Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap space could hinder the Miami Dolphins off season plans

Read what I said. I said you will either get an upgrade in talent or a savings in salary or possibly both. You don't believe that's possible? Any rookie drafted after the second round will earn less than Grant, Hurns, or Wilson.
I don't know how many times we have to tell you this... but Hurns and Wilson don't make much. As far as NFL salaries go, both are seriously underpaid, and most importantly... neither costs us a dime to bring to camp. Neither are due any sort of roster bonus that would force us to make a decision about them until opening day. Cutting these players not only doesn't make any sense, it would be a foolish waste of assets.

Bring these two to camp and see what we have, and whether they'll have any trade value once the preseason starts... if they fail to produce in camp, and in the preseason, THEN we could cut them.

Again, Grant is another story entirely; we've seen what he can do... nothing, and he does nothing while healthy.

One reason I'm a bit skeptical when someone says we are in a better situation than 20 some other teams, in the short term.

Some (not all) other teams have players to cut that free up substantial space, or players with big cap numbers, that can be restructured.

We don't have many options for manipulation.

I think, in the long run, we are better off though. Those kind of manipulations and cuts all have consequences down the line.

I was just going that route as well. The problem is the situation, not the number. We have a lot of players that we can't afford cutting. And if we cut certain players we are not going to have the immediate relief we think we will. Good post Mach.

I was just going that route as well. The problem is the situation, not the number. We have a lot of players that we can't afford cutting. And if we cut certain players we are not going to have the immediate relief we think we will. Good post Mach.
All of the contracts that we handed out last year (except Jones) were designed to be two years/guaranteed contracts. All of those signings can be jettisoned NEXT year with close to zero real cost.

But the "I want it right now" squad is here to make a run for the Super Bowl in Tua's sophomore season.

I'm sorry, but that isn't rational. They are trying to shave 400K here and 500K there, and hope it all adds up to a birthday pony.

All of the contracts that we handed out last year (except Jones) were designed to be two years/guaranteed contracts. All of those signings can be jettisoned NEXT year with close to zero real cost.

But the "I want it right now" squad is here to make a run for the Super Bowl in Tua's sophomore season.

I'm sorry, but that isn't rational. They are trying to shave 400K here and 500K there, and hope it all adds up to a birthday pony.

Fever by design yea, but the want it now squad after a 10 win season is becoming a factor for the people discussing cap cuts LOL. But what if these players play really good and now we want them resigned lol.

Next year...

The cap is projected to rise dramatically, possibly as much as $45M in one year...

Add to this Van Noy 10.9M, Flowers 10M, Lawson 9M, and McCain 7M, and you are placing us in the top two or three teams in the league in salary space, but this means that we need replacements for Lawson, Van Noy, Flowers, and McCain... and we probably need them out of this year's draft, so we don't have to pay for them out of 2022's money.

How do we accomplish this...
1) We draft a Tackle this year and move Hunt inside where he'll pair with Kinsley (Flowers replaced).
2) We know just how badly we need a edge star on this team. I like Rousseau early, some prefer others, but finding an edge in this year's draft will allow us to replace these two aging and mildly overpaid players.
3) Another young safety in this draft would signal an end to Rowe/McCain in 2022. Perhaps a Hamsah Nasirildeen type in the third/forth.

Yes we need a new WR and a young RB, but we have 5 picks in the first two days of the draft, and the above starting players will likely be cut at the end of NEXT year... To be honest, the average draft analyst around here never looks at the future; they are only interested in right now, right now, right now... and that's NOT how you build a team.

Fever by design yea, but the want it now squad after a 10 win season is becoming a factor for the people discussing cap cuts LOL. But what if these players play really good and now we want them resigned lol.
They drive me crazy... the EXACT same posters would scream and cry if we cut these guys and they played well elsewhere.

"Stupid Grier," they will shout, "We should have traded that guy for two second round picks and a pony to be named later!"

They drive me crazy... the EXACT same posters would scream and cry if we cut these guys and they played well elsewhere.

"Stupid Grier," they will shout, "We should have traded that guy for two second round picks and a pony to be named later!"
Hindsight 20/20, and that is how it is in the nfl. We resign a player today, they are the greatest thing but when season starts they suck the moment they are in a downtrend.

Just a quick note on the cap:

Remember: By rule, only the top 51 contracts count against the cap, and currently... (after the rookies are signed at their prescribed rates) The minimum salary a player would earn to be in our top 51 is 780K.

This number is important for calculating player's impact on our cap. If we were to cut a player like Clayton Fejedelem (a popular choice), we would remove his 2,250,000 salary would immediately replace it with a MINIMUM of a 780K salary. So, the REAL amount of cap that we would gain by cutting this valuable special teams player is actually no more than 1,470,000... and it could be even less if we signed a veteran who makes more than minimum salary.

Chump change.

Hurns is another popular choice for release... and another player who just doesn't make enough money to chase. He is due 1,875,000 in salary and has some sort of 600K (37 K per game, if active) bonus on top of that... Trouble is 1,250,000 of his salary is already guaranteed... Again... chump change. We could avoid the 600 rostering bonus and 1.8M salary, but would immediately eat the 1.2M guarantee.

So... Stop including these players in your marathon-like plans to generate a bunch of cap money so you can go shopping! These guys just don't make enough to make a difference. Learn how these contract work and the actual cap rules before you give us your 57 step plan to buy yourself a new pony.

Just a quick note on the cap:

Remember: By rule, only the top 51 contracts count against the cap, and currently... (after the rookies are signed at their prescribed rates) The minimum salary a player would earn to be in our top 51 is 780K.

This number is important for calculating player's impact on our cap. If we were to cut a player like Clayton Fejedelem (a popular choice), we would remove his 2,250,000 salary would immediately replace it with a MINIMUM of a 780K salary. So, the REAL amount of cap that we would gain by cutting this valuable special teams player is actually no more than 1,470,000... and it could be even less if we signed a veteran who makes more than minimum salary.

Chump change.

Hurns is another popular choice for release... and another player who just doesn't make enough money to chase. He is due 1,875,000 in salary and has some sort of 600K (37 K per game, if active) bonus on top of that... Trouble is 1,250,000 of his salary is already guaranteed... Again... chump change. We could avoid the 600 rostering bonus and 1.8M salary, but would immediately eat the 1.2M guarantee.

So... Stop including these players in your marathon-like plans to generate a bunch of cap money so you can go shopping! These guys just don't make enough to make a difference. Learn how these contract work and the actual cap rules before you give us your 57 step plan to buy yourself a new pony.
That is a good point, but a little overstated, IMO. Actual gain, particularly when you factor in dead money, is not the same as the contract number.

Yes, the cap gain for Hurns is minimal, but we have more guys under contract tham we can roster already, and thats before the draft or any possible FA adds.

In that case, unless he comes to camp and blows everybody away, his days are numbered regardless.

The case for Feh...... is a little stronger, but again, 53 spots with FAs and rookies coming in.

I guess what I'm saying is, many of these guys wii be gone, even if we had a surplus of cap room.

When I think about cuts, I try to look at it in a more comprehensive light. I certainly hope our FO does as well.

Back
Top Bottom