Can't miss prospect? OT edition | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can't miss prospect? OT edition

Actually there are some that are really high rates. I was pretty surprised. But yes that is largely my arguement. Can't miss doesn't really exist

Patrick Willis
Ole Miss2007
2Vontaze BurfictArizona State2012*
3Jerod MayoTennessee2008
4Jonathan VilmaMiami (FL)2004
5Jon BeasonMiami (FL)2007
6Rolando McClainAlabama2010
7Dan MorganMiami (FL)2001
8Nick BarnettOregon State2003
9A.J. HawkOhio State2006
10Kevin BurnettTennessee2005

Where is Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis on this list?

Actually there are some that are really high rates. I was pretty surprised. But yes that is largely my arguement. Can't miss doesn't really exist

Patrick Willis
Ole Miss2007
2Vontaze BurfictArizona State2012*
3Jerod MayoTennessee2008
4Jonathan VilmaMiami (FL)2004
5Jon BeasonMiami (FL)2007
6Rolando McClainAlabama2010
7Dan MorganMiami (FL)2001
8Nick BarnettOregon State2003
9A.J. HawkOhio State2006
10Kevin BurnettTennessee2005
Other than McClain, those LBs were all very good in the Pros.

Is there anyone in the history of football that has a better reach block than Sewell? His is so good it's like having an extra lineman for free.

I respectfully disagree. Miami said today that Tua will be the 2021 starter. If that is their commitment, it is a risky move playing with the youngster’s confidence and not worth the drama.

The leverage is already there without Miami putting out they might take a QB... San Francisco, Denver, Carolina, Detroit all may be wanting to jump above Philly and each other to get their QB along with Cincy wanting to get Sewell to protect Burrow.

No he said Tua is our starting QB. That means he’s preferred over Ruduck and Sinnett.

Listen, I will preface this by saying I am absolutely 100 percent for trading down and collecting a next years 1st rounder from someone. However, I am beyond baffled by how many people buy into pre draft hype on players, especially at Tackle.

Grading tackles is one of the toughest things to do. The people that argue Sewell is a can't miss talent really need to figure out how they are getting to that conclusion. Is it stats? Is it what draft gurus say? Because I think we all should step back and make sure it isn't what people are just saying about a player and are making their own opinions instead.

Here is the highest graded tackles ever pre draft.

1Joe ThomasWisconsin2007
2Jake LongMichigan2008
3Leonard DavisTexas2001
4Russell OkungOklahoma St2010
5Mike WilliamsTexas2002
6Robert GalleryIowa2004
7Andre SmithAlabama2009
8Eric WinstonMiami (FL)2006
9Trent WilliamsOklahoma2010
10Matt KalilUSC2012

Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Russell Okung, Eric Winston and Trent Williams were great pros. But thats only 50% of the top highest rated Tackles EVER.

The other 5 were complete busts in the NFL as tackles.

Jake Long, Eric Winston and Trent Williams all ended up leaving the franchise that drafted them because the team ended up not paying them.

This means only 2 of the highest graded tackles ever really had a true meaningful impact to their team that made them worth keeping around.

I realise this will get flamed. I realise that Sewell may very well be a HOF tackle when all is said and done. But we all need to realise he may very well (and the odds are in favor of) end up being a bust or at the very least may not be all he is built up to be.

If we draft Sewell I will pray he is a HOF, but people need to really stop pretending that he is a lock to be an all time great. The draft is a crap shoot. How people transition to the NFL is and has always been a lot of luck. People get paid a lot of money to only hit on 1 or 2 a year and that is considered good.

Great teams in the NFL build through the draft. Increasing the number of picks, and therefore the odds, is by far the best way to do this.

When's the next addition? WR? Edge?

IMO the 3rd pick is even more valuable if Wilson and Fields are available. A team knows they can get their guy at 3 before Atlanta picks. It is a good chance for them to draft Matt Ryan’s replacement. If that is the route they want to go.

Now that Atl has their new HC, they might stick w/ Matt Ryan for another yr. AS made RT17 look good.

That said, the phins would benefit from ATL throwing up a smoke screen about loving Fields & Wilson. This may force the hand of the Panthers or Lions into leapfrogging the Falcons

Pac 12 defense couldn't rush a passer if they actually got paid to do.

Penei Sewell is not better than Tunsil, his team gifted us the 3rd overall pick.ad

Not True.

While this past season was like any other, Utah, USC, & Stanford have had stout Defenses... its Wazzu, the AZ schools, Ucla, & Oregon that have skewed the perception of the P12. with their schemes/philosophies

p.s. I'm skeptical; of the phins using the #3 pick on player who opted out (Sewell or Parsons)

I don't understand how the highest rated tackles EVER pre draft all start after 2001. I have a hard time believing Eric Winston was rated higher than Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, or Walter Jones. Who's list is this?
I had the same thought, but didn’t want to bother bringing it up. The list he has is crap.

The combine is important because you get to see if this kid was a man amongst boys and has peaked, or he has that baby Huey factor where he still has upside to grow at the next level. That’s when you throw out the college highlight reel, they are all good, let’s face it. But a mature man playing at the next level is not in every great college player. There are some positions where you want that Joe Lunchbucket mauler that is going to come in and take care of business every Sunday like a j.o.b. I’m not drafting gold teeth guys, sorry. I want professionals.

I finally looked at sewell. Expected more frankly. His reach blocking and ability to get out in front of things is impressive. Crosses guys faces well. Pulls well also. But his technique in pass pro is raw seems to do a lot of catching and doesn’t always carry his feet. First 3 steps look great choppy steps or stops moving his feet after can get him in trouble at the next level.

technique is not as clean as I had hoped. Top 5 pick I want a technician. Has plus feet needs to trust em more. Lots of pistol on his college tape sophomore year all pistol in fact.

id have parsons over him purely on talent and upside

Last edited:
Great post.Every damn position is a crap shoot.We have to hit on whatever player we take at that position.
Me personally I am done with corn.I want ELECTRIC I want a ****ing STUD.

Great post.Every damn position is a crap shoot.We have to hit on whatever player we take at that position.
Me personally I am done with corn.I want ELECTRIC I want a ****ing STUD.

Me too, unfortunately Chris Grier is our GM and electricity is out of commission. I expect something like compost, the promise of some high quality fertilizer for my yard plants.

Me too, unfortunately Chris Grier is our GM and electricity is out of commission. I expect something like compost, the promise of some high quality fertilizer for my yard plants.
Chris Grier is the epitome of vanilla, probably wears tightly whities. That is why barring a trade down Sewell will be the pick if he is there.

Back
Top Bottom