Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged)

makes me think our head coach will be either Little Schotty or Tomlin. Both are good young coaches, but have little experience. have a vet DC around to help out.

You have to think that they already mentioned that they'd like to keep Capers in the initial interviews. Chances are this might have been one of things Martz didnt agree with.

I actually think hanging onto Capers increases the chances that it'll be a younger coach. In addition to the defensive stability, Capers' experience in the league and his time as a HC in particular should really help shorten the learning curve for a young guy like BS or MT.

Agreed. IMO, an attacking defense like ours would be a bad match for a pass happy offense like Martz's. After a few "3 and outs" the "D" is going to be exhausted. How many times did we see that last year? Our defense put up a valiant effort for most of a game and then collapsed after getting little or no help from the offense. I don't want the offense to be boring, but keeping the defense fresh makes their style that much more effective.

Our new HC is going to have his hands full fixing our offense, and dealing with free agency and the draft, so having a stable defense in place gives him a better chance to succeed.

Yes!! Great news. I was scared were going to lose him...

Also, he's going to be the highest paid assistant in the NFL:

Capers' new deal is for three years and an estimated $8.1 million, team sources confirmed. His salary in 2007 will be $2.6 million, equal to that of Washington Redskins assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams, but Capers will get raises of at least $100,000 per year in 2008 and 2009.

This is great news- best news I've had in quite some time. It's now rational to assume that the new head coach will be an offensive-minded guy and that's exactly the kind of emphasis our team needs. Not to mention that Capers is a defensive genius and a great asset to the franchise. WH is batting 1000, so far.

I think that was a good idea. Now if we acquire an inexperience head coach, he will have some experience coaches around him. We still have to find an answer for the offensive coach as well when we get a head coach. I dont know if Saban influence Mike Mularkey to coach poorly last year, but I dont think he is the right fit. We need a OC like Linehan who will take advantage of Culpepper big arm and the speed of our receivers and throw deep down field.

The Capers extension would also fit with Gailey getting the job too, although i'm guessing that isnt good news for most people :)

The Capers extension would also fit with Gailey getting the job too, although i'm guessing that isnt good news for most people :)

I wouldnt mind Gailey as HC. He runs a conservative offense and after the wild play calling Mularkey called, a conservative approach wouldnt be too bad, especially with Ronnie and Ricky in the backfield.

Good. I'm glad Capers is staying. If he worth being the highest paid assistant in football? Maybe. I'm interested in seeing how much the pass defense will improve now that "secondary guru" Nick Saban is out. Maybe they'll actually start playing the ball.

How much he gets paid doesn't mean much. But I do have to question something.
With no head coach yet, why are they signing a coordinator when they can hire a coach to come in and then said coach can hire his own coordinator? Am I wrong here?
Cant a coach hire his own staff??

They already have thier HC it is either Cameron and they are waiting for him to finish the playoffs, or it is Gailey and he doesn't want to be announced as HC until recruiting for GT is finished.

It is the only logical explanation.

This is great news and this tells me Miami is going to hire an offensive minded coach and keeping Capers means Miami will will have a top 10 defense again next year.

I don't think that necessarily means we will get an offensive genuiess. We will have Ricky back and our Wr's other than Marty is inconsistant to say the least. If we want to win now to hell witrh a new offense with 1,000 plays. Give the ball to the R@R express and sure up our secondary to make our D dominant again with someone as capable as Capers leading us and lets make a SB run.

Does the Rams have a offensive coordinator that we can steal from. And reaquire Linehans offense.

Back
Top Bottom