Cap Break down | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Break down

I hate starting threads just on the off chance that it’s already been covered, so if it has I apologize. I just stumbled upon this cap breakdown and thought it was interesting. I’ve used spottrac before but never noticed the positional breakdown and how it compares to NFL ranking. We have the highest cap % for WR’s which isn’t surprising, but it’s certainly unfortunate given the production (cough… Fuller… cough).

We are 31st in OL cap allotment which doesn’t surprise anyone. So this begs the question. Did they expect guys to blossom or did they take a horrible OL into the year because they didn’t think they are a contender this year?

View attachment 89284

QB - money will be a big question mark. If Tua is the guy than it probably stays about the same. They’ll look for a vet due to Tua’s injury history. There‘s still a high chance IMO of a trade which could drastically change that QB number.

RB - I’d love to draft a guy. Cheaper and you can get good enough guys every year to be competent.

WR - big opportunity to drop payroll (Fuller, Parker, Wilson), but how do we fill in the gaps left behind?

TE - Gesicki?

OL - please for the sake of everyone at least get to average.

DL - Ogbah is probably going to get paid pretty well. I suspect we let him walk and use the cash elsewhere.

LB - Draft upgrade would be great

DB - this will be unchanged imo

Considering where we rank, DL seems to be our bright spot here. It looks like they are building from the outside in. While they are drafting interior the money being spent is outside in.

Nice breakdown. They say you get what you pay for and when you look at that even if you haven't watched a game this season you could guess the three worst units are OL, LB and RB.

WR stands out as it should be much better, but Parker and Fuller can't get on the field.

Most team with a QB on the rookie contract will be lower so that one me to me is not a big deal.

I'd rather move on from Gesicki. Not cause I don't think he isn't a good dude. But, because he isn't a good TE.
Smythe, is really coming along nicely and he is a complete TE.
We need to trade DVP or keep him. His 5.5 million in dead money isn't an option.
I'd like to draft a QB late in 5-6 round.
You don’t think Gisecki is good? He’s not much of a blocker but as a receiving TE I think he’s great, borderline elite.

The $16 mill cap number for X is nuts. We're $32 million for two corners next year.
Yeah, with X restructuring twice now he's going no where and will probably get a new deal completely. I wouldn't be shock if they ask Jones to restructure as well because unless you want to eat a $12m cap hit they can't cut him until after next season, when his hit drops down to $4m. Still a lot but much more palatable than the $12m.

Ironic we've spent the least on OL and RB, and they're the biggest glaring needs. Pretty clear we have also missed greatly at WR...

You don’t think Gisecki is good? He’s not much of a blocker but as a receiving TE I think he’s great, borderline elite.
Gesicki, is not a good TE. He is a good pass catcher. But he isn't 13.5 million a year good. Right now we use him in the slot mostly. He doesn't have the production of a 13 million dollar WR.

Nope I find a way to keep him and create plays for him. His hands are just too great to let go
I don't disagree. But wouldn't you rather pay a WR 13.5 Million that will better help our team? Gesicki is too expensive for his numbers.

I wanted clarify, I really like Gesicki. I enjoy watching him play. I just wish his asking price was more in line with what his production is. I just want to win games and for our team to spend money wisely.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. But wouldn't you rather pay a WR 13.5 Million that will better help our team? Gesicki is too expensive for his numbers.

I wanted clarify, I really like Gesicki. I enjoy watching him play. I just wish his asking price was more in line with what his production is. I just want to win games and for our team to spend money wisely.
I get what you are saying and don't completely disagree. He's not a well-rounded TE, but neither are a lot of the top pass catching TE's in the league. He's a weapon and Miami really doesn't know how to use him, which is very frustrating.

I'm not concerned about his in-line blocking and he blocks well enough for down field blocking. I would like to see him become a better rout runner though. I'd be ok paying him the $13m, but don't want to see it go over that. It's up to Miami to get him more involved.

I 100% agree with your point. Two things for me.

My young son, whos just getting into football, loves Gesicki. I would like him to say for my son’s sake :-) :)

I do fear that he goes elsewhere and starts to put up $13.5 million production. I feel like there has to be better ways to utilize him.

I 100% agree with your point. Two things for me.

My young son, whos just getting into football, loves Gesicki. I would like him to say for my son’s sake :-) :)

I do fear that he goes elsewhere and starts to put up $13.5 million production. I feel like there has to be better ways to utilize him.
Its possible we franchise him for 9 million.

I get what you are saying and don't completely disagree. He's not a well-rounded TE, but neither are a lot of the top pass catching TE's in the league.
Which are you referring to? The top pass catching TEs: Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews and Goedart are all amazing blockers. Everyone listed above can and is expected to block D Lineman 1v1.
Most people don't know that Gonzales was a great run blocker.
The thing is, Gesicki's agent wants money in line with those TEs.

I get what you are saying and don't completely disagree. He's not a well-rounded TE, but neither are a lot of the top pass catching TE's in the league. He's a weapon and Miami really doesn't know how to use him, which is very frustrating.

I'm not concerned about his in-line blocking and he blocks well enough for down field blocking. I would like to see him become a better rout runner though. I'd be ok paying him the $13m, but don't want to see it go over that. It's up to Miami to get him more involved.
I can see both sides on this one.

It's very fair to say MG isn't a "complete" player in the conventional (historical) view of what an elite TE should be able to do. He will never be a power formation inline blocker.

On the ither hand, he's more than capable as a blocker downfield, in chip situations, even on sweeps, etc. IOW, I think some ppl really overstate the situation.

MG also has top tier pass catching ability. Top 3? Top 6, conservatively? He was drafted by this organization. He has gotten better and better as a player, route runner, at being technically sound, as an emotional leader, as a dependable offensive weapon year after year, through clown shoes, and teardowns, without once whining.

He just showed up virtually every game, gave 100%, and made an uncanny amount of fantastic catches, often in big spots in games.

If anybody desrves to be rewarded by a club, it's MG.

Ultimately though, it is a business of asset allocation.

It's easy to say 13.5 mil is to much, because he isn't Kelsy, but while true, it fails to recognize that the salary cap is rising substantially. It's simple economics. A much larger pie is going to be split by a finite number of players. All future contracts, for all positions will reflect a rising pay scale.

My take is sure there is a point where it just doesn't make sense to keep the player (JL for example), but I'm not going to quibble over a couple million.

The structure, gaurantees, and "outs" are of more import than the yearly number. Almost any top rated FA, which everybody would agree MG is, is going to get a buttload up front in a signing bonus. When you look at a contract like that, everything may not be as it appears when just looking at a yearly amount/average.

I hate starting threads just on the off chance that it’s already been covered, so if it has I apologize. I just stumbled upon this cap breakdown and thought it was interesting. I’ve used spottrac before but never noticed the positional breakdown and how it compares to NFL ranking. We have the highest cap % for WR’s which isn’t surprising, but it’s certainly unfortunate given the production (cough… Fuller… cough).

We are 31st in OL cap allotment which doesn’t surprise anyone. So this begs the question. Did they expect guys to blossom or did they take a horrible OL into the year because they didn’t think they are a contender this year?

View attachment 89284

QB - money will be a big question mark. If Tua is the guy than it probably stays about the same. They’ll look for a vet due to Tua’s injury history. There‘s still a high chance IMO of a trade which could drastically change that QB number.

RB - I’d love to draft a guy. Cheaper and you can get good enough guys every year to be competent.

WR - big opportunity to drop payroll (Fuller, Parker, Wilson), but how do we fill in the gaps left behind?

TE - Gesicki?

OL - please for the sake of everyone at least get to average.

DL - Ogbah is probably going to get paid pretty well. I suspect we let him walk and use the cash elsewhere.

LB - Draft upgrade would be great

DB - this will be unchanged imo

Considering where we rank, DL seems to be our bright spot here. It looks like they are building from the outside in. While they are drafting interior the money being spent is outside in.

I'd like to see all suggested/favored cap moves listed with cap costs. Some posts seem to put MIA over cap. And account for rookie salaries and 'emergency' needs

Back
Top Bottom