Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans

I would not cut Hurns.

He is better then Ford,Bowden and the other outcasts at WR we have.

I would try and trade Jessie Davis for a pick.(maybe Seahawks?)

I dont think Albert Wilson is worth that price tag and I don't think Grant is either.

Fedj needs to be gone, I think Smythe is expendable if needed. That’s $5M right there.

Maybe Grant and Wilson, that’s another $5M.

$10M can be freed up just like that.

There is a real possibility that we trade X also if he holds out for a bigger deal. That saves about $9M.

Many teams could be hindered by the cap this year. There will be a lot of names out there that normally wouldn't be. This year will be a buyers market. There will only be a handful of big free agent contracts because the money just isn't available. Miami is in a good situation, as it stands right now they will have about $25m (they have about $35m, but need to keep $10m for rookie contracts). They have the ability to create another $20m or so with out a HUGE impact to the team outside of Bobby McCain.

Last edited:
I posted in another thread but i believe we have a higher dead cap hit than cap savings by cutting hurns. even if we dessignate him June 1st, we're still in the negative with Hurns by 100K in 2021. the only way we legit replace Hurns and its cap beneficial is if we sign a guy for 2.2 million to replace him. so pretty much a rookie

Here ya go again

Come on give us some numbers or some links... I guess i will...

www.spotrac.com

Miami Dolphins 2021 Salary Cap

A real-time breakdown of the Miami Dolphins 2021 salary cap, including salaries, bonuses, reserve lists, dead cap, cap space and more.
www.spotrac.com

First lets get the negative cap numbers out of the way...
Signed FA's Rookie Contract
Byron Jones... -12.3 mil Tua................. -17.9 mil
Flowers.......... -975K Wilkens.......... -4.9 mil
Lawson......... -1.3 mil Jackson.......... - 8 mil
Hurns............ -500k Igbo................ - 6.5mil
Hunt..............-1.7 mil
Kwon.............-900k

Of course we will look silly to cut any of the rookie contract guys that are in the negative.
Jones, Flowers, and Lawson we could not get their replacement for their salary minus the loss.
Replacing Hurns with a rookie, we could probably afford to eat his salary.
So possible Hurns is only bye bye in this group if we double up on WR in draft

No hit to cut all gain
Ogbah............+7.5 mil Jones (DT)..........780K
Bonds (CB).....850K Merritt ............780K
Eguovan..........850k myarick...............780K
Tom (C)...........850k Neto.....................780K
Bowden..........820K Scarlett (RB)........780K
Ahmad............780k Coe (DE)................660K
Gauthier (C)....780K Cole (S)..................660K
Davis (CB)........660K

We'd be crazy as hell to cut Ogbah, he needs to be extended if anything. Most of the other names will not be on the active roster anyways and will prob be flip flopped in the offseason or after the draft. You'll be pretty much replacing them for a player at their level, Egua, Bowden, Jones all have some potential to still see field. Pretty much you sign a safety for 5 million, you cut Cole, and so on.
Most of the names you dont know, are gone from this group anyways, no rush to cut to free up 600-800K

Non-Starter savings
Al Wilson......2.8 mil Dieter............500K
Grant............2.8 mil SMythe..........900K
J Davis...........2.5 mil AVG..................800K
Sieler............1.75 mil Laird................850K
Fej.................1.4 mil Strowbridge....600K
Shehan.........100K Ledbetter.........850K
Bran Jones.....300K Perry.................750K

If we want to go big time WR in FA then i think you have to imagine that we free up 2.8 or 5.6 mil by releasing one or both of the WR's. I Some of these players are too valuable special teams wise i think to outright replace.
From this list i would say Wilson and/or Grant, Post-draft i could see potential Laird or Deiter gone, even though no major rush i dont feel to start cutting reserves that dont even free up a million

Special Teams savings...
Sanders........920K
Ferguson......680K

Sanders needs to be extended ASAP, too bad the NFL is 100% business, maybe we could convince him to take a discount if we brought back his partner Haack. be nice to save money on Kicker to go towards keeping punter. so noway we save anything here

Starters..(not listed above)
Van Noy......9.8 mil DVP...........2.8 mil
Howard.......6.8 mil Gesicki......1.4
McCain........5.8 mil Kindley.......400K
Rowe...........5mil Gaskins....830k
Bake............900k Pres Williams..800k

Howard is going to be asking for a restructure and Bake is prob gobba be looking for an extension. Barring a X trade if he's too disgruntled with his contract or negotiations , Rowe might be the only one i see being gone from this group. Flo loves him some McCain. Van Noy would allow us the greatest cap flexibility if cut but that would be insane.

So there, there is some more figures for yall to help you ponder the decisions.

as far as creating space. I thought it was an article i found by Kyle Crabbs, but cant relocate, so might not have been him. As far as restructuring contracts this year to free up space, it looks like there is next to nothing available. maybe a couple million if we restructure like everyone. No single player that it looks like we could roll signing bonus into roster bonuses or whatever it is they goes into it.

The only way to free up any real money is by cutting a starter on defense which wouldnt make a whole lot of sense. Van Noy, Ogbah, Howard, McCain, and Rowe. I dont think Brandon Jones has shown enough to take the spot from either McCain or Rowe, so unless the FO has anything in mind, i think we roll with pretty much what cap we have available.

We could potentially cut some lower end guys or S/T guys to free up approx a mil here and there, but we'd just be replacing them with another low end FA that made a similiar contract, and one we'd all be listing as a "Cut this guy to free up cap room next year"

Flo loves McCain so if we were to need to free up cap space on the back end to extend Sanders, Bake, Gesicki, then i see Rowe being the odd man out, and potentially Grant and/or Wilson, to free up 7.6 Mil. With Bake and Gesicki, you have a couple options, do you try to extend them now or wait. Bake come off his best year, which you hope isnt an anommoly , and Gesicki's arrow keeps pointing up, if you try to extend then you have even less to spend on FA's. If you wait it out, then potentially both will be more expensive next year, you just have to hope the cap offsets it. Sanders value probably wont change much with him being a kicker, as far as if we sign him today or in 2022

So yeah unless we want to create holes that we dont know if we can improve on the position then i dont see us having much ability to create cap room. The question is going to be, do we lock down 2 or 3 of our home grown guys that it would be nice to keep in the building this offseason while filling the rest of the roster with rookies, maybe a mid level FA, and some other fillers that will be cut.

Or do we do something like swing for the fences and cut Rowe and McCain, lock up say a Justin Simmons and put Brandon Jones beside him, which in case gives you a major upgrade at one safety spot and an unknown at another spot.

Cut Grant/Wilson to get you into maybe Curtis Samuels money range.

Prob best bet of action would be signing one of hte 3, bake, gesicki, sanders. getting good fa, one mid level FA, for what kind of cap space we have

Cap space could hinder every team's off season plans.​

That will work to the advantage of good teams

yup its the Warriors, Lakers game plan in NBA with Vets. Some of the vets that want to ring chase, if they knew they werent going to make **** anyways cause of cap number this year. sign a one year deal just make a little less, try to stack up on a good team, win your ring, then hit FA next year when the cap increases

I'm not really sure I agree, we are not nearly in as bad of shape as many other teams in the league this season. And you could argue that salary cap reduction is hindering most teams' off-season free agent signings.

We are still in a position to sign some decent free agents, especially if market prices are lower and guys are settling for short 1-2 year deals to cash in again when the cap goes up.

Some of these other teams are scrambling and releasing players just to get under the cap before even thinking about signing free agents

yup its the Warriors, Lakers game plan in NBA with Vets. Some of the vets that want to ring chase, if they knew they werent going to make **** anyways cause of cap number this year. sign a one year deal just make a little less, try to stack up on a good team, win your ring, then hit FA next year when the cap increases
lol it’s pretty sad that the Lakers can’t really win a title without trading or signing top 5 players

Back
Top Bottom