Cap, Cuts and Roster Movement | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap, Cuts and Roster Movement

We've got, at least, 10 guys on the roster who have virtually zero chance to ever make our roster... even after another year on the practice squad. When we cut these guys in a week or two, most of the posters here were go... "who?"
During the off season only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap. Along with bonuses paid to players. So cutting any players who are not included in the top 51 really won’t help in creating cap space.

I suspect they will have to cut some players that the fans do know who they are, if they want to get their cap room down before June 1st.

During the off season only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap. Along with bonuses paid to players. So cutting any players who are not included in the top 51 really won’t help in creating cap space.

I suspect they will have to cut some players that the fans do know who they are, if they want to get their cap room down before June 1st.
Yeah... two different subjects.

My point was about player space, we have that.

To get cap space is where you circle back to Grant and Fejedelem.

Yeah... two different subjects.

My point was about player space, we have that.

To get cap space is where you circle back to Grant and Fejedelem.
Sorry, I was writing about cap space to sign the draft picks and UDFA. I do agree with you that there are several players at the bottom of the roster who can be cut to make room for more UDFA’s and players cut from other teams after the draft if the Dolphins want to add players.

Sorry, I was writing about cap space to sign the draft picks and UDFA. I do agree with you that there are several players at the bottom of the roster who can be cut to make room for more UDFA’s and players cut from other teams after the draft if the Dolphins want to add players.
My bad... I should have been clearer.

I read that presently they don’t have the cap space to sign all their draft picks and a full UDFA class to fill out the roster. So I would expect some cuts over the coming weeks to make room to sign the draft class,

They will likely wait until after June 1st to release Grant, Hurns, and possibly Wilson if they are planning to release them before training camp. By waiting until June 1st to release any or all of these WR’s they will save money against the cap.
I agree that post June 1st is the likely scenario for some guys.

One technicality, it isn't really a cap savings, so much as moving the dead money to a later time.

One aspect of this coming year is that there will be cap problems for more NFL teams than usual because of the reduced cap.

With more teams then usual having to release players due to cap limitations, it will be a "buyers market" for a lot of these newly released Free Agents.

Where will our FO draw the line on who to cut, who to keep and who to get as Free Agents may have even more effect on this years team makeup then the draft. Considering the obvious planning our FO did in preparation for the draft, I feel they also planned for this "post draft" Free Agency market glut, and will be in a position to take advantage of it. I expect the FO to treat this situation as a second draft.

If this turns out to be the case, I would expect to see large player reductions in groups where we have significantly improved our capabilities i.e. the receiving group; and I would expect to see even deeper cuts in our weaker groups ( these groups are getting harder to define, and that's a good thing ), with Free Agents being added back to those weaker groups.

I am predicting that our team this year will have a lot more new faces then now!

Grant, Hurns, Wilson, Feje and McCain. I think are all gone. Rowe I think stays because of his work against TE's, he's been very good there. Miami needs about $3 million dollars more, to be able to sign the draft picks. I also think Jones gets restructured to create a cushion for in season issues and potential carryover.

I predicted 2 trades before/during draft. There was only 1- Flowers. So I was wrong. But I still think more trades. I think Grier get something for Grant.

I have Wilson making my 53 and Hurns cut.
Not sure we'll get anything for Grant, but you should hold your head high brother. Most of us didn't see the Flowers trade coming like you did. I was advocating that we should cut Lawson and Flowers from a salary cap standpoint, but was a bit blindsided by the Van Noy cut myself, and so late in the process I didn't expect us to move on from Flowers, although IMHO it was the right move.

So brother, I'm counting this prediction as a win for you! Hold your head high!

It is refreshing that when we make a bad signing we move on. Not with Gase too much pride. Cut your losses not everything works out

I pulled up a current roster...

Tino Ellis, Tyrrell Bonds, Jordan Scarlett, Chris Myarick, Nate Holley, Jonathan Ledbetter, Brian Cole, Javaris Davis, Kirk Merritt, Nick Coe...

Out of this entire list... if even ONE of them had any real promise, we'd be blessed.
Who?

A TE is being cut or traded, McCain or Rowe is cut, most likely McCain. Probably Grant gets the X.
I've discussed these exact players in another thread. Grant, Smythe, McCain saves 10 million...we have 10 million now. Should be sufficient.

We can also create room if we extend Ogbah and Fuller.

We can keep 55 on roster it has been extended for all NFL teams.
I had 55 but someone saidnI was wrong.. I thought it was 55 fully protected but was told no only game day.

Back
Top Bottom