Chad Bumphis & Jonas Gray = more explosive offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Bumphis & Jonas Gray = more explosive offense

a recent Nate Newton column on Dez "my mom's a crack ho" Bryant: Dez runs a 4.5 [40-yard dash]. He’s not a 4.4 guy, he’s not a 4.3 guy, but he’s got that knack of when the ball hits the air, he turns into a 4.3 guy. It reminds you of Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice ran a 4.5, 4.6.

Explosive but not fast = Orande Gadsden

I would take a player like him before a 4.4 or 4.3 guy who can fly but cant catch.
He was a playmaker.

Quick is a better description then explosive. He doesn't have that 5th gear or ability to explode in a step. What he possesses is the ability to get open and elude defenders when he gets the ball.

Explosive but not fast = Orande Gadsden

I would take a player like him before a 4.4 or 4.3 guy who can fly but cant catch.
He was a playmaker.

Yeah but Oronde Gadsden was very big and would always make these gifted catches deep down the field. That's not Chad Bumphis' game. It's more like a slot version of Brandon Lloyd who always found a way to make big plays despite being slow and now overly big or physical.

I think Daniel Thomas might be more explosive than Jonas Gray but Jonas is more reliable, better vision, has way better balance and might have more overall speed as well.

I don't find that he is. Thomas gets going pretty quick.

There is more of an explosion coming out of my ass after eating a cheesy rice, meat and bean burrito then Daniel Thomas could ever generate with his legs.

Can't wait to see what Bumphis can do. I think he has a great shot at making the 53 and would be great rotating in the slot with Gibson.

I'm really intrigued by Gray. I'm looking forward to seeing him more. I'd love to see Thomas somewhere we to open up a spot for Gray.

CK, I know you have watched a lot of Gray's college tape. Do you think he has lost any speed since the acl injury?

In 2 years with the Dolphins Thomas has not a single run as long as Gray did in his 1st game.

Lol. Now put in its proper context. (1). It was a PRESEASON game against largely back-ups. So Gray still hasn't played in a real NFL game. (2). Having a long run doesn't necessarily relate to 'explosiveness'. In that instance it meant no one near him and shoddy tackling. Note as well on his other six carries, he managed only 12 yards. If Gray was that good, then I guess every Cowboy running back in that game is headed to HOF because they all looked like Gale Sayers running through the Dolphin D. I'm neither wowed nor depressed by Gray's performance. If he continues to do well, it gives the Dolphins great depth at running back if nothing else. I wish him well coming off that injury.

Lol. Now put in its proper context. (1). It was a PRESEASON game against largely back-ups. So Gray still hasn't played in a real NFL game. (2). Having a long run doesn't necessarily relate to 'explosiveness'. In that instance it meant no one near him and shoddy tackling. Note as well on his other six carries, he managed only 12 yards. If Gray was that good, then I guess every Cowboy running back in that game is headed to HOF because they all looked like Gale Sayers running through the Dolphin D. I'm neither wowed nor depressed by Gray's performance. If he continues to do well, it gives the Dolphins great depth at running back if nothing else. I wish him well coming off that injury.

LOL at that reply. Talk about "proper context". My post was not made to show Gray as an "explosive RB", but rather the lack of same from Thomas.

Gray looked a bit sluggish compared to my memories of Notre Dame. He should steadily improve. I'd like to see him lose maybe 5-7 pounds to compensate for the decline based on the leg injury. Then once the leg is closer to full strength you can regain the weight.

Neither one is classic explosive, as others have pointed out. I'd like to see Bumphis operate in press coverage and tight quarters to get a better feel for him. At Mississippi State the offense sprung him free all the time, like last week.

Of all the players we've signed in free agency over the years, I'd say Chad Bumphis is the least surprising to make a quick impact. I remember sampling that thread on the night the draft ended and being shocked that Bumphis hadn't been drafted and we managed to sign him. Several of us pinpointed him quickly in that thread. I was watching PGA and LPGA golf that afternoon and had just assumed somebody had drafted Bumphis in the late rounds. Still hard to figure how he went unclaimed.

Gray looked a bit sluggish compared to my memories of Notre Dame. He should steadily improve. I'd like to see him lose maybe 5-7 pounds to compensate for the decline based on the leg injury. Then once the leg is closer to full strength you can regain the weight.

Neither one is classic explosive, as others have pointed out. I'd like to see Bumphis operate in press coverage and tight quarters to get a better feel for him. At Mississippi State the offense sprung him free all the time, like last week.

Of all the players we've signed in free agency over the years, I'd say Chad Bumphis is the least surprising to make a quick impact. I remember sampling that thread on the night the draft ended and being shocked that Bumphis hadn't been drafted and we managed to sign him. Several of us pinpointed him quickly in that thread. I was watching PGA and LPGA golf that afternoon and had just assumed somebody had drafted Bumphis in the late rounds. Still hard to figure how he went unclaimed.

Agreed. Was just talking about that in a Gray thread yesterday. He still has his power but without the quickness and burst he's more like Michael Turner or Delone Carter than a poor man's Ricky Williams. Maybe losing a bit of weight would help him but being more aggressive and classically power based in his decision making would help also.

a recent Nate Newton column on Dez "my mom's a crack ho" Bryant: Dez runs a 4.5 [40-yard dash]. He’s not a 4.4 guy, he’s not a 4.3 guy, but he’s got that knack of when the ball hits the air, he turns into a 4.3 guy. It reminds you of Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice ran a 4.5, 4.6.

4.52 isn't exactly slug-like and you sense he's one of those guys who plays fast. But as I said above, I don't think he can continue to catch the ball the way he does and not get mugged by NFL secondaries.

Back
Top Bottom