Carl Peterson (Chiefs GM) on Sirius NFL radio... Surtain* | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carl Peterson (Chiefs GM) on Sirius NFL radio... Surtain*

Not even close

KB21 said:
That's not value. A second round pick next year is worth a third round pick this year, so Miami would basically be giving up a premium cornerback for the value of a 3rd and 4th round pick. That's not value for Surtain. There is not a single person out there that can tell me that Surtain is only worth a 4th round pick more than Duane Starks, who was dealt for a 3rd round pick.

This is the choice Nick Saban will give Kansas City:

A 2nd and a 4th this year, or a 4th this year and a 1st next year. Otherwise, we keep him. We can absorb his salary, and who knows. We may even be able to get a long term deal done as well.

Newsflash: we are not in the position to dictate to Kansas City, or anyone else. We're not getting a 1st for Surtain. Not this year. Not next year. Not any year that ends with a 0, 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9. Terrell Owens didn't fetch a #1. Nor did Corey Dillon. In fact, start naming all the recent trades in which a player was traded for a 1st. Last offseason Champ Bailey was considered perhaps the premier CB in the league, yet it still took Bailey plus an extra 2nd for the Redskins to pry Clinton Portis. I'm amazed no one on this forum is considering that benchmark when considering what we're likely to receive for Surtain, who is several years older than Bailey was.

A 4th this year and 2nd next year is excellent value. In fact, it's so good I doubt we'll get that. You say we can absorb Surtain's salary. I'm guessing other teams aren't so sure about that, and are willing to force Saban's hand to the wire, i.e. draft day when we're forced to assume #2 pick salary + bonus.

Don't fret the specifics regarding compensation for Surtain. Remember, we're getting a #3 for Zgonina.

Awsi Dooger said:
Newsflash: we are not in the position to dictate to Kansas City, or anyone else. We're not getting a 1st for Surtain. Not this year. Not next year. Not any year that ends with a 0, 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9. Terrell Owens didn't fetch a #1. Nor did Corey Dillon. In fact, start naming all the recent trades in which a player was traded for a 1st. Last offseason Champ Bailey was considered perhaps the premier CB in the league, yet it still took Bailey plus an extra 2nd for the Redskins to pry Clinton Portis. I'm amazed no one on this forum is considering that benchmark when considering what we're likely to receive for Surtain, who is several years older than Bailey was.

A 4th this year and 2nd next year is excellent value. In fact, it's so good I doubt we'll get that. You say we can absorb Surtain's salary. I'm guessing other teams aren't so sure about that, and are willing to force Saban's hand to the wire, i.e. draft day when we're forced to assume #2 pick salary + bonus.

Don't fret the specifics regarding compensation for Surtain. Remember, we're getting a #3 for Zgonina.

actually it was the bronco's who gave up the 2nd and portis FOR bailey which IMHO far exceeds just a 1st rd pick.

also, there is no way, i mean NO WAY any team will give us a 3rd for zgonina.

InMyChambers said:
actually it was the bronco's who gave up the 2nd and portis FOR bailey which IMHO far exceeds just a 1st rd pick.

It was the redskins that gave the broncos bailey and a 2nd for portis not the other way around

Sarcastro said:
He signed extensions with Shields, Richardson, Holmes, and Gonz that were pretty good. He pays players like Dunn and Gammons who most people don't know about, but are big parts of our team well. He overpayed a bunch of the vets on our underperforming defense such as Hicks, Woods, Wesley, and Warfield. This all could just be DV's influence as much as Carl's, but they all have to have Carl's approval to go through.

peterson puts the screws to his own players. he plays hard ball. he should never have been as tough on holmes and gonzalez as he was and just dealt with them fairly and early. he tends to burn out his stars by making it difficult for them to feel appreciated. at one point or another all of his star players were thought to be looking for a way out befor the final contract was delivered.

yeah, it must be real tough playing for the best offense in the nfl... or maybe they're just not greedy and want to play for the chiefs.

InMyChambers said:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...dskins.broncos/

"In a Bailey-Portis trade, Denver would also receive Washington's second-round selection in April's draft, an NFL source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. That would leave the Redskins with just two picks in this year's draft."

Looks more and more like we will have Surtain for this year and lose him for nothing next year. I personally think many of you over value Surtain. A 2nd is about right though given the Starks trade. If KC doesnt want to do it then seems like we are stuck.

InMyChambers said:
Carl Peterson is the Chiefs GM/President/CEO of the Chiefs. He's on the afternoon blitz on sirius NFL radio and they just spoke about Surtain. Here are the nuggets:

-There is NOT a deal in place with Surtain and the Chiefs
-He would not comment on offering a 4th rd pick for him
-He does not want to give up a 2nd rd pick this year for him
-Said the topic for a 2nd rd pick next year has not yet been discussed but did not deny the possibility
-said he anticipates communication continuing until the draft and perhaps after

Obviously no link but I don't lie. However, Peterson may be about having a deal in place because I think it could give Miami leverage.
Thanks for the info. Maybe we can get a late round pick this year and an earlier one next year.

canesfins13 said:
Looks more and more like we will have Surtain for this year and lose him for nothing next year. I personally think many of you over value Surtain. A 2nd is about right though given the Starks trade. If KC doesnt want to do it then seems like we are stuck.

Don't worry. If not San Diego somebody will jump the gun and make the deal for Surtain. Keep your eyes on San Diego. They might want to take Surtain away from K.C.

Back
Top Bottom