Cap saving for bowen retirement? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap saving for bowen retirement?

Amars said:
what the numbers we might be looking at
This is a very good question. We would save $745,000 if we cut or traded him. HOWEVER, since he is retiring, I think it is possible that we would save everything like we did with Ricky last summer. If that is the case, we would save $1.7 million.

Nublar7 said:
This is a very good question. We would save $745,000 if we cut or traded him. HOWEVER, since he is retiring, I think it is possible that we would save everything like we did with Ricky last summer. If that is the case, we would save $1.7 million.
WOW! That would be great if that turns out to be the case. We can benefit a lot if we can get that $1.7 million.

Nublar7 said:

We saved everythind on Ricky because Miami would of saved everything on Ricky if he were cut.

Nublar7 said:

I dont think you can compare Ricky and Timbo's situations. Ricky's salary was all BASE w/ no remaining uncharged signing bonus. That isnt the case with Timbo.
Now if they wanted, the Phins could ask Tim to return the uncharged portion of his signing bonus (ala Barry Sanders) so that money wouldnt be counted against our cap, but given the years of service Timbo has provided and the fact that his retirement is because of injury, I seriously doubt that will happen.

The question is....how much (if any) of the uncharged portion of Timbo's signing bonus would accelerate into this year's cap. And also, next year's cap? My guess would be that since its after June 1, only this year's prorated portion would apply, meaning that overall we would clear Timbo's base salary ($765,000) from our 2005 cap. Next year we would have to eat the remaining $1.8Million.
Nothing to back this up though....its only a guess. Maybe Merman can chime in on this one.

yankeehillbilly said:
I dont think you can compare Ricky and Timbo's situations. Ricky's salary was all BASE w/ no remaining uncharged signing bonus. That isnt the case with Timbo.
Now if they wanted, the Phins could ask Tim to return the uncharged portion of his signing bonus (ala Barry Sanders) so that money wouldnt be counted against our cap, but given the years of service Timbo has provided and the fact that his retirement is because of injury, I seriously doubt that will happen.

The question is....how much (if any) of the uncharged portion of Timbo's signing bonus would accelerate into this year's cap. And also, next year's cap? My guess would be that since its after June 1, only this year's prorated portion would apply, meaning that overall we would clear Timbo's base salary ($765,000) from our 2005 cap. Next year we would have to eat the remaining $1.8Million.
Nothing to back this up though....its only a guess. Maybe Merman can chime in on this one.

Thereotically could we not ask for the money back. Then Wayne H. go out and give him the money, outside of the NFL? He gets paid still, and we pay him, but it doesn't count on the cap. Does this violate any rules?

If there is a signing bonus, then ALL of that jumps right into our cap now, so depending on that we could actually lose cap. If there are only base salaries, then we get back what he was to make this year and each following year, it does not all get escalated into one big cap savings this season as far as I know.

MiamiDolfans said:
Thereotically could we not ask for the money back. Then Wayne H. go out and give him the money, outside of the NFL? He gets paid still, and we pay him, but it doesn't count on the cap. Does this violate any rules?

Yes, it does. It would be an attempt to circumvent the salary cap and would probably cost the Phins future draft picks and fines. The League watches for improprieties in payments to players. A number of years ago Wayne gave Marino a stock tip on which Dan acted upon and made a sizeable amount of money. The league investigated to try to determine if the tip constitued a form of payment to Marino that went unreported. In the end the league found that Dan stood a chance of losing his investment in the stock so the tip wasn't deemed to be a "payment", but it goes to show that they do watch such things very carefully.

Schleprock said:
If there is a signing bonus, then ALL of that jumps right into our cap now, so depending on that we could actually lose cap. If there are only base salaries, then we get back what he was to make this year and each following year, it does not all get escalated into one big cap savings this season as far as I know.

There is something like 2.7million in uncharged bonus money remaining from Bowen's contract, including this year.

Were saving money no matter how much it is(Hopefully the 1.7 million though)

wazzy said:
Were saving money no matter how much it is(Hopefully the 1.7 million though)
obviously you jus completely overlooked...or flat out didn't feel like accepting my answer. Do you think I typed it for my health? Hell, even if you want a dumbed down version of it...fire up Madden 2005, make a large contract extension for Jerry Rice. When he retires after year one, look at your cap ;) Madden isn't the gold standard for cap rules, but they got half of them right, but none of them are completely made up.

My question is... Is retirement treated as a trade, or a release. If treated as a trade then all the uncharged money (2.7mil) would accelerate into this years cap. If treated as a release, then since its after June 1, this year proration of the signing bonus would apply (910K) and the remainder (1.8mil) would count against next years cap.

EDIT: OK, I must have been having a brain fart. It really doesnt matter how retirement is treated. If treated as a trade then the Dolphins would just release Bowens and let him retire afterwards. That way they can defer 1.8mil of the cap hit until next year.

Tim Bowens is like the giving tree. I love the guy.

We should give TimBo a retirement gift, not be happy we can save his money that he's leaving. Not only is he the only successful draft pick we had in the 1990s, but almost every good defense is centered around a run-stuffing DT. He filled that gap like few other in his prime. It's a shame he's got to end it at 32.

Back
Top Bottom