Cap Break down | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Break down

I can see both sides on this one.

It's very fair to say MG isn't a "complete" player in the conventional (historical) view of what an elite TE should be able to do. He will never be a power formation inline blocker.

On the ither hand, he's more than capable as a blocker downfield, in chip situations, even on sweeps, etc. IOW, I think some ppl really overstate the situation.

MG also has top tier pass catching ability. Top 3? Top 6, conservatively? He was drafted by this organization. He has gotten better and better as a player, route runner, at being technically sound, as an emotional leader, as a dependable offensive weapon year after year, through clown shoes, and teardowns, without once whining.

He just showed up virtually every game, gave 100%, and made an uncanny amount of fantastic catches, often in big spots in games.

If anybody desrves to be rewarded by a club, it's MG.

Ultimately though, it is a business of asset allocation.

It's easy to say 13.5 mil is to much, because he isn't Kelsy, but while true, it fails to recognize that the salary cap is rising substantially. It's simple economics. A much larger pie is going to be split by a finite number of players. All future contracts, for all positions will reflect a rising pay scale.

My take is sure there is a point where it just doesn't make sense to keep the player (JL for example), but I'm not going to quibble over a couple million.

The structure, gaurantees, and "outs" are of more import than the yearly number. Almost any top rated FA, which everybody would agree MG is, is going to get a buttload up front in a signing bonus. When you look at a contract like that, everything may not be as it appears when just looking at a yearly amount/average.

*VERY* few NFL players are "complete."
That's why 'average players get big paydays. Some don't understand that

Back
Top Bottom