carey dangerously close to making the list... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

carey dangerously close to making the list...

thecoordinator

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
i know it is still considered too early to call vernon carey a bust, but i think he is dangerously close to making our infamous list of o line draft busts. if you think about it, he's a first round pick that couldn't crack the starting 5 on a terrible line last year. ok, so he was a rookie and gets a mulligan. however, he's now in a position where the coaches feel like he would be best fit at LT, but will have to beat out mcintosh and perhaps even st claire to start. if he doesn't, barring an injury he will get shut out of the starting lineup for his first 2 nfl seasons. now, while that still wouldn't classify him as a bust given his age, the fact is you don't draft 1st round players to be projects, much less trade up in the first round for one. basically, our 1st round pick will have contributed nothing in his first 2 nfl seasons. even if he comes on his 3rd year and develops into a fine player, there will be a number of o linemen that were selected 19th or later in the past 2 drafts that will develop into starters by their 3rd season. i don't know what to call it other than a poor evaluation of talent, because several players taken after carey in the late 1st and early 2nd rounds are already contributing, a good bit of them as starters, too. it't just frustrating to have yet another early pick struggling to make a diffrence on our team.

Way too early.

He's about to start at LT for pete's sake. Judge him after this year, maybe even 2 more years.

Let's see what Hudson Houck can get out of him.

You'd look like a bust too if Tony Wise was coaching you.

yeah but thats my exact point...he was a mid 1st rd pick. taking 4 years to judge him means that in terms of 1st round picks, he's a bust if he doesn't start this year, and atleast do a decent job.

I consider a bust, a player that failed to make it as a starter...the guy has seen less than a handful of games, at least give him a year as a starter before we call him a bust.

Whos to say he won't turn it around this year?

Houck has taken O-Linemen with far less talent than Carey and made them in to good pros. I have no doubts he'll do the same with Vernon Carey.

wtf, 1 year and you're wanting to call him a bust? You do know that LT is a very important position on the O-line right? I don't see how he's anywhere close to being a bust.

thecoordinator said:
i know it is still considered too early to call vernon carey a bust, but i think he is dangerously close to making our infamous list of o line draft busts. if you think about it, he's a first round pick that couldn't crack the starting 5 on a terrible line last year. ok, so he was a rookie and gets a mulligan. however, he's now in a position where the coaches feel like he would be best fit at LT, but will have to beat out mcintosh and perhaps even st claire to start. if he doesn't, barring an injury he will get shut out of the starting lineup for his first 2 nfl seasons. now, while that still wouldn't classify him as a bust given his age, the fact is you don't draft 1st round players to be projects, much less trade up in the first round for one. basically, our 1st round pick will have contributed nothing in his first 2 nfl seasons. even if he comes on his 3rd year and develops into a fine player, there will be a number of o linemen that were selected 19th or later in the past 2 drafts that will develop into starters by their 3rd season. i don't know what to call it other than a poor evaluation of talent, because several players taken after carey in the late 1st and early 2nd rounds are already contributing, a good bit of them as starters, too. it't just frustrating to have yet another early pick struggling to make a diffrence on our team.
See what he does in training camp under Houck. If he bites there then Im going to start to question him.

Give him a little time. Some rookie offensive linemen come out and are better prepaired than others. Most knew Vernon was raw when he came out of UM, plus he didn't exactly have a HOF type OL coach last year. Give him till the end of this year before even starting the "is he a bust" thread.

I think his rookie year was a true step back in his development due to no real coaching from a complacent Wise. So I'm kind of treating this like his true rookie year. Let him learn this year and see him blossum next year.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Way too early.

He's about to start at LT for pete's sake. Judge him after this year, maybe even 2 more years.

Let's see what Hudson Houck can get out of him.

You'd look like a bust too if Tony Wise was coaching you.

He was drafted too high, but if anyone can get some of his potential out of him it's Houck.

Back
Top Bottom