Chan Gailey... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey...

Yeah but he was asbolutely horrid at Dallas...I think there are better coaches available than him

No no, Dave Campo was absolutely horrid in Dallas. Chan Gailey did ok but just wasn't good enough to satisfy the hungry Dallas fans that still remembered championships being won.

Gailey was 18-14 in Dallas and made the playoffs both years. He was 10-6 his first year there, lost in the wildcard round.

He was 8-8 his second year, where Mike Irvin got hurt right away.

Campo got there and right away went 5-11 three years in a row.

In retrospect, Gailey's probably getting a lot of credit because everyone now realizes Dallas was a sinking ship from a personnel-standpoint and Gailey really wasn't that bad a coach for them.

When he jumped to Miami he's probably the ONLY coach that got the most out of Chris Chambers, was the first coach in decades to get Miami an 1,100 yard rusher and he got it out of Lamar freaking Smith, and the smartest thing he did was leave right away to go coach Georgia Tech rather than stay on Wannstedt's sinking ship.

And he's really done a pretty good job with Georgia Tech. He had four 7+ win seasons in a row, went to a bowl game each year, coached some fine defenses while there and some decent offenses. I think Chan Gailey would be a good hire.

No no, Dave Campo was absolutely horrid in Dallas. Chan Gailey did ok but just wasn't good enough to satisfy the hungry Dallas fans that still remembered championships being won.

Gailey was 18-14 in Dallas and made the playoffs both years. He was 10-6 his first year there, lost in the wildcard round.

In retrospect, Gailey's probably getting a lot of credit because everyone now realizes Dallas was a sinking ship from a personnel-standpoint and Gailey really wasn't that bad a coach for them.

When he jumped to Miami he's probably the ONLY coach that got the most out of Chris Chambers, was the first coach in decades to get Miami an 1,100 yard rusher and he got it out of Lamar freaking Smith, and the smartest thing he did was leave right away to go coach Georgia Tech rather than stay on Wannstedt's sinking ship.

And he's really done a pretty good job with Georgia Tech. He had four 7+ win seasons in a row, went to a bowl game each year, coached some fine defenses while there and some decent offenses. I think Chan Gailey would be a good hire.

Campo!!! Thats right. Thanks for the Correction

I agree. Gailey might not be my 1st choice, but he deserves some consideration...

God almighty who recommended this guy to even be interviewed. :shakeno:

Gailey is Vanilla as they come and another in a line of coaches that don't understand the concept of making adjustments if a team has come in with a better gameplan.

Reminds me a lot of Coker.
Line em up and keep doing the same thing whether it's working or not. Wanny followed that same concept as well IIMO.

No Thanks.

Chan for HC,Shula for OC,new QB coach, new QB's, and a real #1 reciever etc. We may actually score a few touchdowns next year.

CK, I'm a Cowboys fan as well as being a Dolphins fan, one of those strange creatures who has a passion for a team in each conference. Believe me when I tell you, I personally thought it was a mistake to fire Gailey then, and after seeing Parcells for 4 years, I still think it was a mistake to fire Gailey.

Gailey turned that club around so quickly after Switzer's disastrous '97 season it wasn't even funny. From the outside looking in it's obvious to see he had some success, and for those who followed the Cowboys day-to-day, the changes he helped bring about were even more remarkable.

One thing that's not stated enough is that he lost one Hall-of-Famer marquee offensive player his first season there for more than a third of the season (Aikman) and one likely future Hall-of-Famer to a career-ending injury his 2nd season, and still got the club to the post-season both times.

God almighty who recommended this guy to even be interviewed. :shakeno:

Gailey is Vanilla as they come and another in a line of coaches that don't understand the concept of making adjustments if a team has come in with a better gameplan.

Reminds me a lot of Coker.
Line em up and keep doing the same thing whether it's working or not. Wanny followed that same concept as well IIMO.

No Thanks.

Well, it's obvious that you haven't watched Chan Gailey. The man is all about making adjustments and structuring things around the talent he has on offense. He is one of the few coaches that can make something out of nothing.

I'd prefer someone other than Gailey, but am starting to prepare myself for the annoucement of him as our coach.

As for my track record - at the time of their hires I thought Jimmy Johnson and Saban were going to be a sure thing and our answers so who knows....maybe the brass going with someone other than the "hot" guy will start a turn around for this franchise.

CK, I'm a Cowboys fan as well as being a Dolphins fan, one of those strange creatures who has a passion for a team in each conference. Believe me when I tell you, I personally thought it was a mistake to fire Gailey then, and after seeing Parcells for 4 years, I still think it was a mistake to fire Gailey.

Gailey turned that club around so quickly after Switzer's disastrous '97 season it wasn't even funny. From the outside looking in it's obvious to see he had some success, and for those who followed the Cowboys day-to-day, the changes he helped bring about were even more remarkable.

One thing that's not stated enough is that he lost one Hall-of-Famer marquee offensive player his first season there for more than a third of the season (Aikman) and one likely future Hall-of-Famer to a career-ending injury his 2nd season, and still got the club to the post-season both times.

I appreciate the insight from your perspective as a Cowboys fan. I hadn't quite emphasized the turnaround from Switzer's disastrous 97 season to the 10-6 season under Gailey despite losing Aikman for a third of the year, because I wasn't a fan of the Cowboys and didn't really live through it.

But he certainly did turn the team around and resisted as long as he could against what was obviously an avalanche of personnel-related bad decisions.

I like Gailey because he can manufacture offense and he can manage both sides of the ball in winning fashion.

He can get us back to winning, and combined with Dom Capers, I think he can get us to a Super Bowl.

The last time Gailey and Capers worked together under the same roof, they got the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 12-4 regular season record, a bye week and division championship, and they lost in the AFC Championship game 17-13 to the San Diego Chargers.

I appreciate the insight from your perspective as a Cowboys fan. I hadn't quite emphasized the turnaround from Switzer's disastrous 97 season to the 10-6 season under Gailey despite losing Aikman for a third of the year, because I wasn't a fan of the Cowboys and didn't really live through it.

But he certainly did turn the team around and resisted as long as he could against what was obviously an avalanche of personnel-related bad decisions.

I like Gailey because he can manufacture offense and he can manage both sides of the ball in winning fashion.

He can get us back to winning, and combined with Dom Capers, I think he can get us to a Super Bowl.

The last time Gailey and Capers worked together under the same roof, they got the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 12-4 regular season record, a bye week and division championship, and they lost in the AFC Championship game 17-13 to the San Diego Chargers.

The man has history with both Capers and Hudson Houck, two very important assistants on this team to say the least.

The other thing that goes understated about Gailey's time in Dallas was that he successfully got a bunch of rightfully egotistical (i.e. 3 Super Bowls in 4 years earlier that decade) veterans to buy into a completely new offensive philosophy.

The man has history with both Capers and Hudson Houck, two very important assistants on this team to say the least.

The other thing that goes understated about Gailey's time in Dallas was that he successfully got a bunch of rightfully egotistical (i.e. 3 Super Bowls in 4 years earlier that decade) veterans to buy into a completely new offensive philosophy.

Not so successfully in Troy Aikman's case. He kept wistfully remembering Norv Turner's offense...to this very day.

If he'd just embraced different philosophies, things wouldn't have ended the way they did....but that's his loss to regret.

And as for the point that he has history with both Houck and Capers...that's a great point. But he also has history with the man that looks like he will become our 3rd most important coach on the team...Jason Garrett.

Garrett was his QB for all that time while Aikman had the concussions.

Not so successfully in Troy Aikman's case. He kept wistfully remembering Norv Turner's offense...to this very day.

If he'd just embraced different philosophies, things wouldn't have ended the way they did....but that's his loss to regret.

Well, the funny thing was Aikman was just fine with him in '98, no peeing and moaning from him then because he was having success. What I'll never understand is why he turned on him in '99, knowing full well himself that he was playing with a severely undermanned offense at the receiver position.

And as for the point that he has history with both Houck and Capers...that's a great point. But he also has history with the man that looks like he will become our 3rd most important coach on the team...Jason Garrett.

Garrett was his QB for all that time while Aikman had the concussions.

2 points overall away from actually being 5-0 in Gailey's system for Jason Garrett that year. I think that is a credit to the coach in large part, as much as what he managed with Fiedler here is a credit to him as well. And it's to be emphasized that Garrett didn't succeed there with an incredible offensive suporting cast around him either; those were not the '92-'95 Cowboys personnel-wise by any stretch of the imagination.

He was also recommended for the Pittsburgh job by Bill Cowher, and I suspect Bill would do anything to help that franchise out.

Back
Top Bottom