Caprenter, Allen have been on similar career tracks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Caprenter, Allen have been on similar career tracks

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
DAVIE — When newly signed Bobby Carpenter walked into the Miami Dolphins facility on Monday morning, one of the first players who greeted him was Jason Allen.

This was entirely fitting, given the roller coaster of emotions those two defenders have experienced over the course of their hotly debated NFL careers.

Taken two picks apart in the first round of the 2006 draft – Allen went 16th to Nick Saban's Dolphins, Carpenter went 18th to Bill Parcells' Dallas Cowboys — neither has lived up to the lofty expectations that typically accompany such investments.

In many circles, they were dismissed with those same two painful words: draft bust.

Text alerts: Get Breaking Sports news on your phone

"You know what's funny?" Carpenter said. "We actually went on a couple of [pre-draft] visits together. I hadn't talked to him since '07, when we played each other. I hardly even recognized him, but he's a nice guy. I'm glad he's here."

Not only is Allen still here. He has reclaimed a starting cornerback job for Sunday's season opener at Buffalo, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano confirmed.

Allen, who will start ahead of struggling second-year corner Sean Smith, has been handed a shot at career redemption, same as Carpenter, now on his third team in five seasons.

"The NFL is a whirlwind," Carpenter said. "You always have to be ready for what it's going to throw at you."

An inside linebacker from Ohio State, Carpenter made just three starts over a four-year stint with the Cowboys. Like Allen, he was a standout on special teams, but the rabid fan base wanted more.

Always more.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-main-0907-20100906,0,7108880.story

Back
Top Bottom