Chad Bumphis & Jonas Gray = more explosive offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Bumphis & Jonas Gray = more explosive offense

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
Slot Receiver: Chad Bumphis's 45 yd catch & run was longer than any of Davone Bess's receptions (in 5 years with Miami).

Power Back: Jonas Gray's 29 yd run was longer than any of Daniel Thomas's runs (in 2 years with Miami).

And that was just from a handful of touches in the HOF game..

I think Bumphis has a good chance to make the 53 man roster. Gray could end up on the practice squad, but I do want to see more of him.

Gray is not explosive..far from it

Bumphis looked like belonged. He definitely flashed talent. Apart from the deflection that was returned for a pick 6, he had a great game. He will be our #3 IMHO.
Gray has more leg strength, better center of gravity, and better change of direction than Thomas. Sure he doesn't have long speed, but I can see him moving the chains and catching the ball out of the backfield.
The Thomas experiment is done. He was drafted to be a wildcat player in the mold of Ronnie Brown. We are not a wildcat team anymore and he never filled Brown's shoes. He has no usefulness on this team.

[video=youtube;4J3GbO-h6lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J3GbO-h6lw[/video]

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

I like what I see so far! Lets go bumphis i'm all aboard!! Now Jonas or Thomas hmmm I haven't decided who I prefer.

Let me see Bumphis against someone that might make a team before we start calling him explosive. He is the slowest WR on our current roster. He ran about the same 40 times as Bess. Can Chad make the team, maybe, but only if he can become a good STs guy. Bumphis has a very low ceiling. He is at best, a poor man's Bess, without the good hands.

If Bumphis makes the team it is bad news for the dolphins. It will mean some of the other players with big play potential, like Tyms or Davis, have not developed enough to contribute.

Gray I like. I think he could be the short yardage back we need. I still want to see a lot more of him, but I like his style. Although I am much higher on Gray than I am Bumphis, I still wouldn't call him explosive either. He is not the type of player that is going to be ripping off 40 yard runs vs NFL defenses. But I do like him in 3rd in 1s and 2s better than I like Daniel Thomas.

I have to agree with KTOWNFINFAN here. I don't know their 40 times but Bumphis looked reeeeeeeeally slow to me in that game. On that long reception he had, I would expect a good slot receiver to outrun the safety and go the distance. Imagine Mike Wallace catching that ball.

Same with Gray. Again, I don't know 40 times of either Gray or Daniel Thomas and I don't care really. It's all about game speed and I'm not as down on Daniel Thomas as almost everyone else is on this board. Last year, the few carries Daniel Thomas had in the early games before he sustained his first concussion, he showed more speed hitting the hole and more power than Reggie Bush. I liked what I saw from him and I would not want to write him off just yet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Gray looked a lot slower than Daniel Thomas in the HOF game. A lot.

neither guy is explosive although thomas is definately not fast

not really, gray looked ok last week but certainly not explosive

gray realky shined against the 5th stringers on that run but hell he is our 4th string

Bump is not a burner. His 40 time is 4.55 but it doesn't take away from his quickness, ability to get open and play making ability. Bess was a guy that could make a catch but do nothing with the ball afterwards. He had 12 TDs in 5 years with the Dolphins. Although you can't compare playing against SEC defenses to NFL defenses, Bumphis had 12 his Sr year at MSU. That number clearly represents his big play potential playing for one of the bottom tier SEC teams.

I wouldn't say he will be the number 3 yet, but if he continues with the way he is practicing and playing, he will be getting snaps on Sundays this year.

The typical argument is look at how Player A performed against 4th string guys. What Gray showed is his ability to hit a hole and power through it. Philbin is not a guy that likes dancers (see Reggie Bush) but loves guys like Miller and Gray. Pick the hole immediately and get through it. Miller does it with speed, Gray is power. A nice balance in the backfield.

The typical argument is look at how Player A performed against 4th string guys. What Gray showed is his ability to hit a hole and power through it. Philbin is not a guy that likes dancers (see Reggie Bush) but loves guys like Miller and Gray. Pick the hole immediately and get through it. Miller does it with speed, Gray is power. A nice balance in the backfield.

well against the better players gray did nothing so its a possible argument

Bumphis and Gray don't make us much more explosive, Wallace and Keller clearly do. Think it will take a couple of years yet for our O to be the way Philbin wants it to be, but we are getting there.

Back
Top Bottom