Carl Peterson (Chiefs GM) on Sirius NFL radio... Surtain* | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carl Peterson (Chiefs GM) on Sirius NFL radio... Surtain*

InMyChambers

Sniper
Reaction score
Carl Peterson is the Chiefs GM/President/CEO of the Chiefs. He's on the afternoon blitz on sirius NFL radio and they just spoke about Surtain. Here are the nuggets:

-There is NOT a deal in place with Surtain and the Chiefs
-He would not comment on offering a 4th rd pick for him
-He does not want to give up a 2nd rd pick this year for him
-Said the topic for a 2nd rd pick next year has not yet been discussed but did not deny the possibility
-said he anticipates communication continuing until the draft and perhaps after

Obviously no link but I don't lie. However, Peterson may be about having a deal in place because I think it could give Miami leverage.

DV was on KC radio saying that the contract rumor was just that, rumor. That Peterson was on the "left" coast evaluating a draft prospect. So this sounds true

Just asked about giving up the 3rd pick for Welborn and if he thinks Miami would meet a happy medium to get the deal done and if he thinks it's a necessity for the dolphins to get done. RESPONSE: couldn't comment on the dolphins but you can look at everyones salary cap status.

Would KC do better by just procrastinating until after the draft. That way they can then turn around and say OK we'll give you a 2nd in 2006 because there's no more option to give a pick in 2005.

I can't imagine he'd want to acknowledge a deal... it would give Miami some basis for making offers to other teams.

Interesting listening to this Peterson guy. He hasn't impressed me much over the years as a guy who really knows how to put a complete program together. Always seems to have key ingredients missing. I wonder what kind of price he expects to pay for a shut-down/near-shut-down corner with 3 years left on his wheels?

InMyChambers said:
Carl Peterson is the Chiefs GM/President/CEO of the Chiefs. He's on the afternoon blitz on sirius NFL radio and they just spoke about Surtain. Here are the nuggets:

-Said the topic for a 2nd rd pick next year has not yet been discussed but did not deny the possibility

Obviously no link but I don't lie. However, Peterson may be about having a deal in place because I think it could give Miami leverage.

Good, they'll just have to give up two 1st's next year then...LOL

EightyTwenty said:
Interesting listening to this Peterson guy. He hasn't impressed me much over the years as a guy who really knows how to put a complete program together. Always seems to have key ingredients missing. I wonder what kind of price he expects to pay for a shut-down/near-shut-down corner with 3 years left on his wheels?

yeah, i see your point. but he's had the job for 16 years and just signed an extension.

I would take a 1st next year but I don't think there's any chance KC offers that. Plus how does that help us get Matt Jones?;)

InMyChambers said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Carl was lying. He is the type of GM that doesn't like to admit anything until after everything is finalized. Earlier this offseason when the Chiefs lost Rolle to the Ravens he blamed it on the media and said something along the lines that he was just going to keep in the dark from now on.

InMyChambers said:

I also don't lie. BTW I have a huge *****. :cooldude:

bigmiamifan said:
So then maybe a 4th this year and 2nd next year?

That's not value. A second round pick next year is worth a third round pick this year, so Miami would basically be giving up a premium cornerback for the value of a 3rd and 4th round pick. That's not value for Surtain. There is not a single person out there that can tell me that Surtain is only worth a 4th round pick more than Duane Starks, who was dealt for a 3rd round pick.

This is the choice Nick Saban will give Kansas City:

A 2nd and a 4th this year, or a 4th this year and a 1st next year. Otherwise, we keep him. We can absorb his salary, and who knows. We may even be able to get a long term deal done as well.

Back
Top Bottom