Can You Read The Signs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can You Read The Signs?

Wish Miami could have kept Jarvis Landry. Makes zero sense when you look at the roster and lack of star talent.

The availability and subsequent acquisition of Rosen changed the basic dynamic of this teams rebuild
in the sense we have a legit possibility to solve the QB riddle with talent on the roster. That means the
"bridge" to 2020 is a lot more sturdy than we anticipated before the draft -- and that also means Flores
and Grier may invest more aggressively to "win right away" than previously thought.

That said I don't anticipate them burning picks to address an OL spot or DE spot before the season starts
but it's pretty evident they are going to aggressively churn through candidates to fill positions. That aspect
tells me if there was ever a hint of tank it's absolutely out of the equation now.

Of course if Rosen "tanks" it's all for naught. I don't anticipate that happening but it's way to early to get
any definitive sense of what we really have. But I'm like 99% sure when they landed Rosen (which no one
was even remotely considering 45 days before the draft) it altered their initial plan.

Last -- found it interesting when Ryan Fitzpatrick was asked if he would have signed with Miami if he knew
Rosen was going to be on the roster -- he essentially avoided the question (meaning the rather obvious
he would not have signed IMO).

Just underscores the basic fact how much the (unexpected) addition of Rosen altered the basic trajectory of the program.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF
I think you are absolutely right. I don't believe the front office expected to get a talent like Rosen. Fitzpatrick was their bridge.

But when Rosen became available they were smart enough to change course. In that sense, the rebuild started a year earlier at the crucial quarterback position.

Agree with everything but 2. Vernon,Miller, Landry all let go but they were the right choices. Think Howard is the only one they deemed worthy as he’s finished as a top corner and improved every year meanwhile guys like miller,Vernon and Landry all had limitations and even at there peak were maybe top players 10. Think they deemed Howard as I believe he has no limitations and see no reason barring injury he’s not a top 3 corner.
Those weren't under the current hierarchical structure. He speaks of this offseason. Those were under Tannenbaum's watch.

Wish Miami could have kept Jarvis Landry. Makes zero sense when you look at the roster and lack of star talent.
Having seen him play last year, I would take Wilson without blinking an eye. Much higher RAC than Landry for less money. I wasn't sold when it first happened, but I certainly am now.

Having seen him play last year, I would take Wilson without blinking an eye. Much higher RAC than Landry for less money. I wasn't sold when it first happened, but I certainly am now.
No doubt Wilson looked great, but he missed most of the season. One of the great attributes with Landry is his durability.

Of course, we'll have to see how it plays out.

No doubt Wilson looked great, but he missed most of the season. One of the great attributes with Landry is his durability.

Yeah, but that was a freak thing that happened to Wilson, nothing he could have done to prevent it. It wasn't like he could play through a sore groin injury and decided not to. I can't hold that against him. I would have loved to see how he did for the entire season, he was on fire.

The issue with Landry was combination of poor attitude and financing. Landry wanted to be paid like a top receiver in the league and I believe he was being paid more than Hopkins and AB. Issue is that Landry didn't have the same ability as those two do in terms of demanding coverage and breaking open. Landry is a high end slot option, but not a premier receiver in the league. Sure he got paid, but last year the Browns were upset Landry was ineffective until Freddie Kitchens and Baker mayfiled came along. They saw enough to go get his buddy OBJ, and also pay him his money. So now you have high cap hits for both recievers and only one is worth his production.

Then there was his attitude. Landry couldn't help himself with taunting and personal foul penalties. He was often out of position on routes and not able to comprehend the playbook. Then there was the last month of the season where he is screaming at Gase on the sideline and then getting thrown out in a game we could have won against Buffalo.

All in all we had our reasons which were validated.

How many times have we as fans said this is different? I've been to this rodeo before. Don't believe it until it actually happens. If you can't tell, I've become jaded by the last 20yrs.
I agree. Not pessimism but realism. At this time of year everyone could Be the next star - UDFAs, late round pick, underachiever with a prior team, etc.
We are all looking for stuff to read. Time will tell.
BTW, I thought we were tanking.

I agree. Not pessimism but realism. At this time of year everyone could Be the next star - UDFAs, late round pick, underachiever with a prior team, etc.
We are all looking for stuff to read. Time will tell.
BTW, I thought we were tanking.
Picking up Rosen changed that.

The issue with Landry was combination of poor attitude and financing. Landry wanted to be paid like a top receiver in the league and I believe he was being paid more than Hopkins and AB. Issue is that Landry didn't have the same ability as those two do in terms of demanding coverage and breaking open. Landry is a high end slot option, but not a premier receiver in the league. Sure he got paid, but last year the Browns were upset Landry was ineffective until Freddie Kitchens and Baker mayfiled came along. They saw enough to go get his buddy OBJ, and also pay him his money. So now you have high cap hits for both recievers and only one is worth his production.

Then there was his attitude. Landry couldn't help himself with taunting and personal foul penalties. He was often out of position on routes and not able to comprehend the playbook. Then there was the last month of the season where he is screaming at Gase on the sideline and then getting thrown out in a game we could have won against Buffalo.

All in all we had our reasons which were validated.
I think a lot of that was Adam Gase. With a coach who demands accountability, I doubt we'd see those antics with Landry. I also don't buy the route running, or not knowing the playbook. Landry knows how to get open. He has more catches in his first five season than any player in the history. That doesn't happen if you don't know the playbook. I think that was a Gase excuse and a red flag on him as a coach that in year two seemingly players didn't know the play book.

All that said, I do agree on some of what you said. Financially, the team could have made it work, but it was a lot for a slot guy.

Yea but he (Wilson) broke down.

Landry was bulletproof.

I think you are absolutely right. I don't believe the front office expected to get a talent like Rosen. Fitzpatrick was their bridge.

But when Rosen became available they were smart enough to change course. In that sense, the rebuild started a year earlier at the crucial quarterback position.

Yeah I don’t anything really changed other than taking a shot on a talented QB... we are still setup for monster 2020 draft, big difference being we may not have to use the #1 on a QB.

Back
Top Bottom