Ceiling and floor... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ceiling and floor...

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
For lack of better terms, what attributes make for high upside and high floor for college prospects? Im mainly looking at DBs, WRs, Edge and QBs but if you'd like to give your opinion for different position groups, feel free to do so.

For example, I'd think that accurate QBs who process information quickly make for very safe bets, while arm strength and mobility will give guys a higher ceiling.

For WRs, great hands and short area qickness will practically assure you to get a useful player, while top speed and leaping ability could really land a top guy.

DBs who process info very quickly are almost certain to find a decent role on your defense, while all other metrics make up the bulk of how great they came become. IMO

Edge Im really not sure but Im feel like to get a top guy, he absolutely needs to test well, needs to be explosive.

Those are just quick off the top of my head examples, Im really interested to know what you guys think.

QB - Feet

WR - Physicality

DB - Route Recognition

Edge - Hands

In addition to the ones you referenced, these are the single attributes I believe show up most consistently in dominant players.

For WR's it is route running and hands, all the measurable are useless if you don't get open or keep dropping the ball.

I would use intangibles to separate similar players, give me smart players, dedicated players, team guys. I would try to avoid the selfish diva WR's at all costs.

For lack of better terms, what attributes make for high upside and high floor for college prospects? Im mainly looking at DBs, WRs, Edge and QBs but if you'd like to give your opinion for different position groups, feel free to do so.

For example, I'd think that accurate QBs who process information quickly make for very safe bets, while arm strength and mobility will give guys a higher ceiling.

For WRs, great hands and short area qickness will practically assure you to get a useful player, while top speed and leaping ability could really land a top guy.

DBs who process info very quickly are almost certain to find a decent role on your defense, while all other metrics make up the bulk of how great they came become. IMO

Edge Im really not sure but Im feel like to get a top guy, he absolutely needs to test well, needs to be explosive.

Those are just quick off the top of my head examples, Im really interested to know what you guys think.

I may be odd man out. Given a minimum level of talent, I think there are 2 critical (not the only 2) factors coaches like.
1) If the player is deemed coachable, look for those small habits/weaknesses that can be corrected with coaching. Evidence there is a floor, but a high ceiling.
2) Mental aspect. QBs aren't the only ones to need it. There are frequent comments here about players who are 'a step slow,' or 'missed an assignment,' or 'poor vision.' All of those are symptoms of not NFL quick enough. Yes, every position has specific needs (e.g., good hands), but, again, moving up every level of football, many players fail because they don't have the mental quickness for the next level.

Which is why I like Fromm

QB - Feet

WR - Physicality

DB - Route Recognition

Edge - Hands

In addition to the ones you referenced, these are the single attributes I believe show up most consistently in dominant players.
You know who has great feet?? Rosen

Back
Top Bottom