Chad Reuter's Mock From Nfln | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Reuter's Mock From Nfln

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Not bad considering our needs but we better have nailed that QB in the first

In that scenario, I think I'd try to trade both our 7th rd picks to get into the 5th rd somewhere and get a rb.

Round 1 (6) Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Round 3 (73) Rasheem Green, DT, USC Fred Warner OLB BYU
Round 4 (123) Chris Herndon, TE, Miami
Round 4 (131) Dorian O'Daniel, LB, Clemson Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech
Round 6 (209) Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii
Round 7 (227) Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State Jordan Lasley WR UCLA
Round 7 (229) David Steinmetz, OT, Purdue

Just the way Reuter has the draft falling I'd like to replace 3 picks of his picks.

Round 1 (6) Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Round 3 (73) Rasheem Green, DT, USC Fred Warner OLB BYU
Round 4 (123) Chris Herndon, TE, Miami
Round 4 (131) Dorian O'Daniel, LB, Clemson Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech
Round 6 (209) Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii
Round 7 (227) Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State Jordan Lasley WR UCLA
Round 7 (229) David Steinmetz, OT, Purdue

Just the way Reuter has the draft falling I'd like to replace 3 picks of his picks.

Nice call on Fred Warner.

Not a fan of Herndon. He is a very blah TE. Nothing different that anything we've had in the past 15 years. Average to below.

As I see it, this is how the teams faired in Reuter's mock:

Winner

Baltimore
Buffalo
Chicago
Denver
Detroit
Indianapolis
New York Jets
Seattle

Mixed bag

Arizona
Atlanta
Carolina
Cincinnati
Dallas
Miami
New York Giants
Oakland
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

Loser

Cleveland
Green Bay
Houston
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
Minnesota
New England
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
San Francisco
Tennessee
Washington

The Bills and Jets drafts weren't great outside of QB, but they landed the two prizes, and that holds extra weight.

J-off. I don't think we have to go dt until the fourth even with losing Suh. I think we can land a very good talent with one of our 4ths at the position saving the 2nd for a more skilled position. Thoughts?

J-off. I don't think we have to go dt until the fourth even with losing Suh. I think we can land a very good talent with one of our 4ths at the position saving the 2nd for a more skilled position. Thoughts?

I agree with the line of thought, but I think it requires qualifiers and context. Miami will likely not find a DT that they can count on to disrupt the QB or make a lot of plays in the backfield in the 4th or later. Of the DT's who may be available, Bilal Nichols, James Looney, and PJ Hall stand out as talented enough, but each is more likely to develop into a rotational DT than a high-quality starter - Hall and Nichols transitioning from small schools, Looney having a boom-bust profile and play style. Because they're plus athletes with legit upside beyond their athleticism (athleticism caps ceilings but doesn't indicate success at DT), any or all could be gone before Day 3 starts.

I say it's unlikely, but there is a guy with a high ceiling and a better shot to pan out - Trenton Thompson. He struggled with a knee injury 2017, but he was coming on very strong at the end of 2016. He finished 2016 as the team leader in TFL and tied for the team lead in sacks. He's stronger than his size indicates, and he'd be the guy I'd target on Day 3. Don't see Fatukasi falling, but if he did, he'd be another solid bet.

The other option would be looking for a safer starter, with less value if he hits. Derrick Nnadi is going to be a stud run defender. He may be the hardest DT to move in the draft. He doesn't offer any upside as a pass rusher - slow and lacks agility and burst. If you feel you need a starter, and you think you can compensate for a lack of inside pass rush, Nnadi would make sense.

Should also say that DT isn't an any transition. Instincts and intelligence are important traits (one of the reasons I'm high on Harrison Phillips), and adjusting to the strength and athleticism of NFL OL takes times - even for the guys who turn into All Pros. We're talking about what these guys can develop into in years 2 and 3 - not what they'll provide in 2018.

I agree with the line of thought, but I think it requires qualifiers and context. Miami will likely not find a DT that they can count on to disrupt the QB or make a lot of plays in the backfield in the 4th or later. Of the DT's who may be available, Bilal Nichols, James Looney, and PJ Hall stand out as talented enough, but each is more likely to develop into a rotational DT than a high-quality starter - Hall and Nichols transitioning from small schools, Looney having a boom-bust profile and play style. Because they're plus athletes with legit upside beyond their athleticism (athleticism caps ceilings but doesn't indicate success at DT), any or all could be gone before Day 3 starts.

I say it's unlikely, but there is a guy with a high ceiling and a better shot to pan out - Trenton Thompson. He struggled with a knee injury 2017, but he was coming on very strong at the end of 2016. He finished 2016 as the team leader in TFL and tied for the team lead in sacks. He's stronger than his size indicates, and he'd be the guy I'd target on Day 3. Don't see Fatukasi falling, but if he did, he'd be another solid bet.

The other option would be looking for a safer starter, with less value if he hits. Derrick Nnadi is going to be a stud run defender. He may be the hardest DT to move in the draft. He doesn't offer any upside as a pass rusher - slow and lacks agility and burst. If you feel you need a starter, and you think you can compensate for a lack of inside pass rush, Nnadi would make sense.

Should also say that DT isn't an any transition. Instincts and intelligence are important traits (one of the reasons I'm high on Harrison Phillips), and adjusting to the strength and athleticism of NFL OL takes times - even for the guys who turn into All Pros. We're talking about what these guys can develop into in years 2 and 3 - not what they'll provide in 2018.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of Nnadi, I really want someone who can get after th QB. We lacked that last year. I agree with your like of Harrison. I'm a fan of his as well.

Back
Top Bottom