Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans

Cut Grant, Hurns, and Wilson. They are all over priced and need to be upgraded. I don't even care about the money saved by cutting them. That's just an added benefit.

Cut Grant, Hurns, and Wilson. They are all over priced and need to be upgraded. I don't even care about the money saved by cutting them. That's just an added benefit.
Just randomly cut players before camp even opens? Never mind worrying about whether our new players actually play well or get through camp injury free?

Why would you do that?

Smythe is this team's starting TE and h-back. Hes not going anywhere.
Smythe is nothing special and very easily replaced with another starting h-back and TE.

Especially if we draft Pitts like a lot of people want.

Last edited:
Just randomly cut players before camp even opens? Never mind worrying about whether our new players actually play well or get through camp injury free?

Why would you do that?
Because they are not playing up to the level of their contract. You can replace all three of those guys with street free agents or rookie draft picks and get an upgrade in level of play or a reduction on the salary cap or possibly both. Those three guys are just plain not good enough and should be replaced. Cut the dead weight. It’s obvious.

Smythe is nothing special and very easily replaced with another starting h-back and TE.

Especially if we draft Pitts like a lot of people want.

Well they have drafted Gesicki and Cox and traded for Shaheen. Out of that bunch Smythe turned out to be the most reliable all around player. Maybe hes not something special but he hasn't been so easily replaced.

Pitts looks like an incredible player and also looks like he spent about as much time with his hand in the dirt as Gesicki. Believe it or not teams still do need TEs that can block and until the Phins find someone better Smythe is going to have a place on this team.

Well they have drafted Gesicki and Cox and traded for Shaheen. Out of that bunch Smythe turned out to be the most reliable all around player. Maybe hes not something special but he hasn't been so easily replaced.

Pitts looks like an incredible player and also looks like he spent about as much time with his hand in the dirt as Gesicki. Believe it or not teams still do need TEs that can block and until the Phins find someone better Smythe is going to have a place on this team.

Pitts is an adequate blocker. He is not special as a blocker I will agree, but it he is good enough. He's not like Gesiki was coming out. We keep hearing how blocking is his weakness, but that's because his pass catching is so great its hard to find any weaknesses there.

Because they are not playing up to the level of their contract. You can replace all three of those guys with street free agents or rookie draft picks and get an upgrade in level of play or a reduction on the salary cap or possibly both. Those three guys are just plain not good enough and should be replaced. Cut the dead weight. It’s obvious.
You think that you could cut these guys, sign players for less... and get an upgrade?!!

Where can I find these magic beans?

Absolutely correct... Smythe fills the block first role on our team... and he isn't a bad red-zone target either.

we carried 4 TE's last year. If we draft pitts and carry 4 TE's then its Myrick that will need to be gone. The cap savings difference between Smythe and Myrick is 120K.. we have zero clue what kind of offense we are going to run, and even if we did, we could be way off on how its going to be used. Everyone said Chan Gailey got no usage out of TE's yet 11 out of the teams 24 passing touchdowns were to TE's.

Chandler Cox was only on the field 10% of the snaps last season, while Smythe was on the field close to 50%. with Wilkins being used some as goalline leadback, if we do draft TE, i see zero reason why Smythe can't just line up as an inline TE beside Pitts (assuming he was drafted) and then shift. Smythe is cheap on rookie contract and productive, zero reason to justify cutting him to free up money.

Just cut cox if necessary, even thought the savings wont be as much and carry 4 TEs

You think that you could cut these guys, sign players for less... and get an upgrade?!!

Where can I find these magic beans?
Read what I said. I said you will either get an upgrade in talent or a savings in salary or possibly both. You don't believe that's possible? Any rookie drafted after the second round will earn less than Grant, Hurns, or Wilson.

I don't think we are in a bad spot at all with cap space. That said, don't expect us to go on a free agent spending frenzy like we did last year. We'll probably look to make one or two splashy signings and a few smaller ones.

Maybe. There's a reason these guys stick around on EVERY team

People have to remember Albert Wilson and Allen Hurns are back on the books due to their opt-out last season. You get both guys back this season in the WR corp and because their contracts were pushed down the road a year, they offer little to no cap relief if cut.

Perhaps restructure Grant instead of letting him go. Same with Fejedelem who came up big for us in fake punts and trick plays but is it worth having him vs. 2.4M in cap relief if we cut him. We got a couple of high price veterans in Van Noy and Byron Jones so unless we get a good deal in FA it wouldn't be worth it to break the bank this year. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/

Back
Top Bottom