Cap, Cuts and Roster Movement | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap, Cuts and Roster Movement

I may have overstated my position, but if all the complaints I see on this board about our RB's have any truth to them, I may be on the right track here.

I hope our guys are better then they played last year.
I hope all our new draft picks turnout to be fine players.

I EXPECT our OL will play well due to:

1) good draftees and FA's from last year now having a preseason together along with last years playing experience.
2) Free agents that have just come in helping to optimize the OL performance
3) Draftees that will offer us some depth and some superior new OL players

When the line is playing well, we will be able to judge what our running backs can really do. It is important that we hedge our previous bets on running backs in this draft.

It would have been ludicrous, as are so many of the negative posts about our current running backs, if we took one in the early rounds. Based on how the rest of the NFL teams drafted, RB's were not a hot commodity in the first two rounds!

Oh, by the way, I may have been a tad sarcastic in my initial post on this subject - LOL
In the long run, we took a RB who has a very similar game to Harris and Williams. A bigger back who'll run hard after one cut and who has shown that he can catch very well.

We don't know yet if he is as good, but he was a LOT cheaper... and Grier kept saying over and over, "We won't reach for a RB". If this guy is successful, it will settle whether this was the right approach.

The jury is out on whether that means he'd take ANY RB early, but it certainly didn't seem to bother him when the big 3-5 RBs came off the board.

I love how everybody says trust Flores and gier etc. they know what they are doing. I trust their moves blah blah

but they then say cut Bobby McCain.

McCain is a huge part of Flores defense. One of the most important because he gets the d all set up. One of the best communicators we had i the back end.

Guess what

flores loves McCain

He isn’t cutting him guys. Forget it
He is a captain and sets the defense up. I don’t care that they drafted his replacement. Maybe if the rookie balls out in camp. Yes it’s possible. But McCain is coming to camp and this most likely is his last year. Next year is a different story. He will be replaced.

He isn’t cutting him before or camp or even during camp unless this rookie safety is too good to sit.

He preferred McCain at free safety to mikah.

Grant will prob get cut which I will get hammered for but I think that is a big mistake. Let’s put waddle there or another rookie and watch them get hurt like Preston Williams his rookie year.
I don’t like grant as wideout but he is one of the best return guys in the league. That is a fact.

Wilson will probably get cut. That would be mistake too. Tua would excel with Wilson in 4 wide or 5 wide. Even Trent dilfer said give tua 4 or 5 wides that are fast and let him pick apart defense.

only guys I advocate cutting is the special teams safety and hurns.

I don’t imagine many will agree with my post

I love me some Holland. Did way before we drafted him. But McCain isn’t getting cut. He’s been underrated by this board for a while now. He’s not great. But he’s solid, smart, and a leader. I don’t see Flores getting rid of him until Holland is ready to be a full time dude.

I love me some Holland. Did way before we drafted him. But McCain isn’t getting cut. He’s been underrated by this board for a while now. He’s not great. But he’s solid, smart, and a leader. I don’t see Flores getting rid of him until Holland is ready to be a full time dude.
I love Holland too. I guess my point was people use the trust Flores Grier statement when they are doing something that those people agree with.

But if they are not a fan of something they do such as keeping McCain or grant or whatever that trust goes out the window. It’s cut this guy or that guy. Even if flo is that players biggest advocate

I just think it’s funny people say that about trusting Grier and Flores but it’s only when they are fans of the move they make .

I may have overstated my position, but if all the complaints I see on this board about our RB's have any truth to them, I may be on the right track here.

I hope our guys are better then they played last year.
I hope all our new draft picks turnout to be fine players.

I EXPECT our OL will play well due to:

1) good draftees and FA's from last year now having a preseason together along with last years playing experience.
2) Free agents that have just come in helping to optimize the OL performance
3) Draftees that will offer us some depth and some superior new OL players

When the line is playing well, we will be able to judge what our running backs can really do. It is important that we hedge our previous bets on running backs in this draft.

It would have been ludicrous, as are so many of the negative posts about our current running backs, if we took one in the early rounds. Based on how the rest of the NFL teams drafted, RB's were not a hot commodity in the first two rounds!

Oh, by the way, I may have been a tad sarcastic in my initial post on this subject - LOL
No problems.

I concur the Oline is the number one priority first to protect our investment in Tua and 2 nd get the running game going.

A veteran like a Frank Gore would be nice. Not sure if Gore has enough left in the tank now but last year he would have been good enough.

Are there any available free agents left that we should be considering (pro and college)?

We need a tackle, and the only relatively young tackle and starter material in free agency who is cheap is Jason Spriggs.
Eric Fisher is available, but I don't know if we have the dough. If we do it's a no brainer.

I loved when Frank Gore was on our team. He's my kind of football player. I've been a fan of Gore since his U of Miami days, he was a great college player. Flo's not bringing back any older players, he's going very young only.

We need a tackle, and the only relatively young tackle and starter material in free agency who is cheap is Jason Spriggs.
Eric Fisher is available, but I don't know if we have the dough. If we do it's a no brainer.
I believe the FO sees the oline as settled. Jackson, Kindley, Skura, Hunt, Eichenberg. Fluker and Davis provide veteran depth in case someone struggles or is injured

I not so sure. Remember at this time last year we had Howard, Brieda, Gaskin and Ahead. We also blew a pick on a Williams I believe who only played one game.
Gaskin is good enough when healthy but he has had to miss games the past 2 years with injuries. I thought Bried played well enough to stick plus we had a 5th rounder in him. He should have been here 2 years. IMO
Got completely destroyed whenever he had to pass protect. He was also a FA.

He wasn't good.

Got completely destroyed whenever he had to pass protect. He was also a FA.

He wasn't good.
He was a FA we drafted in the 5 th round.

What? Brieda?

We traded a 5th for him. We didn't draft him, and yes, he was a FA after last year.

Are we talking about Brieda, or am I confused?
Yes he is a FA was signed by SF as a FA and yes during last year's draft we gave SF a 5th round pick. So it's just my opinion but I consider him a draft pick also since we used a draft pick to aquire him during the draft.

Yes he is a FA was signed by SF as a FA and yes during last year's draft we gave SF a 5th round pick. So it's just my opinion but I consider him a draft pick also since we used a draft pick to aquire him during the draft.
One huge difference is that a draft pick would have been on a 4 year, 5th rd rookie contract, and several years younger.

Those are two totally different situations, IMO. Had that been the case, he could very well still be here.

That's probably it. Grier didn't draft a RB because he knows that he can snag a FA like Breita or Howard and those cats will ball out, not! Duke Johnson could be interesting, I loved him at the U of M but his pro career has been kind of not so fabulous. He was traded by Cleveland, who drafted him in the 3rd round, to Houston where athletes go to die, at least while Bill O'Brien was there. Duke is 27 with a lifetime 4.2 rushing average and he also can catch the ball very well. He's 5'9" but weighs 210 so he's not a smurf.

Based on this list who is more likely to cut? $ Amount represents the cap savings.

Benardrick McKinney - $7,187,500 - Are we trying to work out an extension
Bobby McCain - 5,659,600 - I don't see us cutting him.
Eric Rowe - 5,000,000 - See above
Clayton Fejedelem - $2,478,125 - Why is he still on the team. LOL!!
Albert Wilson - 2,850,000 - Allow him to compete
Jakeem Grant - $2,887,500 - Allow him to compete and just imagine having Grant and Waddle returning kicks.
Durham Smythe - $2,183,000 - Allow him to compete.

Back
Top Bottom