Can Tua be the next Drew Brees? Orlovsky thinks so........ | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Tua be the next Drew Brees? Orlovsky thinks so........

Totally agree, it's too early to tell if Tua can be the cerebral QB. Looking at past games looks like he is still relying on the play called with little D read and changing protections. However definitely more mobile, like to see him scramble a little more.
IMO he's shown a ton in that regard. We've seen him make a mistake early in the game and then face a similar situation later in the same game and make a better decision. That was certainly what he did in college. And it was the defining trait that Dilfer mentioned as the #1 reason Tua would be successful. He called Tua a one rep learner. I haven't seen anything to disprove that assessment.

Tua has elite accuracy and elite release speed, but he does not yet have elite decision-making. I believe that his decision-making has now reached the level that he is above average. He wasn't there earlier in the season, but you don't get so many consecutive 100+ rated games and post the second most accurate month in NFL history without very good decision-making. IMO he's taken a significant step in that area of late. So to your point, I agree that he is a better decision-maker than more than half of the other QBs in the league. That is very good for a QB who has just 16 starts under his belt. However, the Miami offense can't run and is very risk averse so the margin for error is tiny. Tua has to be at least above average in his decision-making to make-up for the rest of the offense. I do believe that Tua has elite processing speed and will eventually be an elite decision-maker. That's the area where he has to continue to improve.

Oh i totally agree he has to improve. My point was he gets hammered on things, like Interceptions for example, but who doesnt have ints. I wasnt saying he was perfect by any means

Oh i totally agree he has to improve. My point was he gets hammered on things, like Interceptions for example, but who doesnt have ints. I wasnt saying he was perfect by any means
There's no doubt Tua gets hammered unfairly by some haters. I can acknowledge his areas where improvement is needed while recognizing that he is currently playing at an incredibly high level, particularly since he has to carry the offense. I can also see that his potential is almost unlimited. I'm not one of those "Dolphin fans" who jumps on anything he doesn't do perfectly yet as a reason to bash him.

With all due respect to Orlovsky and his enormous ears, I can’t seriously take the word of a QB who doesn’t know where the endline is in the endzone.

I hope not. Drew Brees did nothing on rookie contract. Tua needs to do better to earn the second contract.

I hope not. Drew Brees did nothing on rookie contract. Tua needs to do better to earn the second contract.
I thought it was obvious that Brees was good, even on his rookie contract. He didn't produce b/c he was in a poor situation, but the traits were clearly there. Tua has been better than Brees was despite being in an even worse situation. He has similar traits, but arguably more talent. Seeing how Brees developed should provide a huge confidence boost to anybody who is a Dolphin's fan.

I thought it was obvious that Brees was good, even on his rookie contract. He didn't produce b/c he was in a poor situation, but the traits were clearly there. Tua has been better than Brees was despite being in an even worse situation. He has similar traits, but arguably more talent. Seeing how Brees developed should provide a huge confidence boost to anybody who is a Dolphin's fan.

Nobody cares about traits once in the NFL. It's about scoring, production, playoffs and superbowl.

Back
Top Bottom