Chad O Shea The New Oc? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad O Shea The New Oc?

Oh Patrick Graham, the guy they say will be the DC, has never been a defensive coordinator either. So first time head coach with a first time OC and a first time DC...is there any reason we shouldn't have a top 10 pick next year?
I'm OK with a top 5 pick.

I'm also good with the direction the franchise is headed, as far as staff, and apparent plan.

I don't mind investing time in young, hungry, aggressive, forward thinking coaches.

I have a good feeling about this.

They run a lot of screens, but I don't know about that it's more than Gases cluster fest. They run mainly rubs, and thinly disguised "picks" to get those quick throws open.

It requires precision option routes, and a QB that quickly reads post snap. Works like a charm if you can pull it off.

I've seen comments about how the Pats receivers are always open, and that defenses play off, instead of bumping at the LOS. That's where the scheme comes in. For example, if you run trips, with one receiver off the line, and the D-backs play close, they will get in each others way, and a receiver will pop open. A good QB sees this before it even happens.
Absolutely agree. They are the masters of running those rub routes and not getting called. You've hit on the two of the three main positives I see from this coaching staff that can really up our effectiveness. If we're going to have success with this system, its going to be because of precision passing, flawless execution of the pick plays (the rub WR not getting called), and low penalties. This scheme has a low margin for error, so the pieces have to work dependably without mental errors. Frankly, that will be a welcome change from the Gase era, because I really liked how Don Shula used to win by flawless execution and being the lowest penalized team in the NFL almost every year. The talent difference isn't high enough to win with lots of penalties.

I like it. First time HC, first time DC, and first time OC. Are they likely to all be hits? Probably not. Boom or Bust Potential here. This is a rebuild so if one of them isnt good, we probably are in the running for the top pick with this roster. Also, maybe one of these coordinators is a good prospect for a HC if Flores doesnt work out.

Ideally, I want to see improve on one side of the ball this year while the other side (hopefully offense) sucks ass and we get the first pick.

I'm OK with the report tho I was hoping (as a certified uninformed non-film geek basic fan) that we'd get all horny with a

hi IQ college O guru and implement an athlete based QB system with lots of misdirection runs jet sweeps and assorted

WTF "were did the ball go" shenanigans etc. I guess it's OK to impersonate the Cheats cystem but I'd have to assume

the QB spec is "different" than the more readily available college talent -- in terms of pocket

protector coitusback VS. a fast twitch mofo who can chuck the rock as needed...

Bottom line -- we'll have to see...

Absolutely agree. They are the masters of running those rub routes and not getting called. You've hit on the two of the three main positives I see from this coaching staff that can really up our effectiveness. If we're going to have success with this system, its going to be because of precision passing, flawless execution of the pick plays (the rub WR not getting called), and low penalties. This scheme has a low margin for error, so the pieces have to work dependably without mental errors. Frankly, that will be a welcome change from the Gase era, because I really liked how Don Shula used to win by flawless execution and being the lowest penalized team in the NFL almost every year. The talent difference isn't high enough to win with lots of penalties.

The Pat's scheme requires smart and mentally quick athletes. Most teams seem to want just athletes

This part made me want to puke:

“The Dolphins finished 31st on offense last season, averaging 289.9 yards per game. That was the lowest ranking in franchise history.”

In today’s NFL that almost impossible. You’re telling me that our David Woodley led offenses where we won games 12-6 averaged more yards? What about the 1-15 season? I could go on. How is this even possible? Perhaps that’s average yards net of penalty yards?

Caldwell and O’Shea > Gase and Loggains - book it. LOL @ the Jets.

“The Dolphins finished 31st on offense last season, averaging 289.9 yards per game. That was the lowest ranking in franchise history.”

In today’s NFL that almost impossible. You’re telling me that our David Woodley led offenses where we won games 12-6 averaged more yards? What about the 1-15 season? I could go on. How is this even possible? Perhaps that’s average yards net of penalty yards?

I for one am shocked, I was positive that the wildcat and bubble screens would work in 2018. I think we had personnel that was way better than that. We should have been hovering around league average.

2 first time coordinators is certainly something to be concerned about, but I would rather take a shot with an unknown guy with potential, than a re-tread coordinator who has failed elsewhere.

2 first time coordinators is certainly something to be concerned about, but I would rather take a shot with an unknown guy with potential, than a re-tread coordinator who has failed elsewhere.
I've never been a fan of retread HCs.
Unless its a Jim Harbaugh type situation, they have been failures, else they wouldn't be available.

No previously successful HC was going to even consider this job, given the circumstances.

I don't know if Flores is the guy, but he has my support until he shows me he doesn't know what he is doing.

I expect next season to be a brutal one, but after that, I want to see substantial improvement year to year.

Personally, I read that as 31st is the lowest ranking in franchise history, not the actual lowest average yards. It's a different NFL today. I'd be willing to bet most teams in the 70s didn't average 289 per

i actually like this. He has been the Pats WR coach for 10 years now, and was expected to be their OC until McDaniels came back from Belichicking Indy. I'm sure O'Shea will be fired up to show his worth, and being able to use Caldwell as a resource is very exciting.

I watched an interview with him a few weeks ago where he was asked about how he feels about skill position players and getting players that fit into his offense. His response was "our goal as an offensive is to put all of our skill position players in the best place to succeed and utilize their advantages as individuals"

That to me speaks volumes. It tells me that, a lot like the "Patriots way", we are going to work on exploiting weaknesses and advantages on a game by game basis, and figure out our best matchup as opposed to putting in a "system" and hoping it works.

Excited to see what he can do with Grant, Wilson, Stills and Gesicki

Back
Top Bottom