Cardinals Lacking Unanimity On Decision With Top Pick, Per Peter King | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cardinals Lacking Unanimity On Decision With Top Pick, Per Peter King

tbh, Arizona could pass on Murray and still draft a QB at 33 thought I doubt they do that. That's the good thing about having the first pick in every round.

moving up from 13 would cost us our 1st round picks in 2020 and 2021 plus at least another couple of picks. Doesn't leave much to build around Murray and you better hope he doesn't quit in 3 years and go play baseball

That’s on Grier to make it work. Gotta improvise. If you lose draft picks for the next few years, supplement it with free agents. Sign veteran OL to go along with the other OL they’ll probably draft and protect your young QB. The Dolphins will have plenty cap space available. It’s harder of course, but it can be done.

As for the draft, a competent GM can find value in any round. I doubt they’ll shy away from an opportunity to grab him if they can, draft picks be damned.

Sounds like the plan AZ had has been impacted by ownership. Good ownership is the greatest competitive advantage in sports.

You have to figure there is a reason that got Kingsbury as a HC. Murray fits the offense that he will run. I would be shocked if they do not take Kyler.

Doesn’t matter either way. If the Cards don’t take him I’m betting he doesn’t get past the Raiders.

To me it just proves even further that NFL teams draft quarterbacks without any conviction on 'em in the first place. All the stuff you hear out of teams about "believing in our guy" while he struggles or is mediocre for 3 or 5 or 7 years is complete garbage. You can't believe that stuff.

If you trade up for a quarterback to select him with the 10th pick in the draft, watch him start 13 games as a rookie on a bad football team and bail after that - you didn't have any conviction on him in the first place. So why'd you trade up for him? I mean they watched the offense the first 3 games with Sam Bradford and knew they weren't any good before switching to Rosen. You look like an idiot.

I'd tell him he either drafts the best player in the draft with the 1st pick, trades down and acquires more picks - or he's fired.

I think the GM should have been fired already. I have mixed emotions about how much to penalize him specifically for the Rosen situation. On one hand, I think they drafted Rosen a little early. It seemed very obvious to me that Rosen needed a good situation - that he wasn't the type of QB who could overcome and drag his team up. His struggles were predictable, and I think it was a mistake to even play him in 2018. On the other, QB's are so valuable that paying a little extra for one is defensible, and the type of QB you can get at #1 overall is different than what you can get at #10 (most of the time anyway). If they viewed Rosen as someone good enough to win with but not the type you'll win because of, upgrading the most important position makes sense to me. But, again, they really shouldn't have played Rosen. His trade value would be higher - at least a mid-to-late 1st.

Keim's track record should have been enough to fire him already. Any GM that builds a terrible team should lose his job. When securing the QB of the future, I think there's a balance between commitment and agility.

The DL players in this draft will be a much safer long term decision at #1 than Murray. Arizona will be a better team keeping Rosen and drafting DL this year. The idea that there is uncertainty and ownership meddling is just CYA for all involved.

It's all very weird. Arizona recently put out a promo video that contained zero Rosen highlights (bad as he was, there were some). But, if Murray is the pick (as I think he should be), there's no reason to be secretive about it. They should be shopping Rosen now.

...and all of a sudden...their SECOND video comes out featuring the road game schedule...and Rosen *IS* featured in the highlights.

Lotsa smoke here.

If I'm AZ and I don't take Murray...I probably just take Bosa and be done with it.

I think they are trying to get some dumb GM (Dolphins Perhaps?) to trade two farms for #1. I really don't want to see Miami to give away all the capital to draft a player with so many question marks?

I think they are trying to get some dumb GM (Dolphins Perhaps?) to trade two farms for #1. I really don't want to see Miami to give away all the capital to draft a player with so many question marks?

Them looking absolutely confused and indecisive isn’t exactly helping their leverage.

If they wanted to get a team to trade the farm for #1, they could do so without smoke and mirrors.

My take is:

If you carefully read the following -- this "story" seems more sensationalism than factual reporting:

I don’t believe there is unanimity inside the Cardinals building today either to take Murray, trade down for a passel of picks to a Murray-loving team, or to sit at one and take an impact player for the defense like edge-rusher Nick Bosa. Then again, if GM Steve Keim and Kingsbury both want Murray, that’s going to be the pick. --Peter King

First, "I don't believe..." is really soft and nothing more than personal opinion. Based on any number of potential inferences, anyone can say that.

Second, " Then again, if..." is akin to taking both sides of the possible outcome at the same time.

In other words -- a "story" seemingly contrived out of thin air.

Them looking absolutely confused and indecisive isn’t exactly helping their leverage.

If they wanted to get a team to trade the farm for #1, they could do so without smoke and mirrors.

No, I get it. You're not getting a good haul unless people think you're getting a QB. I hadn't thought of that angle. But I don't think that's what's happening. I think they're just incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom