Carter Is The Best Choice To Replace Gadsden.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carter Is The Best Choice To Replace Gadsden....

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised to hear that ORONDE GADSDEN had made his decision to undergo season-ending wrist surgery---after talking it over with his wife. There was still swelling on his wrist...and he just as well could have waited just a couple of days more perhaps--to see what he can do with his wrist...once that swelling had gone down. The team trainers would have placed Oronde in a special type of casting where the wrist would be protected.....the only question would have been...is what can ORONDE do with that protecitve device on...as far as him going on the playing field with it...trying to catch footballs.
This decision could have been made with some bitterness as well yesterday....as Gadsden and his agent....MIKE TODD sat down with the DOlphins brass....trying to extend his contract for next season...and with some injury insurances.....but those meetings went absolutely nowhere. Gadsden now has this season-ending injury....he now elects to take the surgery....and the real reality now....is that this could be the end for ORONDE in a Dolphin uniform...as he will be a free-agent at the end of this season. This now leaves the Dolphins in need of another WR... and one will surely be added to the roster sometime during the upcoming bye week.
Yesterday....the Dolphins were preparing for life without the BIG O....and they worked out a whole lot of WR's....among them....REDIEL ANTHONY and SEAN DAWKINS....who are the leading candidates right now...to be signed.
However.....RICK SPIELMAN has contacted current HBO analyst....and local...BOCA resident....CHRIS CARTER....about his feelings right now.....whether or not he would like to come back to football. Carter has told SPIELMAN that he definately would consider playing for the Dolphins....but that right now....he was not 100% sure....and has told SPIELMAN that he would get back to him. Carter seems to be having a pretty successful rookie season with HBO's Inside the NFL....but there is no clause in his TV contract that would prevent him from coming back to the NFL....if that is what he wanted to do.
Basically....the Dolphins...SPIELMAN....has told CARTER....that if he would like to come in and talk to the Dolphins brass about joining the team.....then come in and lets see if we can work something out....(contract)...and also....the Dolphins would like CARTER to go on the field as well...and see what kind of shape he is currently in right now. Thats pretty much where it stands right now......the first step is for CARTER to get back to the team...and just tell them whether or not he wants to come back and play.

The bottom line: With the loss of a real good, tough possession-type of receiver like GADSDEN......the closest thing out there right now....is NOT any of the players who worked out yesterday.....because those guys are not starters in this league. Carter....if he does want to play.....would really come in be the closest immitation to ORONDE you can possibly find at this point in the season. Forget about all that disruptive chemistry stuff right now....because that is not even viable at this point. Carter would be coming in....for the one simple reason now......he is needed in the ORONDE GADSDEN ROLE. The entire team would welcome Carter with open arms now.....the team chemistry is too bonded now....and there is no way that CARTER would come in here now....and disrupt things. Carter's only concern within the next couple of weeks...if he were to come in....is to learn NORVS playbook as quickly as possible....and to help the Dolphins down the second half of the season...and of course....for a Super Bowl run.

ALthough I believe that both JAMES McKnight and DEDRIC WARD can get the job done this week.....their skill levels are not the same when it comes to what ORONDE brings to the team...as a starter. Oronde brings that size and hands...and those skilled routes inside.....thats what really seperates him in this offense...and that is what will be missed with his absence.

Like I said in my headline......if CHRIS CARTER wants to play.....the timing is right.....and most importantly.....he is the best WR out there who can replace and replicate the skills of one.....ORONDE GADSDEN.

I hope he reconsiders and signs with us...I think all DOlPhin fans will surely be happy to see him now.......
DCH

carter........................

exellent post DCH!! and i agree.

carter needs to be signed now. carter is better than any of those re-treds and gives us the best chance for continued success.

i think the oronde thing is a blessing in disguise and something that is best for the teasm in the long run. i like oronde, and the guy has some of the best hands ever, but he misses time every year and fades in the second half of th season. his feat are terrable and could send him into retirement at any given moment.

we have needed upgrade at the wr spot for a while. i was hoping we would do this in the offseason. another name guy or a big time young guy like chambers in the draft is what we need, [plus a qb!:evil: ]

I disagree. In no way do I see a blessing in disguise. Maybe for the future. But certainly not NOW. This is as good a chance as we're gonna get at reaching the Super Bowl. And Oronde is one of the main ingredients in the recipe. Last Sunday night, we lost the best hands in the NFL. We lost a guy who would be the best WR in the NFL if he possessed speed (because he had everything else in his arsenal).

I'm sorry, but I don't see an upgrade over Gadsden on the horizon.

thanks again DCH. I would not be mad if we signed Carter, but feel that this O can thrive still w/CC, Ward and McK; when CC is back to 100% of course. That leaves us 1 injury away from heavily relying on Baker - who has no game experience, so signing REDIEL ANTHONY or SEAN DAWKINS as a 5th WR make some sense to me. Does Anthony returns punts ? Dawkins is actually a big guy who never seemed tough, but could play like OG if he used his talent; but agreed that CC, Sr would easily be able to replace OG if he is still in CC, Sr like shape

i gotta get used to this, getting rid of OG kinda screws up my thinking about the fins management and i don't care who they sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bet is Carter will be in uniform after the bye week. He already said on Inside the NFL during the Rams WR problems that all Martz had to do is call him and his (Martz) problems would be solved.
I had a problem with Carters coming in during TC and being a distraction but DCH is right, the team has bonded and the Dolphins have a winning tradition that he needs to conform to.

I agree 06...what the hell? I understand that they might be wary of giving OG a big contract, but he wasn't asking for anymore than McKnight is getting.

If Chris Carter comes on board, I sure hope he keeps his mouth shut. We are at a real touchy point in the season right now...real touchy.

I agree. I would like to see him here as well. Training Camp just wasn't the right time. Now we have a need for him. Just as long as he's still got "it". "Come on down, Cris!!"

Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
I agree 06...what the hell? I understand that they might be wary of giving OG a big contract, but he wasn't asking for anymore than McKnight is getting.

If Chris Carter comes on board, I sure hope he keeps his mouth shut. We are at a real touchy point in the season right now...real touchy.
OG is too old and banged up w/injuries that will never heal to give him a 5 year deal like McK got
Todd said the minimum proposal he was willing to entertain was a five-year, $9 million contract, which is what wide receiver James McKnight received from the Dolphins in free agency in 2001. Todd said the Dolphins offered a shorter contract worth $1.1 million less per year than what McKnight is averaging.
that's totally ridiculous

I wonder if Herman Moore stayed in shape after his retirement? He is another size, possesion type receiver. May not be interested.

I can't believe all this fawning over Carter. If he's willing to dump HBO in mid season the man is still all about himself. If there is any adversity in the locker room in the next few weeks I don't see him helping at all. If he had any leadership skills he should have shown them in Minnesota, instead he says I'm looking for a Super Bowl contender. Wannstedt must be panicking to even consider Carter.

Thanks DCH. always some good reading from you. i would just like to say that chris carter would give us everything that gadsden gave us except he would demand more presence from opposing defenses come playoff time. i see his role as a 3rd down reciever though and Mcnight getting the start. why? cus Norv is salivating this very moment to get the ball deep! he has been waiting for this and now he has the tools to do it better. he will stick to what wins us games, however he wants to throw a deep ball wrinkle in there and i dont see why it cant happen tommorrow. chris carter will get us more recognition and something else for defenses to worry about. the only problem i would forsee is that he would be getting used to this new offense and Lucas and then get used to Fiedler. that is why he wouldnt be a starter. mcnight has earned the spot by keeping his mouth shut and not dropping balls.

Originally posted by Merman
I can't believe all this fawning over Carter. If he's willing to dump HBO in mid season the man is still all about himself. If there is any adversity in the locker room in the next few weeks I don't see him helping at all. If he had any leadership skills he should have shown them in Minnesota, instead he says I'm looking for a Super Bowl contender. Wannstedt must be panicking to even consider Carter.

i dont see that at all. this statement sounds a little presumptuous via the HBO thang. CC wants to play football, period. he retired from noone wanting him. now someone wants him. and if he could go out with a super bowl ring, why wouldnt he? i even doubt he is in bad shape. he always kept himself ready in the offseason.

Back
Top Bottom