Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans

Not quite. Most (all?) teams keep a reserve in case they sign someone after season start - say, $5-8mm. Then signing guys like Sanders/Baker. I'm saying $10mm. One avg FA and they're done. That said, there are games to play in designing contracts.
If Miami signs Karras and a backup quarterback, there's not much left. Maybe in the neighborhood of $8-10 million.

The Dolphins will need to be creative.

If Miami signs Karras and a backup quarterback, there's not much left. Maybe in the neighborhood of $8-10 million.

The Dolphins will need to be creative.
One reason I'm a bit skeptical when someone says we are in a better situation than 20 some other teams, in the short term.

Some (not all) other teams have players to cut that free up substantial space, or players with big cap numbers, that can be restructured.

We don't have many options for manipulation.

I think, in the long run, we are better off though. Those kind of manipulations and cuts all have consequences down the line.

One reason I'm a bit skeptical when someone says we are in a better situation than 20 some other teams, in the short term.

Some (not all) other teams have players to cut that free up substantial space, or players with big cap numbers, that can be restructured.

I think, in the long run, we are better off though. Those kind of manipulations and cuts all have consequences down the line.

Yup. I think what they mean is Miami has some cap space available without cutting needed players.

Miami will have to do most of their damage in the draft. But a couple of smart adds in free agency will help.

Grier and Flores killed in last year in free agency.

we have ~$13M in space available according to my rudimentary calculations. that's with cutting Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Durham Smythe and Clayton F.

we would then need to sign a WR, RB, QB2, Karras and a punter (for reference, we paid Haack $2M+ last year). would Godchaux come back on a team-friendly deal? maybe we would rather have a minimum-salary rotational guy there anyway.

a lot of teams will be in similar or worse situations with the cap cratering, and I'm sure we will see a lot of restructures and one-year deals (so players can cash in next year). hopefully there are some surprising cuts and we sign some studs to one-year deals or longterm bargains (could definitely see a solid RB on a one-year deal).

we have ~$13M in space available according to my rudimentary calculations. that's with cutting Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Durham Smythe and Clayton F.

we would then need to sign a WR, RB, QB2, Karras and a punter (for reference, we paid Haack $2M+ last year). would Godchaux come back on a team-friendly deal? maybe we would rather have a minimum-salary rotational guy there anyway.

a lot of teams will be in similar or worse situations with the cap cratering, and I'm sure we will see a lot of restructures and one-year deals (so players can cash in next year). hopefully there are some surprising cuts and we sign some studs to one-year deals or longterm bargains (could definitely see a solid RB on a one-year deal).
Can you explain your rudimentary calculations?

I'm not seeing anywhere near that low of a number as a starting point.

Makes me think free agent salaries will be a nice little lower than expected.

I think the great players will get paid, but there should be bargains aplenty.

It doesn't seem likely Miami will cut Durham Smythe. But if Miami, fancies Pitts, the TE from Florida, early in the draft; I can see them releasing him.

With that being said, if Miami does trade down from #3. Pitts, I'd think becomes a viable option, especially if Miami stays in the top 10.

Smythe played an unexpected role last season, where they actually designed some plays for him. I'd hate to see him get cut. But would understand.

Can you explain your rudimentary calculations?

I'm not seeing anywhere near that low of a number as a starting point.

im just using the salaries from Over the Cap, including the rookie pool and using the $180M cap

im just using the salaries from Over the Cap, including the rookie pool and using the $180M cap
Brother there is a difference in total cap space available between Over the Cap and Spotrac. Over the cap is lower and accounting for the center we signed. Just FYI.

Brother there is a difference in total cap space available between Over the Cap and Spotrac. Over the cap is lower and accounting for the center we signed. Just FYI.
Spotrac always seems to lag behind. It took them forever to update the opt out players correctly last year.

On the other hand, OTC isn't all that clear for someone first venturing into the depths of capology.......lol

so, if we have the $28M, I'm all for going after the Saints' safety Marcus Williams and cutting McCain (if needed).

I think this year you may see more of the top players get the franchise tag. With the lower cap a player may just want to stay where he is and wait until next year to actual find his next home. It may save a lot of guys from having to move teams twice in a two year span. I have already seen where the Broncos are expected to tag Simmons. Also seen several of the top WR will be tagged as well.

Back
Top Bottom