sill had a good year last year and is 31.

This D unit is a top 10, maybe a 5. You don't know what Crowder or Roth will do. You are just guessing.

Ricky is back and a Ricky and Ronnie backfield is the best in the NFL. Ronnie Brown will have an immediate impact on the FINS just like Tomlison did for the Chargers. Most STUD RB contribute their first seasons, so you are wrong there!

Chambers, Booker and Boston are pretty good. The O line healthy now will be MUCH better and Houck is one of the best O line coaches in the game. Booker and Gordon were thrown into the mix last season, this year they have much more time here to learn the system and I EXPECT more from both.

Williams, Brown and Gordon are the best 3 RB'S in the NFL.

This offense talent wise is better than anything we have had here in MIAMI in a long TIME!! You name an offense better than this one in the last 6 or 7 years? You can't. And the D is comparable with the nice infusion of Rooks and Vets.

Your prediction is wayyyyyy offfff...

Can we make the play offs, sure!! But that's not going to happen this year. Once again,we're in such a rush to get to the top. Let's take it one step at a time and see how things play out. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom